Jealousy | FerrariChat

Jealousy

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by niptuc, Oct 31, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. niptuc

niptuc Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    New Jersey
    #1 niptuc, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am annoyed but shouldn't be surprised. Last week the tire pressure light came on. I stopped at Lukoil and filled the tire and didn't see a nail or anything. It held air for a few days and this morning the tire was low again. I was going to get it checked out and as I was I driving the air pressure kept getting lower. I pulled into the tire shop that has done work for my other cars and they found a knife cut in the sidewall. Who would do something like that? Pigs. Jealous pigs. We don't get these cars handed to us (most of us) but work our tails off for years so we can buy things like this. I am really annoyed. But that let's them win so I am going to just get a new tire and be done with the aggravation. The hell with them. My question to everyone is would you trust the tire guys to change the tire or send to Ferrari for this? I called Ferrari and they don't stock the tire. The tire guy can get one overnight for tomorrow. Also, how many miles would you say you need to replace both back tires? I have about 5900 miles on the car. OK, well, I hope everyone else has a better Monday!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    Sorry to hear about the incident. Although I have heard worse stories, its equally miserable when you have your own problem. Do you know where you would have left it when this occurred? Parking lot, parking garage, etc. Not so good area possibly?

Check your wear marker on the tire. At almost exactly 5900 miles (5980), I needed new tires. If the wear is minimal I think you can get away with changing just one. Im a little anal about things like tires and like them to always match. Not necessarily front to back, but side to side.

3. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    And that's the thing that will never cross the tiny little mind of the guy with the knife...

4. -EZtrader-

-EZtrader- Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    That's terrible. I had worse on my scuderia when I first took delivery. Came out from a movie (carefully parked in back of lot) and had a 2 foot key job on my passenger door.

I just paid to get fixed and moved on - not worth getting too upset.

5. niptuc

niptuc Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    New Jersey
    I agree. Just move on. But people suck.

6. Hexnut72

Hexnut72 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2006
    With the e-diff, stability control and traction control etc. that rely on measurements of speed that directly relate to the diameter of the tires, get two new rear tires so they are the same size.

Tire shops specialize in tires and any of them that deal with nicer cars on a regular basis will have the equipment to change the tires. If you have any doubts ask them about the equipment they use to deal with low profile tires and larger rims.

7. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Yes, quite a lot of them do. Fortunately, you also get experiences that lift your spirits. I'm sure one is right around the corner.

Onno

8. Street&Track

Street&Track Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    For what it is worth, I would get a new set of tires. At 6K miles you have got to have some wear on them and if you get a new set of Michelin SuperSports you will be amazed at the difference, unless that is what you were running:). I switched my Bridgestones at 2000 miles to SuperSports and it was night and day difference.

On a side note, I ran over a piece of metal in my 430 and it was bent in a 45 degree angle. I just got a glimpse of it as it emerged in front of me and when I ran over it, it came up and actually punctured my sidewall just like a knife. If I hadn't gotten a glimpse of the piece of metal, I would not have believed that it could do that. Anyway, it did not make any noise and I did not think anything of it, I couldn't feel a thing. Not soon after I started to get a slow leak and when I went in to the tire shop the guy said it looks like someone stuck a knife in the tire, but then I told him about the piece of metal that I ran over the day before and he said, yeah, that happens sometimes, you just have to hit something with a bit of an angle on it and with these low profile tires it doesn't take much to get up on the side wall.

I am not saying that is what happened you your car, but if they took the time and effort to stick a knife in the tire and didn't do anything else to the car, nothing to any of the other tires, then maybe just maybe you ran over something. At least that is a better thought than the alternative:)

9. niptuc

niptuc Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    New Jersey
    Onno- Thanks for the happy thought. Street&Track- I am going to tell myself it was a piece of metal. Don't remember hitting one but who knows...... THANKS

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #10 TheMayor, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
    Highly annoying --- but that was it's purpose. So, don't let them annoy you.

I agree I'd get an entire set. Any good tire replacement center can do this. You need to ask them first though (don't assume). Even if you took it to the dealer, they would send it out.

11. niptuc

niptuc Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    New Jersey
    Bdelp- You are really a wealth of knowledge and even little insights like this are so helpful that thank you for hanging out on the site. I did not realize the dealer would send it out. They told me they would have to order the tires as they don't stock them so I figured by the time I had it flatbedded 50 miles and then waited for tires and then came back it just wasn't worth it going to the dealer. Truth is the tires probably would cost twice as much at the dealer anyway. I'll replace the set as it makes no sense for me not to. Thanks!

12. Street&Track

Street&Track Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    #12 Street&Track, Oct 31, 2011
    The Super Sports are really phenomenal and they were priced within a couple of bucks to the Pilot Sports that they replaced.

When you first get in and drive them out of the tire store parking lot, it would be good to get your first impressions. I noticed a big difference to the Bridgestones but others have said there is a difference between Pilot Sports and Super Sports and I would hope so.

Good for you Niptuc, take as an opportunity to upgrade your tires, it is more fun that way:)

13. calitalia

calitalia Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    I am just angry at seeing this happening to a fellow Fchatter. This is ridiculous. These are static art and should be admired but apparently people's hatred and jealousy are so big that they had to do something silly like this. Anyway, I see this trend around the World with OWS and protests across US and Continental Europe and even spreading to Asia. I agree that we work years for these and many of us are good fiduciaries who exercise duty and obligation and yet we are being smeared by the 0.1% of culprits on WS. Yet, people get jealous and unlike the 80s, these days, good cars like a Ferrari raises eye brows and perhaps a few in a negative manner.

Anyway, the good news, not that it's gonna help, is that the guy could have done much worst with his knife. If he ran it along the body, that would truly be costly.

Anyway, I am as upset seeing this as you are. This is crazy. Perhaps next time we make sure we park in safe spots.

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Well, I don't want to get all P and R here. It's possible the tire was cut with something on the road so I wouldn't draw too many conclusions.

If it was a moron --- he's just a moron and his action means nothing. He's going to be a moron tomorrow and the OP will have a new set of tires.

If it was an accident -- it's just a little money. Stuff happens.

15. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    #15 nizam, Oct 31, 2011
    Evan - a similar thing happened to my old F355 some years ago. I had the car parked in the Visitor area of an apartment complex and visited with some friends. Drove home without incident and parked the car. The next morning, I decide to take the car to work and realized it was "different" somehow. I checked the tire pressures (no TPMS!) and found that one tire was down to 10psi!

I took the wheel off and inspected the tire and there was a nail head right in between the treadblocks of the Potenza S-01. The thought of foul play didn't even enter my mind until I got to the tire shop and they took the tire off the rim. The 2" FRAMING NAIL had gone perfectly perpendicular into the tire! The technician at the store gave an opinion that the nail couldn't have been picked up casually on the street, at least not like that. He theorized someone leaned the nail right up against the tread which would puncture it at the angle it did when I backed up the car out of its parking space. :(

Like you, I got angry for a short while then got over it and bought a pair of new S-01's. Jealousy. What can you do.

16. calitalia

calitalia Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    Agree. I have learnt throughout the years. I have always been a perfectionist and would fret and frown over the slightest stone chip and sister running her stilettos sharp ends on the side skirt but at the end of the day, let's not get unhappy. If money can fix it, fix it and move on. If some moron did that, don't waste time getting upset. Fix it move on. However, if someone were really jealous, could have done much worst.

17. calitalia

calitalia Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    Be careful. Park in good spots. Avoid Wall Street and protesters throwing hot dogs at you for jealousy. Tyres are easily changed, get a new set, move one and don't get upset over morons as Bdelp said, morons, will be morons.

18. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Get all new Michelin Pilot Super Sports! Shop for the size you need on tirerack.com or discounttire.com to ensure you don't get taken. I got a price from my dealer yesterday that was 45% higher than the websites. The dealer said they would install them for me if I got them someothere place for $145. Needless to say I'm picking up the tires at discount tire and dropping them at the dealer. (for somer reason I feel better about having the dealer install the tires than just any old tire dealer...likely unfounded concern I'm told, but still...)

19. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    That could be just something you hit but you never know.

One thing is, actually cutting into a tire with a knife is pretty hard to do and takes time. Go try it some time on an old one and see.

20. Jdriver

Jdriver Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    It really sucks when someone does something like this. I came out of a restaurant one night and found two kids about to pry the round Cavallino emblem from the center of one of my wheels with a small knife. I walked right up to them quietly and said "what the he'll do you think you're doing?" they were startled, jumped up and ran off. I reported it to the restaurant owner whom I know but I'm sure there is nothing they can do. I caught them in time and there was no damage but it makes me think twice about where I park. At the end of the day you can't worry about this stuff or you'll never enjoy the car and I simply refuse to let that happen, I love the cars so much!

21. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Evan, very sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds like a great excuse to get the Michelins! I hope you never have another experience like this one and hope it was from the road instead of a Moron.

22. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    +1. I tried to cut an old tire that I had. It was really tough. It wasn't a high performance low profile one but rubber is rubber.

If it was a person(moron) try to think of where it happened to make sure you don't have a round two. I would hate to see you post a new thread about how after 100 miles some ass got his jollies off by slicing your tire again.

It could have been a dare from some wise ass teen and his buddies.

Best of luck with your new set.

23. niptuc

niptuc Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    New Jersey
    This week has been trying to say the least. When I last typed I was leaving my 458 at the tire shop and replacing the back tires. I didn't really know if it was stabbed or I hit a piece of metal but it didn't matter. On Tuesday, they called to say, we have a problem.....

Don't you love when we have a problem, your car needs to go to the dealer is all they will tell you? So, apparently after putting the tire on the wheel they ran into an issue putting it back on the car.

The threads apparently need to go into holes and not into your brakes. Imagine that? I have no idea what they did. Something about a spinning plate in the brakes. All, I know is that Ferrari now has my car and tells me the part to replace it would be $8500 that does not include labor or towing that is only the cost of rotor and parts.

Somehow they destroyed my rotor? Any idea here? I have yet to see the final explanation from Ferrari as been "working on it" and had to order parts. Should know more tomorrow. All i know is that I am glad she is at the Ferrari dealer and they can put her back to normal.

As far as insurance, the tire place is "taking full responsibility" and has called Zurich their insurance company. We will see. Somehow I doubt it is going to be easy getting them to pay for this. I asked Ferrari to take lots of pictures and they are.....

24. vsp

vsp Rookie

Feb 21, 2011
    Probably we can catch the guy who did it from the Occupy Wall Street crowd:)

25. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Dear oh dear Evan, no lady luck on your side this week. Sorry to hear that, I hope it gets sorted out quick and without cost to you.

Onno