What is the cheapest way to play? | FerrariChat

What is the cheapest way to play?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Texas Forever, Dec 17, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Forget about being on the podium.

Let's talk about having fun. Yeah, I know, we're talking about racing. But, soup to nuts, which route is the cheapest way to having fun?

Here's a point of reference. Years ago, I talked to Old Guy about historic racing. Bottom line, was $400,000 to $500,000 for a real F308 Michelotto. There are only about a half a dozen in the world. But for the price of admission...

So? What say ye? A F355CH, a F360CH, or a F430CH. I'm talking running costs. I'm talking competitive. I'm talking about hanging with the great Rob Lay. Yeah, I'm talking trash, baby.

Dale

2. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    The entry point can be very low.

A 355C, 55-65k.

Only 4 weekends (8 races) count for the weekends. The venues will be grouped two in the northeast, three in the south. So you can coordinate to move far only once. I think with a 355, with strategic transport and race choice you can do an arrive and drive program and spend less than 10k per race weekend. So you could almost do it for 100 k with the car.

3. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The problem is Rob Lay will kick my ass.

Dale

4. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Hmmm. You said forget about podiums! John has it right though. A 355Ch with a recent belt replacement; or a straight car that needs a belt replacement will average absent incident or accident between $7500 and $10K a weekend as follows

Tires at 1.5 sets - $2
    Gas - $0.5
    Track Service -$2
    Tow - $3
    Event fees - $1
    Accommodation and transport - $1

If you tow yourself, stay in your camper or tent, run 91 octane, buy and heat cycle your own tires and keep tire change equipment in your trailer you could drop that by half. But that makes the event like a regional NASA or SCCA event. Hardly the spirit of the event but hey Rob is a Champion who did just that.

5. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    i'm talking vintage racing here [but i'm sure ferraris apply]...say you have an old gp bugatti...say you have $1,000,000 invested in it...the first lap will cost 1 mil....however the second lap will only be .5 mil...the third .25 and so on....pretty soon it's almost free! then, if you don't bugger it up you can easily regain your investment + cash depending on the market....aren't cars fun!!!! :)

6. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I don't think Rob plans to run a full season, though defending 355 Champion Onofrio Triarsi is. Come on out and test your mettle against the others. It should be a very fun and competitive class.

7. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Ah a different story altogether! Back in the day I shared a Bug 35 with a family member so we were supposed to be joined by more than cars - right? Did not turn out that way because we raced it in Vintage events in the UK. The problem is that to enjoy this sport at any level you have to some amount of FU money! Then it's just a question of choosing your poison to afford that level of FU currency. Total elimination is unlikely. But value reduction is possible in most series. So just find a level that suits your credit card portfolio. The 355 is about as low as you can go, race repeatedly at different tracks, and get all the wonderment that produces.

I guess oval dirt and Formula Vee is the absolute bottom of the cost league.

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Having skills of a DIY'er makes a huge difference. When I raced my 348 raccar part of its amazing never fail on the track mystic was because of my sweet equity. I did an engine out timing belt with "while you are in theres" on a yearly bassis. A timing belt cost me 100 bucks labor was free. That minimum expense would have been $2-4K from a dealer. If I blow up an alternator I rebuilt it for 100 bucks. A dealer would have cost a grand. Everyone would tell you to buy a 355C but IMO the 360C is a better car and cheaper to run. Hang out on the 355 boards and learn the 100% nature of 355 failures with valve guides and headers. 360C is so much more turnkey and more costly but will not bleed you like a 355C when you need engine work. Everyone will also tell you to buy a 355C or 360C as an entry challenge car but being a DIY'ER if you buy a streetcar and convert it you can sell off all the parts that don't make the car go fast thus reducing your get in fee. You can also buy a 360 3 pedal car and avoid the biggest potential expense after the motor which is an F1 failure. I can replace a clutch in a 3 pedal car twice at least for 50 bucks! There is no way you can do that with an F1 car. When I converted my 348 streetcar I sold parts off it for crazy money. People wanted my rear view mirror $250 bucks, foglights $700, sideview mirrors $700 it is just crazy. Another reason to DIY is because the OEM Ferrari cages are bolt-in and not that great and 90% of the cars not being actively campaigned have expired fire systems, expired harnesses, and expired seats. Those 3 items are conservatively 2 grand right there. A good reason to consider 355C is that the steel unibody you can weld the cage to. However, you can design and build a proper bolt-in cage just as safe as the welded cage but Ferrari did not spend the money to develop that. Ferrari totally cheaped out on cages. Oh price a fender too that will shock you. A junk yard vette or miata fender will cost you less than 100 bucks.

9. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    I like your rates. You are hired :)

What series is this? Link?

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Nah, I'll sit this one out. But I'll certainly come to cheer you guys on, if you will let me. I'm kinda burned out on Ferraris at this point. But, damn, I'd love to hear and watch you guys on the track. It doesn't get much better than that.

I remember one year at the Montreal F1. The Challenge guys were more fun to watch than the big show, particularly due to one Dr. Steve Earle.

But, for now, I think that I'll stick with Scuderia Po Boy. :)

Dale

11. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
    If you want cheap racing , check out chumpcar , ALOT of seat time real cheap. many rental arrive & drive cars are roughly $900 and will get you a couple sessions of hour & half to two hours. NOT sexy or overly cool cars , but damn cheap wheel to wheel at a huge assortment of tracks in the US ,Mexico and a few in Canada too.

12. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #12 FarmerDave, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dale. The first taste is free. Come to TWS on February 11th and drive the Lemons car for a stint.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Bring checkbook....very large checkbook!!!! :D

14. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
    Do it !!! I'm guessing hour and half or 2 hours , with what the fuel burn should be in that car . Cars may be somewhat ugly , but the racing is a hoot !

15. Dr JonboyG

Dr JonboyG Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gitlin
    Chumpcar really is excellent fun.

16. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Great advise from someone who has been there. Normally i would suggest buying an allready prepared car. My Fil just bought an over the top e36 M3 race car for 17k that easily cost 40ish to build.

However Ferraris are the exception where you can sell the parts for an incredible sum and build the car the way you want it.