Ferrari 458 break in procedure. | FerrariChat

Ferrari 458 break in procedure.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Marwan458, Oct 29, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marwan458

Marwan458 Rookie

Oct 24, 2011
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Marwan
    All my cars are BMW M cars, and usually the break in procedure is to drive the engine for 2000km(1200miles) at no more than 5000rpm.

is it the same case with the 458? my Ferrari dealer told me to drive it below 5000rpm for a 1000km(600miles).

is this true? anything else i should know about break-in procedure on my 458?

2. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    What the dealer told you is true. It is noted in the manual. Several F-chaters have followed this while others do not think the car needs a break in period due to the factory testing. I played it safe and followed the manual (Not a easy task to do as the "horse" wants to run and run.....

Have fun and best of luck.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Take the car on one nice long drive and then let it loose! :)

4. da1235

da1235 Karting

Jun 21, 2009
    Wishing Italia
    Turn key, hit the red button, pull back on right lever when the little yellow comes on the steering wheel. That's it!

5. zaid458

zaid458 Rookie

Jan 21, 2011
    having complied with 'break in" procedure, what have u inevitably prevented? i mean whats the worse that could happen if you ignore the recommended procedure?...

6. crcs

crcs Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2009
    Burlington Ontario
    These cars are all already broken in from the factory. The US break in procedure is purely 100% for legal liabilities, basically telling you to take it easy as you get used to the car. US is a lawsuit happy society where some idiot will get into an accident and go all out against the manufacturer, its happened before with the most famous case involving a carrera gt, its also why the US F430's never got the euro-spec launch control.

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That's probably true --- but it's still good advice.

8. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    All markets, not just the US, have the break-in procedure.

9. Marwan458

Marwan458 Rookie

Oct 24, 2011
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Marwan
    Thanks for the advice guys, im in no rush, since i can break-in in a day or two. i'm driving the car in auto mode right now since Auto shidt at 4/5k rpm. i'm past the break in, it's be a whole new experience! :D

i should just drive the card to dubai back and forst, and BAM! break-in over! ;)

10. SL%%

SL%% Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2008
    best advice I had from a good mechanic is this, no matter what car, start the engine, use the car for about 10 mins or 10 miles, don't go erratic, give some time for the oil to heat up and spread throughout the whole engine, gradually increase the rpm and maybe a couple of minutes more, you can go full blast.

with the 458, I believe there is an indicator where it will tell you if the engine needs warmup or you can already go full blast.

11. calitalia

calitalia Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    I have an expert who visited the factory and said you will never believe how well they had test run your car before delivery. They had whipped the engine n run it around the circuit in good manners. No need to baby the car. It wouldn't break... so I heard.

12. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes, it's the oil temp gauge. :rolleyes:

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I still think it's to convince the new owner to take it easy for a while. The threat of breaking the motor is a pretty good way to keep them from going crazy until they get used to it.

14. 16MMM

16MMM Rookie

Sep 14, 2010
    New York
    Full Name:
    Randall
    My dealer advised me at delivery to just "drive it like you stole it"!

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Obviously, he respected your driving ability! :)

16. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I will be doing the break-in per manual as I have for all my cars. That way in the future if something happens or oil consumption is high, I won't be thinking in the back of my mind, did I help cause this problem. I know boats are a little different, my partner and I bought the same series of boats, our vin numbers were 3 different, I broke mine he did not and at 75 hours I am using no oil and he is using 1 quart per 10 hours. I'm not saying this always happens but you never know what other factors are inolved.

17. Street&Track

Street&Track Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Guys, it was interesting yesterday when Dave and I picked up his new Scarlet 458. During delivery the dealer told him that he should observe the "Break in" procedure because the car's black box records max RPM and if something does break during "Break In" it might cause an issue with the warranty. He said "might", it was like why even bring that in to the conversation if something does go wrong:(

It was kind of like, hey observe the "Break In" and there will be no issues, even if there are issues:)

I have observed "Break In" procedures on all my new vehicles and rebuilt engines for my bikes and so far I have had no problems and I mean zero. I know others that have taken a new rebuilt engine and taken it out and run it at a constant speed and rpm for a fairly long time instead of varying the speed and RPM and they have had various ring and valve issues......it is the nature of the beast. But hey, like anything else you can do what you want and YMMV.

18. AlfaR

AlfaR Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Paxson
    My dealer has always told me that they are broken in from the factory. So if I look in the handbook there is a break-in proceedure?

19. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    In my manual, page 152 upper left.

20. jwp98

jwp98 Karting

Aug 16, 2009
    midwest USA
    They only get the rings seated at the factory, true? Full break-in entails much more. I'd follow the manual to the letter.

The black box probably knows if the car has been redlined cold.

I always inform the next owner of my actions, supported, hopefully, by good performance and low oil consumption. I tend to log a lot of miles so I try to allay any concerns the next owner may have. They aren't all "hard" miles.

21. crcs

crcs Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2009
    Burlington Ontario
    Some members reported in other markets the manuals stating different requirements. Its a liability thing. Get used to the car before pushing it hard.

22. ReinD

ReinD Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2010
    From page 136 in the manual ...

Driving the vehicle

Running-in

The latest manufacturing techniques have allowed us to achieve
    high precision and accuracy levels in the construction and assembly
    of components. Nonetheless, the vehicle movable parts undergo a
    settling process, basically during the first hours of operation.

Engine and transmission

Avoid exceeding 5,000 RPM for the first 1,000 km (620 mi).

After starting, do not exceed 4,000 RPM until the engine has
    warmed up (oil temperature: 65-70 °C/149-158 °F).

Do not let the engine run at a constantly high speed for a
    prolonged time.

23. SL%%

SL%% Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2008
    #23 SL%%, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    in the last pic,wouldn't the tires be on fire by then?

25. SL%%

SL%% Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2008
    so far we haven't seen any 458 with the tires causing the fire hahahaha =)