2012 Jeep Wrangler | FerrariChat

2012 Jeep Wrangler

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by jonesdds, Sep 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Anyone here have one yet? I ordered one a month ago, just wondering about a Ferrari owners perspective(already heard from the Jeep folk).

Something new for me, I'm hoping I can stand it on the highway. I'm going to love it on my fishing trips.

Jeff

2. AlfaR

AlfaR Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Paxson
    Is the 2012 a new model? I have a 2008 with about 1800 miles on it. It is fun car but I miss the old 4.0l inline 6. I had a 2004 Rubicon which was lifted and it did just fine on the freeway. Strong winds will push it around on the highway but other than that it is fine.

3. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    2012 has the newPentstar v6, up considerably on hp and about 20 more on torque. Also interior is a lot nicer starting in 2011.

4. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Sorry to bump an old thread but does anyone else have any input on the 2012's? I'm seriously considering purchasing one.

5. 1991

1991 Karting

Feb 25, 2009
    Winnipeg
    Full Name:
    Braeden
    I sell these for a living. I can't say enough good things about them.

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  7. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

We have one in our family. 2012 Unlimited. Love it!

8. brownsgolf

brownsgolf Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2007
    Western PA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #8 brownsgolf, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
    I'm thinking about making the change to one, was looking at either this or a Grand Cherokee. How are the driving dynamics of the car? Have to do do a test drive of both still.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Somewhere between poor and horrendous. But that's not why one chooses a Wrangler!

10. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    I disagree. We test drove one today, right after driving an X5 and a Countryman. The Wrangler cornered substantially better then we expected and much flatter then the X5.
    The ride was good and the handling was good, but there was one unlivable problem: the rear seats are incredibly uncomfortable. The seat backs are practically vertical. We thought the biggest problem for long drives would be the freeway ride, but that was fine, but an adult could not be comfortable back there for more then 3 minutes and my kids said it was the most uncomfortable seat they had ever been in.

11. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Should be of interest: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345802

I'd love to have a Unlimited with a manual. I just discovered a week or two ago that they no longer offer the 2WD version. I might be labeled a poser but I have no need for 4WD and I liked the idea of the cost savings both in terms of MSRP and MPG (even if only marginal).

12. Otter

Otter Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2008
    Franklin,NC
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I've driven Jeeps for many years and always have one handy!! When you hear people say "Its a Jeep thing" it is, its the most all around vehicle on the road!! Otter

13. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Amen to that. I miss the throttle cable, too! I should have waited for a manual as well. I always feel like the tranny is "guessing" a lot. I have to say, though -- except for replacing the steering stabilizer, I haven't had any problems and have racked up 81,000+ miles on my '08 Sahara Unlimited. Fun, and very capable right out of the box, even if it can't get out of it's own way :)

14. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #14 Chiaro_Slag, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I love the powdercoat look on Wranglers.

as for the color, does it really matter that you used a Bentley color vs. standard Jeep black, or whatever PPG/DuPont, etc has? I would imagine that the nature of the powdercoat (or whatever the exact process is) alters the color anyway.

also, what kind of "care and feeding" does it take...ie how do you clean this paint :confused:

16. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    I wish they sold the 2.8 VM Motori Diesel version in North America1

17. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    That is just bad a$$!!!

18. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Nope, just that dark grey isn't a standard color and I like the color on the Jeep. They can do this in many different colors. There is even a pink one I saw on eBay yesterday. Hopefully I just hose it down and I'm good to go. Not sure yet as I haven't washed it yet, but it is not a paint that yould wipe dry like normal paint. Not sure you would have to though because it doesn't leave spots - I had it out in heavy rain yesterday. Seems like it is easier to care for than normal paint and is supposed to be fairness not to fade, crack, etc. Will have to wait and see how it holds up.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

19. NTB

NTB Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #19 NTB, Dec 1, 2011
  20. AlfaR

AlfaR Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Paxson
    I just bought a 2012 White Rubicon...hopefully it will be here soon.

21. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #21 4re Nut, Dec 20, 2011
    Might be of interest: http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/Vehicles/2012-jeep-wrangler/

She just got new "shoes" for Christmas...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    So for all the hardcore Jeep guys, does this new re-design pass the test? Honestly, I prefer the more basic looks of the previous Jeeps myself. These new ones seem to be loaded with crap and more complicated, so if something breaks while you are out on the trail, its bad news...

Keep in mind I am in NO WAY qualified in making of my opinion, but am I wrong or right?

23. Doctor7474

Doctor7474 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2010
    Hoover Al,former Atl
    Full Name:
    Doctor
    The drivetrain is pretty standard (solid axles) so they are not that bad. I have a 06 Rubicon last of the TJ's and I hated the new ones because of the engine mainly (the 3.8 are turds) and the fact they got bigger. However with me having a company car and the wife fast approaching needing a new vehicle and after driving the new Pentastar engined 4 door Rubicon a while back Im very seriously considering a new one. Im a hardcore Jeep guy but from what I have heard of the new engine they are great. The other electronics (ABS, compfort stuff ect..) wouldn't leave you stranded on the trail, everything else is still basic things like solid axles, drive shafts, old school steering ect...

24. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Just to provide my input again after 6 k miles. Been very happy with how it drives, much better on road than imagined. It's been in Park City since early December and not really used to its best advantages due to the lack of snow and my not having been driving it bein away. Can't wait until summer to hit the trails for my camping and fishing trips.