Unbelievable!! Wheel Wizard Atlanta Georgia | FerrariChat

Unbelievable!! Wheel Wizard Atlanta Georgia

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by bcwawright, Nov 15, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #1 bcwawright, Nov 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Never have asked for help, but am in much need now.

These are pics of F355 magnesium wheels which we did a long term test on. They were completely refinished by Wheel Wizard in Atlanta Georgia. Immediately upon completion they were placed back in the boxes and stored in a climate controlled storage area....tires were never mounted, and the wheels were never put on a car.

After being in a PERFECT controlled enviroment for 6 years this is the results. Remember this, IF these wheels were properly prepped and sealed they should have lasted 25+ years in a climate controlled enviroment.

I have called and emailed with NO RESPONSE. It is clearly evident that either they don't know what they are doing, or their materials and procedures for refurbishing magnesium wheels is majorly flawed.

This should be a wake-up call to all who have,or planning to have, magnesium parts refinished. There is a "Right" way and a "Wrong" way and if you don't know which is which you could wind up in the same boat as me. I found out about these people from a Ferrari dealer and just assumed that they were up to speed on magnesuim wheels......

It makes me soooooo angry when a company will not owe up to their mistakes......instead of trying to work something out they just ignore you as though you were nothing. I am tired of companies like this who take your money and then snub their nose at you like you when they are at fault.

If you can call and email that might get their attention.......if nothing more it will show that we are truly a community/brotherhood that cannot be ignored when one of us is wronged.

Thanks in advance to all.

email: [email protected] Jonathan Cazenave(Mgr) or Wendall Davidson(owner)

Phone: 1-770-451-6333

Toll Free Phone: 1-800-615-2203

Again, many thanks for your support
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Did they claim to know how to handle magnesium?

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I've always been well pleased with work they have done for me on Ferrari, BMW, Fiat and Viper wheels...

4. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Absolutely, YES. Represented themselves as experts in refinishing magnesium wheels.

5. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Have you driven over there?

6. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Frank, that may be the case with your wheels(are yours magnesium?), but the pics of these magnesium wheels show otherwise. I have tried to get them to simpley redo or refund the money and they refuse to communicate or resolve this issue. This is clearly a fault with their refinish....it is a no brainer..

7. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Long drive....lol

8. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Ah.. I see you're in Texas. They come highly recommended but I saw one wheel they did and wasn't blown away.

9. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    They can do a great job on a thousand wheels, but you really find out the truth when they mess up 1 set. Tells you alot about the character and integrity of the company and its' owner and manager.

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I have no idea, but I believe TR, 328, 348 and BB512i wheels are all magnesium? Regardless, 6 years is a long time to expect a company to warranty a refinishing job...any statute of limitations would have expired years ago...I believe their paperwork only provides for a 90 day warranty...what does the paperwork you have say?

11. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I have a response in the "Technical" forum.

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Does anyone have any experience with Metro Wheels in Marietta?

13. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    How many threads were started on this topic??

14. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I feel your pain. It's too bad they got screwed up. They must take your word for the storage and all. I believe you 100% but there are those that make a claim and don't fess up the truth. I agree they should last but it looks like moisture is coming out of the wheel and bubbled the paint. Any unpainted spot will let water in. Maybe they didn't paint all the surfaces and it let water in.

15. DanRC30

DanRC30 Rookie

Dec 8, 2011
    Sorry guys to revive this old thread, but I'm looking to have a set of magnesium wheels refinished also and I came upon this thread in a google search. What's happening here is the magnesium is corroding under the paint. If magnesium isn't sealed correctly, it will corrode. Magnesium needs a coating by DOW product to protect it from O2; in my case it's a DOW #7 coating, and then it needs to be painted immediately and baked at 150-180F. Powder coating will not work. I have found two places that can coat them in the Dow #7: PTI Industries in CT, and Tech Plate Inc in CA. PTI doesn't paint in house, but TechPlate does. You can google them for their contact info.

The wheels pictured are not safe to use other than to hold up your garden hose. Sorry, but that's just how it is.

I hope this info helps anyone looking to have their magnesium wheels refinished properly.

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks!

We talk about proper treatment of our cast wheels all the time.

It is very important, and sadly there's a lot of shops out there saying "We can do it!!"

Welcome and thanks for the info on those vendors.
    In his resto thread Napolis does a whole BUNCH of vintage P4 wheels, and they did it correctly.....Not sure who he used.

17. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    While I have used Wheel Wizard before with satisfactory results, I usually use Bo Pirkle for any painting needs of my Ferrari, including wheels.

18. DanRC30

DanRC30 Rookie

Dec 8, 2011
    Well, glad I could help. I don't own a Ferrari (although I'd like to; 348 or 355 please), but I figured the info might help someone out. It's amazing how little info is out there on magnesium and how everyone claims they know what to do, and most do not. I can say that OEM usually knows what is correct and since I stripped my Marchesini wheels to expose the DOW7 coating, I think that's the way to go.

When it comes to aluminum, straight forward powder coating is the way to go.

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There is a Technical Paper "out there" on it with a long name, I read it and printed it out once.

The mantra I use on mine is DON'T strip the original sealer!!!

But Ferrari resto has a strong "take it the bone" mentality to it sometimes.

20. pressuretested

pressuretested Karting

Sep 29, 2004
    peachtree city, ga
    Full Name:
    bryson richards
    I don't think Wendall owns it anymore. I've had good experiences w them on rim repair as well.

I did Geoff's Campy mag wheels couple years ago on his Pantera and he's still roll'n pretty! Just recently did work for his Triumph.

21. Pantera72

Pantera72 Rookie

Jul 18, 2006
    Atlanta, Georgia USA
    An acquaintance had his Campys done by Wheel Wizard maybe 8 years ago. They were powder coated not painted. He stored the wheels and I do not know what their present condition is.

I opted for painting to retain the original sand cast appearance. Bryson did a great job and 2 years later they look as good as when he refinished them.

Bryson’s work is excellent and reasonably priced.

Jeff
    (Not related to Bryson or a paid celebrity endorsement!)

22. DanRC30

DanRC30 Rookie

Dec 8, 2011
    As long as the Dow 7 coating is over the magnesium, the wheels will be fine. I just sent my rims to TechPlate in CA for the Dow coating and paint. Can't wait to get them back. :)

23. pressuretested

pressuretested Karting

Sep 29, 2004
    peachtree city, ga
    Full Name:
    bryson richards
    I think someone has tried to over complicate this procedure. Painting Alum / Mag is different then painting other metals / steels, yes... When priming or sealing them you cannot use urethane primer directly to the top of the Alum. Urethane and Laquer primers have NO corrosion resistance. Alum does not rust... no but it still oxidizes. You must have an etching (2 part cataylized) primer that chemically bites into the Alum / Mag to prevent air and moisture from traveling under the substrate. I use Epoxy primers and mix my ratio's to use it as a sealer and spray that first. I also take a red scotch brite pad and right before coating scuff the wheel up. It doesn't matter if I just blasted the wheel 30 mins or 4 hours before.. This ensures I have fresh top surface and I use a combination of reducer / wax & grease remover solvent based cleaner before tacking down. Any waterborne based pre-cleaners can cause problems.

Any moisture in the line that can travel through the spray gun can be a problem too so I double check my dryers before hand too and run a pre-gun filter as well.

It's not a complicated process, just a couple extra steps to ensure durability and some different chemicals.

24. DanRC30

DanRC30 Rookie

Dec 8, 2011
    Magnesium will corrode no matter what you do unless it's Dow coated.

25. pressuretested

pressuretested Karting

Sep 29, 2004
    peachtree city, ga
    Full Name:
    bryson richards
    Dow is a chemical company, same as BASF, PPG, DuPont, etc...

Sounds as if someone has told you "it's only good if it's Dow"...

BASF, PPG, Sherwin Williams, etc... all have procedures and chemicals for coating Magnesium, Alum, Galvanized steel...etc

Saying only Dow will stop corrosion sounds like a sales pitch. Most likely Dow buys an ingredient or two from BASF or DuPont to make that chemical ;)

The Dow 7 coating is a procedure used by Dow and is succesful but it's not the only way.

http://www.chemical-supermarket.com/Dow-7-Magnesium-Treatment-Compound-p652.html

Almost all major paint manuf have an etch for the use over Mag or Alum and all metals. Used the way they say to use them and follow the steps laid out they work.

http://www.basfrefinish.com/vta/R-M/DE18.htm

http://www.basfrefinish.com/vta/R-M/EP589-2.htm

We can go round and round. If you have found the Dow method works for you and you have a shop you are happy w then by all means use them. But saying a sales pitch is the only way... it's not.