Anyone have experience with new Jag XF? | FerrariChat

Anyone have experience with new Jag XF?

Discussion in 'British' started by nathandarby67, Nov 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #1 nathandarby67, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
    My brother is shopping for a "non girly 4 door car". He is really liking the Jag XF, but is worried about the usual Jaguar reliability stuff. Does anyone here have one or have any experience with one? I have had a long time hankering for an XK8/R and have read up a lot in those, but don't know much about the XF. What's the word on these things?

2. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Non girly four door?

BMW M5?

3. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    The XF is a great ride and far superior (looks wise) than the Bimmer.

If he's comparing against the M5, better look at an XFR ($80k).

4. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    He's looking "gently used", probably 1-2 years old, 10-20K miles.

He read on Edmunds or somewhere that a lot of the 09's had electrical problems....any relative truth to this? How big a deal is it compared to Benz, BMW, etc?

5. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    My wife had a 2009 Jaguar XF and had till last year with about 30,000 miles. It was a great car, that gave us no issues or problems. It was far better than her E350, and we replaced the XF with a Panamera. I have to say, I really cannot say enough good things about the XF.

6. monte patterson

monte patterson Karting

Feb 26, 2009
    maitland florida
    Full Name:
    LAMBOGUY
    The Jaguar Factory team was at Daytona this weekend and had professional drivers taking clients out on the track at full speed. There was not a problem with the car, even after being hammered three days on the "Rolex 24 Hour" course. I don't think they even changed tires and that track, at those speeds can eat up a set very quickly. Tell your Brother to get the Jag. he won't be sorry. Also, go to the florida region and look at the pictures "horsepower" put up today of the event.

7. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    He's getting close to pulling the trigger. He found one at a carmax in Texas. It's a 2010 with about 20k miles on I think. They have a deal where they will ship it to your local carmax for $99, with no commitment to buy on your part of you don't like the car. Car should be here in a week or so, so we will see how it goes.

8. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    My GF has one and no problems. It is a great car.

9. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Does anybody have any experience with the XFR?......If so, how does it compare to the German super sedans.

I personally love the looks, the interior and road presence the XFR has and you can find them for relatively good prices second hand.

10. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I'm on my 3rd jag , right now I'm in a 07 s type r ,click my pics, I have it as a daily.

This one is truly better than the last two , it's the same as any Benz and bummer at repair time , and fuel consumption, I recommend them highly.

Dealer channel is top notch, and the cars are very reliable, going into the xfr when I'm done with this one, they are rare,reliable,and fun.

The r versions are much more raw, if you a lot of hwy driving then you will enjoy the stiffness and power on tap in the r version models, if you do 50/50 with city and hwy, go for the regular versions, they are much more easy to live with, when I do city in the r,I tend to annoyed of the stiff ride,hard power.

Will never go back to MB

11. CCentore

CCentore Rookie

Sep 16, 2004
    Concord, MA
    Full Name:
    Charlie C
    Drove a XF Supercharged for 3 years with no major issues. Car was blast to drive and performed as expected.

Traded for new XJ Supercharged. Now there's a hot rod.. 470 ponies, not much is quicker for a 2 ton car.

Buy it you'll love it...

12. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #12 nathandarby67, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    He got a nice car !!! Congrats !!

14. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Congrats!

What a beautiful sedan and so much nicer than any of the German sedans!

15. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Lots of class to my eye......

16. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I finally got a chance to drive his new XF this past weekend.

WOW! What a fantastic car. I had high expectations going in, but this thing blew past all of them. His car has about 28K miles and felt as solid as a bank vault. My wife drives a Lexus IS 250 and I think the XF is even a bit better from that standpoint. The interior fit and finish is impeccable. Seats are wonderful. It has great steering feel for a large car, and corners quite flatly. It has that very firm, but very well damped suspension feel. It is not rough at all. It cruises along with great silence and composure, but when you put your foot down there is a sudden great V8 rumble from the exhaust that is very prominent and aggressive, but not too boy-racer sounding for a sophisticated automobile. It has instant gobs of torque with throttle tip in, and doesn't run out of breath on top. It has very strong acceleration as well...I can't imagine ever feeling you needed more power for the type of car it is. (Of course, I sure wouldn't turn down an XFR!) I believe his XF has about 390 hp, and that felt like plenty. The difference in torque between the XF and my wife's IS was the most profound difference.

When we were shopping for my wife's car we drove the IS 250/350, Mercedes C class, BMW 3 series, and Audi A4 and A6. I know they aren't all in the exact same market segment, but the XF is as good and honeslty probably better than any of those, in my opinion.

If you are even remotely considering one, do yourself a favor and go drive one. I think you will be hooked.

17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #17 Need4Spd, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I went from an M5 to an '11 Jaguar XFR as my daily driver and couldn't agree more! The XFR is about as fast as the e60 M5 yet much more comfortable and seems to come out of corners faster due to its massive torque and e-differential. Around here, BMWs and even Ms seem commonplace, but I seldom see XFs and almost never see XFRs (though there are quite a number of XKs and XKRs). After around 8k miles, I've only had to have a window switch module replaced, and a sunroof seal (because the replaced unit was noisy). So far, not much difference in reliablity vs. BMW.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JsHCCice04[/ame]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Beautiful! I love that color, and the subtly aggressive stance of the R. After experiencing the torque of his 5 liter XF, I can't imagine what your R must feel like!

19. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Interesting....Is the back of your XF as large as the E60 M5?
    I love my M5 and can fit three car seats in the back for the kiddos...the XFR looks so sweet though. I was considering one for the wife.
    But don't you miss the "M" button? :)

20. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My uncle has an XF & loves it!