Valeo Registry | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Valeo Registry

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by hank sound, Dec 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi Hank. These are the exact words in the seller's email:
    "Its not a valeo. Its a standard stick shift.
    You may want to rethink a valeo. Its junk and very expensive to repair and or replace the trans not if but when it goes. At best its a sloppy technology. I have owned several valeos and have had many clients with valeos and not one drives the same but the commmon thread with all owners is the cost of repairs. Just some friendly advice for you."

2. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #52 hank sound, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
    Well Rob, first off - I don't buy what he is saying (BTW, Valeo is a system - not a transmission). But, there is a truth in that "the cost of repairs" will be in perfect harmony with the glaring lack of knowledge of the tech (or the owner's establishment) attempting to do the repair.

"All Owners" ???? I've been an owner for over seven years !! I've had one $16.00 relay go bad. But yes, there is this one very unfortunate fact. In the world of big money and exotic cars, "replacement replaces the function (knowledge) of "fixing" - and as regards the Valeo system, understanding how electronics and computers function, would save untold tears. Unfortunately, that is all too often, not the case. The Valeo System is a rarity, the White Lion, if you will. To deal with it, one must understand so much more than what is required for solving "shifting problems" in a Mondial t or a 348.

I know folks that have taken their VW to the wrong "tech", and have cursed that day..... It's way more critical when it involves a Ferrari - especially, a rare model :) "It's fun being the King" :):)

Remember this: For two years straight, Lancia enjoyed wearing the crown of the world's off road rally championships, driving cars with the very first Valeo systems employed. They had no (ZERO) break downs - - but they did have a good bit of the bubbly !!!

I just finished driving Rachel all over the San Fernando Valley - I'm now going to have some bubbly too:)

Sorry for the long rant - but,,,,,,,,,, Cheers, Hank :):):)

3. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #53 hank sound, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
    Hi Wade,

Yes - and it sits on my library shelf, knowing full well that it will get pulled from that shelf, three to four times more that 90% of my other Ferrari books. In modern day "speak", it's the "Google" of Ferrari Vin #s & Vital Info !!!

And here's something worth checking out: http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/22543/index.html

Cheers, Hank

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #54 Wade, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Still for sale ... or again. Nicely presented too :)

http://www.hollywoodcarcollection.com/vehicle-details//7f14745f9fcf42e0b098ad79437b469c/1992+ferrari+mondial+2-door+convertible.html

ZFFRK33A9N0092354 - 9K miles, Internet Price: $42,950
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    '92: one of the very first.

6. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Right - Rachel is a 92, and is Vin numbered 93123 - - so the black one (92354) must be one of the very first few. Now this I find surprising, it's not listed in "the book" as being a Valeo car. That one slipped by the Rabb Files (978 pages) !!!

Cheers, Hank

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #57 Wade, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
    Well, the ad does say this:

So, is that the first Mondial with an "F 1 transmission" or the first car to use this type of transmission?

BTW, at first I was a little confused by the VIN and wondered if there's a typo. The VIN for their other black Mondial t Cab (1989) ends with the same 4 digits (2354). However, my earlier post from January of last year shows the same Valeo car (VIN and location).

1989 - ZFFFC33A9K0082354
    1992 - ZFFRK33A9N0092354

8. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Wade, your January 2011 post was in regards to Vin #93501 which was David C's Valeo car, with close to 45k on the clock - - different car. #82354 is the 89.......... #92354 is the low mileage Valeo car.

Cheers, Hank

9. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  10. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    OK - What are we talking about here? I need a glass of good Cab! Grab one and join me :):)

Cheers, Hank

11. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #61 Wade, Feb 11, 2012
    Sold at Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale 2011 for $29,700.00

ZFFRK33A8P0093501

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=928.2&aid=403

It was also listed as "Salvage" due to Mechanical damage in 2010.

http://www.salvage-cars-for-sale.info/salvage/for-sale-ferrari-all-models-1993-MjAzNjA0NDA

http://www.salvageautosauction.com/vehicle_detail/Salvage-1993-Ferrari-MONDIAL+T-for-Sale/lot-20360440/Van-nuys-California

12. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Bump - for the sake of enlightenment :)

Cheers, Hank

13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  14. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    30K seems low to me for a valeo am I wrong in thinking that?

15. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    All depends on service history. $30k for a car that needs service is about right, say that after you have to spend ($7k - $13k) to get it sorted. If you notice, the description does not say when the last major was done, just it has service history. That could have been 20k miles ago or 10 years ago. Just a thought.

16. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Yes I did notice there was no mention of a recent major and I would imagine if there was it would be in the ad. Does a valeo get a premium over the T model?

17. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Let me just add this to the pot - - there is so much more than just "the major", that must be considered when attempting to determine the "true value" of one of these cars. There can be so many hidden thousands of dollars that one car needs spent to make a really great car, while another doesn't have that requirement - - all while both may due for "THE MAJOR".

Cheers, Hank

18. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi Hank. What would be on the top ten checklist for a Valeo car not including a major?

Rob

19. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi Rob,

#1 Clean the contacts of the relay next to the Valeo ECU (in the back).

#2 Fix the stuff that goes bad - just like on any other Ferrari (02 sensors, ECUs, brakes, shocks, window motors etc). What I'm getting at is: there really isn't much difference as regards maintenance. The difference lies in the driving experience (Best Of Both Worlds) !!

Cheers, Hank

20. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Greetings,
    I'm the new owner of a red convertible.
    Does anyone know how many Valeo's were imported into the States and what the original MSRP was?
    Thanks!
    Greg

21. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Congrats Greg,

I was told by a chap who was a Ferrari dealership salesman back in the day, that only seven Valeo equipped Cabs with sticker prices of about $112,000, made it to our shores.

Now, grab your camera and take some pics for this thread. Also, please list your VIN # for our archives - and do drive her in the best of health.

Oh .......... scoop up a June issue of FORZA magazine - - - there's a nice article on a sweet Valeo Cab. :):):)

Cheers, Hank

22. Rooster_In_Ohio

Rooster_In_Ohio Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2011
    Cleveland
    Full Name:
    David
    Hi all, I've been relatively quiet since purchasing my 1993 T valeo some 18 months ago as I sought to get her sorted. Very happy to say that I just returned from a 250 trip to Kelly's Island, Ohio with no issues (other than a ongoing suspension fault that I need to get cleared someday). Rolled over 9,000 during the trip. Special thanks to Earl Gibbs and North Coast Exotics for sorting out my slowdown issues - this was the first time I was able to pull sustained high rpms (ever) and I must say I fell in love all over again. Also the first time I had four adults in the car (yes, it works, but only for short trips). Valeo oppersted flawlessly.

Regards,

db

23. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #73 hank sound, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
    Hi db,

"high rpms (ever)" ????? You've had your Valeo t for 18 months, and you've just now been able to experience the true performance of a 3.4 Ferrari engine coupled with a two pedal shift system that simply defies description??? My God, mon - well, you may have missed the appetizer, but now finally, you're seated at the table for the main course and a truly ongoing desert !!! (maybe some dancing girls as well) :):):)

Have fun with your Valeo - - it's bulletproof -- Mind you, I'm speaking of the "Valeo system", that electronic system that takes the place of your leg and the clutch pedal. Let's call it the first half of of the Formula 1 System. It was melded with the standard shift gate operation of normal "standard shift" gear changes.

As for the factory single disc clutch, the standard transmission and its synchros, it's all factory standard. Bottom line: if you must "blip" and downshift every time you approach a stop sign - like a street racer that was suppressed, repressed and depressed as a child, suffice to say, you will pay the price - while the Valeo system will simply sit back, watch & laugh.

David, you and I and a limited few others, have these truly amazing treasures - these Valeo cars. And they are capable of bringing a uniquely "knowing" smile to one's face while driving one . What fun !

Cheers, Hank

24. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #74 Wade, Aug 15, 2012
  25. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #75 Burch1, Aug 15, 2012
    Truly makes the driving experience richer, especially around town where you are shifting quite a bit. Not using your left leg all the time is nice and I have to admit that the Valeo shift much better than I ever could!
    Glad to hear another good "Valeo" story!
    Cheers,
    Greg