Running costs ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Running costs ?

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by YellowF50, Jul 26, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    a splitter is something damaged very easily on a low car :eek:

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Not worth it, no matter how much money in the world.

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #28 Napolis, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
    P 4/5 costs a lot less to maintain.

About 10K miles.

one set of Tires (about $400 each)

one clutch about 2.5K (A lot of hard track use)

brake pads

a few oil changes

Battery replaced.

That's about it.

Total probably less than one Veyron wheel.

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Truely amazing, thanks for sharing Manny. Always good to hear from an actual owner. :)

I saw the way the wing operates on the Veyron documentary, on the Discovery Chanel. From memory, they used Fibre Optics to run that system. It's certainly very high-tech.

$1600 for the part and $5400 labour? Aye! :(

$17K for the major service every 2 years. Can you tell us what they do during that service Manny? Or have you not reached that milestone yet?

$17K is a lot of money to change some filters and do checks. I can understand it's mostly labour, but what do they charge per hour...............$500+?? :eek:

Ship the car to me for it's 2 yearly service and the labour charge will be free Manny. :eek:

5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    That's more like it. :D

6. mannyk

mannyk Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2004
    Newport beach
    Full Name:
    Manny
    Sorry for late reply don't get on the site much. Yes it's costly but not sure about details. I am having it done in next 30 days so will see

7. YellowF50

YellowF50 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    K B
    Just been going through this thread again.

It's amazing how reading some of the posts regarding the rear wing lasers run by fibre optics etc etc. but you can see where the costs for this car went ( and how they plan to recoup some off the investment made in r&d ). Love to hear about the gravel trap run off costing as much as a 3-4 yr old Ferrari v8. Wow.

But very nice of jim to contribute with his figures, but his costs really do put into perspective how over the top the running costs of the veyron are.

8. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Any updates?

9. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Current annual service cost in US is around $18500. $6600 of it is labor. They replace the typical oil/filter stuff plus "gearbox oil pump" and every screw/nut/bolt is crazy expensive. 7 line items for filter but I don't know exactly what each one is. What filter could cost $700?

Tire replacement is done in Socal and runs about $32k plus uncle sam for all 4.

Expensive for sure!

10. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    $8,000 - $1,600 = $6,400.

11. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    o/t

XJ 220, is also expensive to service.

12. Gerald

Gerald Rookie

Nov 23, 2003
    Anaheim, Ca
    Full Name:
    Gerald B.
    Just had my 2006 in for the annual service. Quoted price was $17,000. I do not drive the car a lot--think have about 2500 miles on it--so only do the service every 3-4 years. Had a severely damaged tire which cost about $11,000 to replace. A new set of tires was as high as $50K but I have been told the price is DOWN to $32K. At least it is going in the right direction. Also, tires and wheels can now be handled in Westlake rather than sending them to France for handling.
    While the price and maintenance is crazy, in my opinion it is the most incredible car ever. Not only is incredibly fast, stop ridiculously fast, but it is truly a work of art. Every time I drive the car I discover some feature that had never noticed before.

13. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    You Bugatti Veyron owners are DEFINITELY part of the 1%! Maybe the .001%....
    Makes my CGT seem cheap to keep

14. PCA Hack

PCA Hack Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    Rancho Santa Fe, CA
    Nearly every piece of the car is a one-off so if an owner thinks its worth it, then its worth it & God bless 'em for it.

I agree that a $17K service on a car w/ 2500 miles and no issues...$7 service cost per mile + insurance + fuel + etc...ouch.

Best preventative maintenance money spent on a Veyron = a $35 gallon of Slime tire sealant :)

15. stradleboy

stradleboy Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Bennett
    may I remind everyone of the Carrera GT original $23k engine out service. seems like a bargain in comparison to the price of the car.

16. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    Forgive my ignorance.....I'm guessing that most Veyron owners don't routinely drive their cars 253 mph. For what the wheels/tires cost. I would think it would be cheaper to have a custom, 1 off wheel milled/machined for the Veyron. Thus enabling the owner to have normal (ish) tires as well.

So if an owner wanted to go for a spirited 120mph drive, he could. Or if all he wanted was to go for a little cruise he wouldn't be worried about "wearing out" the OEM wheels/tires/

When he decided to push the limits of the car, he could throw the OEM wheels and tires back on.

Come to think of it I'm just missing the point entirely.........If an owner has to worry about saving a few bucks. He shouldn't have purchased the Veyron in the first place.

17. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I imagine the insurance company would request certification for those wheels ?

If an accident happens due to wheel failure, the Ins co., will be happy to dig into the service papers.

Billy Bob's Metal Shop, may not be able to produce the exact same wheel.

18. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Having aftermarket parts on your car and accidents resulting in those aftermarket parts failing does not void or prevent your insurance from paying.

That's exactly what I would do if I had a Veyron, have a custom set of wheels and tires made that I used 90% of the time for a fraction of the cost.

19. YellowF50

YellowF50 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    K B
    Just seen this car advertised at HR Owen. 2010 Bugatti Grand Sport with 45000 miles / 70000 kms.

Surely must of been a press car or something ( if it was private owner, good on him for using it) , and must be one of the highest mileages recorded on a veyron.

Would be interesting to go through history file to see if anything has needed to be replaced and how much has been spent over the past 3/4 years.

http://www.hrowen.co.uk/used-stock/2336/

20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #45 Bas, May 6, 2014
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
    Depends on the country you're in. In the UK for example, you have to state each modification to your car to insurance.

A friend of mine got hit in an accident a number of years back by another driver. Insurance went over his car with a fine comb and decided that he wouldn't get a pay out because he failed to declare couple of modifications.

I think in a long court battle they paid a fraction of the agreed value, so he still lost out massively.

Agreed on the wheels/tires though. ADV1 can make normal tires work, as explained below. Quite interesting.

http://www.luxury4play.com/automotive/121226-public-apology-adv-1-wheels-all-veyron-owners-2.html

Note that the tires are rated to 186mph. IIRC these rated tires are also fitted to LaF's, P1's, 918s etc, it's just that the manufacturer guarantees them to 186mph simply to prevent costly lawsuits...I imagine getting a tire rated for 186mph is hell of a lot cheaper than 250mph. Especially when you probably have less than 100 sets sold a year, lol.

21. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Just for a little comparison I operate a Cessna CJ
    Cost per mile is about $2.70. Not including fixed cost such as insurance and hanger, but that does include reserves for all of the parts needed but not labor and it includes reserves for engine maintenance and overhaul.

Annual maintenance for a P-51 Mustang for me is usually less then $5,000 per year.

Tires are $395.00 (haven't had to but any lately) each and although they don't have to go 253mph they do touchdown at 110 mph from a dead stop.

I think the Veyron is an incredible vehicle but I have trouble seeing the costs being more then aircraft that operate at 41,000 feet in temps as low as -40C, G-forces as high as 6 g's, and speeds up to 500mph.

Possibly the real answer is what the market will bear, and since more people wish the Veyron, the price can be set at the extreme level they are getting.

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    IMO you can't compare a Veyron to a plane. Two entire different things used for entirely different things.

I think the market for normal Veyrons will go down to sub-normal levels of around 4 to 600K euro. Supersports/grandsports double that. Special editions will be supersports money + whatever the next guy gives for it...

A normal Veyron at 500K would be good value imo, as long as you run it on aftermarket wheels + tires (I'd stick with ADV1. Good designs and have put a lot of development in them) and use the Bugatti wheels the time you are doing a 350km/h+ run.

23. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Y have owned a lot of super and high performance cars. My friend had two of these cars and they are stunning to look at. I sat in one but never asked to drive it.

I do have some costs he gave me although they are at least 6 years old.

He told me when the rear tires are replaced they must go back to France ay $35K for two tires. I know the car does 253 mph nut my Mosler does 255 mph and I do not due any crazy tire stuff. I would buy tires rated for the speeds I plan on going.

One of my car cost $1100 for oil change the full fluids change was $14,000. The Veryron would be quite more

Personally I would not buy one. My freind approached me about buying one of his. He told me at the time they were making 23 more cars than the production line was being shut down. Where would you get parts, or even someone who knowsthe car to work on.

There are equally sexy and fast cars that can be purchased,

Best

Lee

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Parts will be available from Bugatti. They're just shutting down production of the cars at some point. Support will be available for a long, long time from Bugatti too.

Which engine do you have in your Mosler?

25. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    It is all Corvette. This makes ir easy to get it working on in the USA

Glad to hear about the Bugatti

Lee