I phone 4 does not work in the Cali | FerrariChat

I phone 4 does not work in the Cali

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Marcos 612, Aug 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcos 612

Marcos 612 Rookie

Aug 25, 2006
    Lost Angeles
    Full Name:
    Marc marshall
    I cant believe this. I have had a cali for about 2 years and just switched from a blackberry to the I phone 4. The phone will not work!!! Just talked to the dealer and he told me that the I phone 4 is not compatible to the head unit. I asked him if they are going to do a software update to fix the problem and he told me that the factory will not give him a answer. I think this is really bad cutomer service. Any advise?

2. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    Certain aspects of Ferrari don't surprise me, this being one. I guess that they're not Honda, definitely not Mercedes Benz but they are Ferrari....'Nuff Said :)

3. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    My iPhone 4 pairs to my 2011 Cali but it sometimes plays up and drops in and out of paired mode.

4. Marcos 612

Marcos 612 Rookie

Aug 25, 2006
    Lost Angeles
    Full Name:
    Marc marshall
    Does it download your contacts?

5. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Yes it does.

6. ehrst

ehrst Karting

Jun 20, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    sse
    My droid works but also drops in and out of pairing. I have noticed this in my other vehicles (mercedes, range rover) as well. One wonders if smart phones are better computers than phones. My previous phone was not a smart phone and I did not see these issues.

7. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    My iphone 3 works just fine. After I did a software upgrade to version 4.2.1 (8C148) the iphone didnt work. I was able to solve the problem by deleting the old iphone from my Cali head unit and re-pairing with a new 4 digit code.

Now the phone pairs automatically with access to my contacts.

8. sg69

sg69 Karting

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    #8 sg69, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
    My iPhone 4 is working fine. Bluetooth pairs and works, address book loads... Btw. I have an 09 Cali as well. Try deleting the old blackberry pairing and make sure Bluetooth is turned on in the iPhone. Also reboot the phone as this usually will clear up any goofy behavior.

9. RickyB

RickyB Rookie

Mar 16, 2011
    My iPhone 4 works fine too!! please follow the instruction its little tricky !! Remember its Ferrari ! :)

10. K1Spyder

K1Spyder Rookie

Mar 3, 2010
    Ft Luderdale
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    My 2011 is in the shop for the same issues They are supposed to be updating the software.

11. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    i have 2011 and my I phone4 works fine with it my service is with verizon??

12. kobe

kobe Karting

Mar 3, 2011
    New Jersey
    I also have iPhone 4 problems (AT&T provider). Is the only way to operate the phone through the voice activation?

13. Cavalier

Cavalier Karting

Nov 9, 2010
    Tiburon, Calif.
    It took a while to pair the first time, but my 2011 works fine with iPhone 4. It gave the sales guy a workout though.

14. calitalia

calitalia Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    My phone worked and then degraded to drop in and out then to today I deleted it try to pair it again and iPhone 4 found the Ferrari pairing. When I press on it, it said pairing didn't work the Ferrari wasn't ready and couldn't pair.

I called dealer and dealer said California n 458 have this problem now. I couldn't believe this would be pretty standard for even a VW golf and most other cars and given how popular iPhone 4 is, this is quite unacceptable considering the bracket of car Ferrari is in. Maybe the Italians are not so tech savvy? Well instead of spending time on it, I give up. Electronic glitches can be problematic. Wifi update for McLaren? Good luck... iPhone always gets new firmware and becker can't update fast enough is a serious customer issue. My car is a 2011.

15. Mrosenthal

Mrosenthal Rookie

Nov 21, 2011
    S. Florida
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I'm still having trouble with the iPhone 4 in my 2011 Cali. Has anyone gotten the software upgrade that I've read about in some of these threads yet?

BTW, I'm a new member, I love my car and I'm happy to join y'all.

Thanks,

Matt

16. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    The same head unit is used on other cars such as Chrysler. Perhaps the OEM has a solution?

17. hotbmwm3

hotbmwm3 Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2006
    Melbourne and London
    Full Name:
    Owner -09 California
    I have a 2009 and my iPhone 4 works perfectly in it

18. kobe

kobe Karting

Mar 3, 2011
    New Jersey
    Ferrari USA called me last week and told me that the software fix should be available within the next couple of weeks. Check with your service department.

19. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Welcome to Fchat!
    Feel free to post pictures of your Cali so we can drool over it.

20. rich_daystrom

rich_daystrom Rookie

Mar 15, 2008
    Does anyone have an update on iPhone 4 compatibility with California? I cannot get mine to work. Phone pairs and dials and phone call starts over the speaker, but then the radio kicks in and you can't talk either through the car system or through the iPhone. Can't change source on iPhone (basically locked-in).
    It's a Verizon iPhone 4 with system 5.0.1 and a 2012 California.
    Thanks.

21. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Rich, I have a 2012 Cali and my iPhone 4S seems to work perfectly. It is the ATT phone but I would guess that has nothing to do with it.

Rick

22. jasonrhcastle

jasonrhcastle Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Jason RH Castle
    Rich

I think that the Bluetooth stack on the iPhone 4S is different than iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 has Bluetooth 2.1 vs Bluetooth 4.0 on the 4S.

This may be the differentiating factor...

J

23. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    My iPhone 4 does not work in my Cali. finally turned the bluetooth off.

24. Mrosenthal

Mrosenthal Rookie

Nov 21, 2011
    S. Florida
    Full Name:
    Matt
    OK, here is the deal. There is a secret update for the California software that fixes the iPhone 4 issues. Ask/beg your dealer to install it. I got mine upgraded last week and it works perfectly, actually better than perfectly. It is now the clearest Bluetooth connection I have ever heard/used/spoke on.

Rick - I bet the 2012 has the update already and that is why yours works.

25. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    I have an iPhone 4S and it has always worked perfectly. My car is May 2011 delivery and never had a software update....

Update your phone ;-)