The passion is gone... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The passion is gone...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by judge4re, Jan 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Actually, my wife has. She's a great mom to our son. You don't need stuff when you have a great family.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Um.........yes???

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You have been at a long time, do what I do, and push a sailboat out into the water (or even a surfboard) and enjoy the day.

They aren't making any more of them you know!!

Regards to the family, and when they get thru paving over in Austin, you had better show up and have a cold one with me!!

4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Funny thing is that my favorite place to go on vacation is staying at home.

5. Infidel

Infidel Guest

Jan 19, 2011
    Southeast, USA
    I'm sure she's tops.

Happy wife, happy life.

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yep, you've been a globe trotter for some time, I totally 'get" that.

I was pretty upset when Mom went to sell our place at the Lake thinking no one used it ...I told her my girls all like it..LOL!

But they like to be alone, to sunbathe topless...:D :D

It's back in the portfolio for now...

I totally get the "good book in the armchair" too, with some good music in the background....

7. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Nothing wrong with that. It's all good.

-F

8. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Shhhh they might call us 'shut-in's'..

9. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Ok, that's all good then. Does she have new rotors and pads or just pads? Front and rear?

When you say the hydraulics were gone through, were the hoses all changed and the valves and pumps re-sealed?

What kind of tires on her?

Sorry, don't mean to be the picky one here, but I'm happy to spin the car over to the guys on the RROC forum (which is the most likely place it'll sell), I just want to make sure all of the ducks are in a row mechanically before I put it up there. If you can, post some more pics up of the car here or send them to me via email. The color is lovely, and if the mechanicals are to snuff, I'm happy to help find it a new home.

10. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Where the hell are the mods? He can't post stuff like this here. :mad:

11. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    New pads, rotors were in spec.

Some bits were changed (don't have the list in front of me), but she holds pressure and hasn't leaked since.

New Michelins, less than 500 miles on them, needs a respray, but would make a nice driver/project car, which is what I bought it as.

I'm not worried if none of them sell, the combined value is much less than 1% of my net worth. I'd donate them to some charity if I knew that they'd end up with someone that has the actual means to keep them on the road...

12. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Carbon McCoy?

Ummm, maybe not. ;)

-F

13. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I completely know where you're coming from. I don't miss my car at all, and it's now been nearly 4 years since I sold it (may 2008).

Times change.

14. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Yes. I think this considered trolling of some sort. Now where is that picture of Joaquin Phoenix telling us to ban him?

15. PRS

PRS Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2011
    Issaquah
    Full Name:
    Pete S
    I've seen this before. A guy I did work for had an incredible gun collection. I'm talking his house could have been a gun museum. He let me hold some rifles that were worth more than everything I own. One day I went to his house and his "gun room" was almost empty. I asked what happened and he said that he sold them. He was tired of holding on to them and wanted to do other things. Sorry to see the cars go, but I can say that I understand where you're at.

16. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I am a mod and I don't see a problem with judge4re's post. Infidel was slightly out of line but judge didn't complain.

Any harassment will be dealt with appropriately.

Judge for what it's worth I sold my first Ferrari in hopes of buying a 550. After a year of searching I got another 328. But, I get what you're saying. Good luck with the sale and please post these in Ferrariads.

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ROTFLMAO!!

It's a higher state of "Zen" our man has reached...only last night someone pointed out selling the contents of my living room would buy an around the world vacation.....

And straighten the place up, a little...

18. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Shweeooo. Well at least you're keepin one.

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
  20. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
  21. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Thanks, I appreciate that. I will likely hang around.

22. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Erik, I can relate. My passion isn't gone, it's just far more sedate. The only reason that I don't sell my car, is that I would get a pittance for it in today's market.

23. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    I can understand your sentiment. There are times when my car passion wanes.

One persistent trend for me in the last decade is that sports cars are much less interesting. For instance, supercars are not something I'd want to own anymore. I'm more about functionality and use these days. In the streets, I can't or have no desire really to use modern sports cars to its fullest. And I don't think they belong at a race track either. Therefore, they are in no man's land: to fast to fully enjoy in the streets yet too compromised to be proper race cars.

Also, I'm not sure I'd want to restore a car or have a cosmetically perfect car. I prefer a nice driver versus a restored/show car. As I have learned, the car ends up not being used. Although I appreciate seeing nice cars at shows, I'm not a car show participant/exhibitor guy. I'd rather drive them.

Older, classic street cars are also ones that I have less interest in owning. Rust never sleeps and I'd rather not worry about such things.

What's left in the car hobby for me? Racing... Having been involved in professional motorsports, I don't follow it as much - especially open wheel racing (I was never into stock car oval racing). One thing I don't miss from this business was the politics.

I enjoy grassroots racing; I also still enjoy vintage/historic racing, though I'm very selective on what I attend. I've not gone to Monterey Historics in a few years, but I raced at Rennsport Reunion last October. The Historics seemed to have lost its luster a bit for me. I wouldn't mind experiencing Goodwood and Le Man Classic this year.

Anyway, I'm with you; I'm thinking of selling my 24K mile 328 even though I've just done its timing belt, etc. I've only put in an average around 80 miles per month. I sold my daily driver 911 a few months ago and now drive an old four door AMG, as I enjoy driving more with family and friends. My future street drivers may likely be more GT-type cars - still fast but more comfortable for me and passengers. For the driving thrills, I will focus more narrowly on historic race cars.

24. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I won't jump on the bandwagon and tell you not to sell the cars. I've slowed my car hobby VERY significantly in the last year or two. I used to go to every weekend car show where any car of interest would be. Last year I think I may have been to one or two shows all year. I have been slowly working on my 308 and people don't understand why it's taking me so long. Part of it is due to the lack of interest and part of it is due to other factors totally unrelated happening in my life that put it on the back burner. Either way, I'll get it back on the road one of these days but lately more and more I am experiencing the same sort of feelings as you.

I keep thinking I should just get the 308 back in good running order and sell it off. Then I think about buying a 348 or 355 or 456 or maybe even 550!! We'll see what happens.

Best luck with the sales and whatever hobbies you pursue in the future. I too hope you hang around here even if you have no cars!!

John

25. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I feel the same way....but I'm keeping the cars. My 308 is worth less than 1/2 of what I paid for it. The 250 is worth well over 7 times what I paid for it. I guess I'll start driving the crap out of the 308, and store the 250.