I miss my Mondial :( | FerrariChat

I miss my Mondial :(

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by JoeZaff, Feb 1, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #1 JoeZaff, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was sitting with my daughter today discussing the testarossa and she just came out and said..."I liked your other one better, it had four seats and no top."

I was crushed, but she had a good point. The Mondial is one of those real hidden gems. The first time I drove one, I felt like I had discovered a secret.

They are fantastic in every way. I miss mine terribly from time to time. I am still happy I bought the Testarossa, I just hope someday I have the intestinal fortitude to own two ferraris at the same time...when that day comes, I look forward to bringing a Mondial back home.

Viva Mondial!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I knew you would.

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #3 GrigioGuy, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I have two mondials - you can buy one from me ;)

Erik

5. F1wannabe

F1wannabe Karting

Sep 27, 2011
    You're still a great ambassador for the Mondial, even without one in the garage! BTW, I have 5 kids and they love to cruise in our 89 Mondial--we just can't do it all at once (need more seats).

6. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    But then what would I do with these 65 degree January days? My kid isn't big enough to be dropped off at school on the Ducati. :)

7. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    #7 jgoodman, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
    +1! Joe, you are certainly one of the reasons I love my Mondial so much. Those random chats and text messages we've had about our Mondials' abilities, charm and quirks over the years made us giggle and put smiles on both of us like little girls talking about their first boyfriends, who are totally smitten and in love.

Now listen buddy, the fix is easy. Just sell the little German guy in your stable and get back to where you belong. Forget the easy start, easy drive, easy creature comforts you're getting used to having on a daily basis. You can make a Mondial your daily driver, and we both know it (except when you have to drive into center city of course!) That way, you can shine the red head in the garage all you want and not have to worry about your next Mondial being mint. PV Dirk has shown everyone the good life one can have with a Mondial and hopefully I did too from my week at Cavallino. Shipping my car to Florida for just one week I originally thought was totally insane. There definitely is a fine line between genious and insanity, and that experience was over-the-top awesome. I'm sorry if those pics are giving you heartburn, which I suspect they are.

By the way, you are welcome to drive mine any time you want, just have to come here to central PA. Please bring the redhead to my buddy Tom Clark's 2nd annual "Cool Cars for Cats and Canines" on April 28, 2012, at the AACA Museum in Hershey, PA. Of course you're going to have to bring two cars to get the whole family there, unless you heed my sound advice between now and April!

PS, Your daughter, by the way is genious, and we both know it.

8. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +1 Kids speak the truth don't they!!! We have 3 cars at the moment and every time we ask which car do you guys want to ride in, its been hands down topless Ferrari !

9. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    I bought a 348 Spider to replace my 86 3.2 Cabrio more than 2 years ago. I don't miss my Mondial at all........

I still have her.........

10. suicidedoors1964

suicidedoors1964 Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    Now those are Rosso colored glasses.

11. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I go back n forth on selling my Mondial to get the 360/430 or keep it and just get the 360 in addition but that kinda of thinking is what caused my warehouse to become stuffed and the need to build up with 4 posts lifts.

A Ferrari can't sit around waiting for you, imo, its one or the other.

12. F1wannabe

F1wannabe Karting

Sep 27, 2011
    Mine sits up on a 4 post lift to keep the kids from crashing their razor scooters and bikes into it. Also, one additional benefit of keeping my cab on a lift is that I have another parking spot underneath for one more car!

13. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    i love my mondial, but have toyed with getting a lambo islero, i kind of like unusual vehicles. don,t have space and time for more than one prize. i daily drive my mondial, any thoughts on same with an islero?

14. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Hey Ted,
    You should drive that Mondial some more before you decide. But, I know what you mean. We are not collectors but between a Ferrari, a classic Fiat, a Malagutti scooter, and a Kawasaki motorcycle it's difficult to find the time to drive the vehicles as much as they deserve. The Kawasaki won't even start at the moment due to neglect....anyone wanna buy a Kawasaki 500???

Dave

15. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    PM me Dave on the 500. I'm just crazy enough.

Oh I plan to drive my Mondial starting in April and through October and probably put on another 8k and just shy of 30k before I decide what to do next, it would be damn silly to have 60k in a car and turn around and sell for 35 without enjoying it for awhile. If I cross over into 30k miles I just may keep her and get the 360 too

16. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Two totally different animals. I wouldn't suggest selling one to buy the other. If you're no longer going to use the Mondial, that's another story.

Erik

17. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Hi Joe,

I like the idea of having another Ferrari but I don't want to get of the Mondial. One day maybe a BBI but Mondial will stay.

Anyway I feel for you but your TR is sweet.

Lino

18. Earthboundmisfit

Earthboundmisfit Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I miss my Mondial too and it's just put away in storage. I've toyed with the idea of rustproofing it and driving it daily. I'm ready for a new daily driver. But I just can't bring myself to drive it on salty roads so I'll just have to wait until April. It's only a couple months away.

19. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Shhhhh....... we don't want your daughter to know about this post .......... Mumble, mumble - - Why not just go out and get another Mondial, but this time, with another "end" goal in mind. Unknown to her, your daughter, would be the fact that you would be buying it - FOR HER !!!! Can you imagine what her emotional state would be when, on the eve of a special birthday or graduation celebration, you handed her the keys to "her family's Mondi"?? For this occasion, I would suggest a "t", with PS, PB and a sound 'to die for".

Joe, I propose this course of direction on your part because, in your recent posts, I sensed an overwhelming feeling of emotional loss. Thank the Gods, we're talking about a car here, not the health of family members or dearest friends. But, those critical issues aside, we are talking about your feelings regarding "something" very close to your heart. You know what I'm saying here............

Do it - - It will make you happy - - it will make your daughter happy. And if she's not interested, by that time, prices will have gone up again (better than most stocks) ..... It's like "a no brainer" - and you'll keep on smiling :):)

Cheers mate,

Hank

20. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Reminds me of what my three year old son said when I brought the first one home - "is this for me?" - I said, "sure". Then he said, "Daddy you can drive it until I'm big enough to reach the pedals". Apprently they are his, I'm just borrowing them.

Erik

21. Jayo5

Jayo5 Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    P C Johnson
    Joe, I'm several months behind you on the decision to "add to" or simply replace the Mondial. Major service is due and lately I've been think about logic of maintaining two. The only reason the Mondial t didn't go at the start of the recession was my daughter's near emotional "meltdown" when she caught wind of the discussion that I posted the car for sale. Its no secret around the house that I am now hunting for a 575M but I was reminded this morning my daughter that the Mondial is hers and not mine to trade or sell. Thanks, I'll heed the warning.

22. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Now that's a properly raised child...

23. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    I miss mine sometimes but I lose the feeling when I stomp on the pedal of my 360 spider. Actually my kids miss it becasue I can't take the whole family out only one passenger now. It was a great car but a poor buy on my part I let my emotions rule my decision. I learned a great lesson on my first car if you get a good deal you will be putting the money into it at some point to make up for the deferred maintenance previous owners neglected. Even though I sunk about 50k into a car that I ended up selling for 30k I enjoyed it.

I read the horor stories some other people post and I feel for you brother I truely do been there done that.

24. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I've got the Mondial and the 430 (soon to be a 458). When I was ready to buy my first Ferrari back in the 90s, I wanted a Mondial cab. Went into Ferrari of SF, and my wife and Brad Goldstone talked me out of the Mondial, I ended up with a 348TS. It took a while, but I ended up with the T, and I suspect that it will be the Ferrari that remains when I'm done with the new ones. I have done a couple of things to make the performance a little better, so it isn't exactly stock, but it certainly isn't as fast as the 430, but then again, I'm not as fast as I was 30 years ago either.

Art

25. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    +1
    For some reason good Mondials seem to be 'keepers', regardless of what other tipos are in the garage. One very good friend has a 250 Lusso, 360 and 458 amongst others, but still enjoys his Mondial T on a regular basis. Forza Mondial !