McLaren MP4-12C | FerrariChat

McLaren MP4-12C

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 360stimo, Feb 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Not looking good for the MP4-12C. I've had several e-mails in the past 2 weeks from dealers advertising that they have new unsold cancelled orders in stock.

2. fez1238

fez1238 Karting

Sep 5, 2007
    The TV programme showing the production facility and the car although impressive it did strike me that the car was boring to look at and not as pretty although similar to a 360.

In my opinion too much emphasis on management, planning, focus groups, consultants and that sort of thing and not passion and true interest in building a supercar for people like me.

From what I can remember from the programme the designer didnt come across very well his inspiration was a box of shells, toys and rubbish etc.

Andrew

3. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    When I see the Macca I have to say i get that "its just a car" sort of feeling whereas a Ferrari/Lambo etc just has 'something' about it! Its intangible. Maybe its character,passion?

4. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Are you Tom Hartley Jnr? The exact same words appeared in one of his tweets this morning

5. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    #5 SPEEDCORE, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Ha ha, never been on twitter in my life !!! Also they are not the same exact words, just incredibly similar.

7. 360

360 Karting

Feb 27, 2004
    Orpington Kent
    Full Name:
    Chris M
    clearly you lot either have poor eye sight or no red blood in your veins, take it from me an owner that this car is spectacular, the only time a ferrari driver will see the front of this car is if it is coming towards you, other than that it wil be the back end getting ever smaller.
    With regard cancelled orders thats probably more down to speculators who put down deposits hopping to nick a premium, but with the credit crunch and all the anti bonus going on premiums are a thing of the past.

8. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Incredibly different view from a friend of mine who owns both cars in questions.

9. andy c

andy c Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2011
    Agree with you there 360,Robbie over here also has both cars and also agrees that the 12c will leave any Italian ,not the Aventador admittedly but thats in a different price bracket,and i suppose the 12c would leave that on anything other than a very wide road!!

10. Giggle

Giggle Rookie

Apr 25, 2009
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Roger
    #10 Giggle, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I drive a 430 Scuderia and recently had an afternoon with Mclaren sales and an MP4 12C.
    (This in itself is a nightmare as they just wont shut up about how good it is to the tune of 2 hours prior to a test drive. I nearly got up and left.)

I recently sold a 997 Turbo PDK and immediately I was reminded of it when driving the MP4.
    At no time during the test drive did it do anything Ferrari like at all.

The salesman was amazed when i said after 1/2 mile that i didn't like it and even more amazed when at the end of the test drive i gave him a list of "problems" with the car.

I must hand it to him though, he did let me drive it as if were my own car and I did.
    Incredibly fast and I know this because it said so on the speedo otherwise i wouldn't have known.

There is no sound in the cabin and when you open the window still no exhaust sound.
    The flappy paddles are the worst ive used.
    First of all they move with the wheel which Ferrari discovered years ago is the wrong way to do it on a road car. Then there's the actual amount of pressure needed to "click" the paddle into the next gear. Terrible set up.

The 3.8 felt small with a huge turbo charger, absolutely no match for a naturally aspirated Ferrari V8.

Then there's
    the looks. Well the absolute lack of them.
    BORING to the eye.

Jump in and you're in Lotus Elise land and again... BORING.

I fully expect to see the 15k mile 99K GBP MP4 12c in 2013/14
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. roalda

roalda Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2007
    Wiltshire England
    Full Name:
    Roy
    You ordered one then?

12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

Sadly the front looks like an Evora

13. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell

Interesting write up, I wonder if any of the Mclaren sales guys have driven a 458?

14. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Very similar to my experience with an MP4-12C a couple of weeks ago. My salesman also would not shut up about how good it was, but I did not mind too much. It was enjoyable to learn about the car, and all his claims were indeed true--no overselling, no hype like with most car salesmen.

My test drive was in a car with the sports exhaust, and it was fine, noise-wise. In fact, the whole car was just that, fine. The paddle shifters were great, I thought, with seamless shifting that was just about perfect. The acceleration was great, there was no discernible turbo lag, and the handling was divine. To me, it felt like a powerful Exige.

There was no flair in the styling. There was no uniqueness about the car, except little technological touches in the cabin. It is a boring car. For the amount of money they are asking, nobody wants boring. The gull-wing doors open in a beautiful manner--that is certainly fancy and distinctive. That's about it, though. The car is a very capable computer, and it takes away from the driving experience.

It needs branding and a personality. It's the Lexus of supercars. More distinctive styling, more unique touches, and a more involving driving experience.

I disagree about the paddle shifters rotating with the steering wheel being a bad thing. For wheels that have a lot of turns lock to lock, yes, you would lose track of where the paddles where. The MC12-4C allows you to keep your hands on the wheel lock to lock, except when parking. For this car, the paddles rotating with the wheel are a very good thing. You can shift at any time without lifting your hands from the driving position on the wheel. Awesome.

15. cuthbert

cuthbert Karting

Jun 13, 2005
    Clueless comments

16. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Care to explain why?

17. Giggle

Giggle Rookie

Apr 25, 2009
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Roger
    #17 Giggle, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
    m

18. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I'm not a fan of the MP4-12C either, in fact the very name of it makes me bored, but I watched this video with Chris Harris last week, now I can at least respect the cars capabilities and Mclaren's Technical know how for making it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mKB-8WUB5k&feature=g-u&context=G23000c7FUAAAAAAAOAA[/ame]

P.S. Looks nice in White.

19. LSM

LSM Rookie

Jul 19, 2011
    I wanted to jump in here and throw a curveball into the mix.

Having not driven this car I can only comment from a different point of view, there is no "WOW" factor about this car........if you're as old as me you will remember the launch of the fabulous "McLaren F1".........when you first saw that car it took your breath away and to this day it still can!! It was a revolution and it really put McLaren on the map of Supercar World.

The follow up from McLaren the "MP4-12c" (The name sounds like a computer file and doesn't roll off the tongue like 'F1') looks like a jelly mould, there is no WOW factor as it were like the F1, as it has taken them so long to bring out the follow up to the legendary F1.....are other people like myself disappointed with the end result???

Personally I feel that McLaren have taken a step back from the F1 rather than a giant leap forward like they have done in the past.

The look of the car depends on each persons taste, its not a bad looking car however personally I feel it is not a great looking car, I really wish they had made something as great as the F1 and made their mark on Supercar World yet again!

20. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Agree 100% well said :)

21. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Well, it is a giant leap forward compared to the SLR.
    Ed

22. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    +1
    I sometimes see them being road tested on the A3 in the Guildford area and when approaching from behind you have to get pretty close to be sure it is a Mclaren rather than an Audi A8 or something else. It really isnt that special looks-wise especially from the rear.

23. LSM

LSM Rookie

Jul 19, 2011
    Unfortunately the SLR was not built by McLaren however by Merecedes, this is like Binatone with Vauxhall all those years ago.

The MP4-12c is just a McLaren car like the F1......or should I say nothing like the F1.

I am sure it performs well but in comparison to the F1........it's a disappointment

24. cuthbert

cuthbert Karting

Jun 13, 2005
    Nonesense the F1 still sells for $5,000,000 the MP4 12 C $300,000 that is like comparing a 430 with an Enzo, or the 458 with the Enzo replacement.

Knock all you like but I have owned 458,430,360,355 and now the 12c And guess what they are or were all good but the best drivers car is imop undoubtedly the 12c. It is more of a sports car than the wonderful 458. Both are great and I wish I could afford both at the same time. Bet you havent driven one!!!!!!!

25. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Slr was designed and concieved by mclaren. Doesnt matter who actually built it.
    Ed