New Cali Owner looking for roads | FerrariChat

New Cali Owner looking for roads

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Bio510, Mar 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bio510

Bio510 Rookie

Mar 2, 2012
    Bay Area CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hello everyone just purchased a new Cali and wanted to get some suggestions on some of the best scenic roads/fun roads around the Bay Area. Looking to take the new car out and about and would love to hear everyones fav spots. Also looking forward to meeting some of you at the next Rally.

2. euro_king

euro_king Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2009
    San Jose, Jakarta
    Full Name:
    Jastien Weiss
    where are you located?

3. PinoyP

PinoyP Formula 3

Aug 7, 2006
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    AL
    Congrats! definitely join the FOG group we go out and drive every other Saturday. Post pictures of your car. Thanks!

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252738

4. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Congrats on the California! PinoyP has extended the invitation and I'll second it. PM Vraiment to get on the FOG email list.

Regarding the roads, most of us have our favorites but they are deeply guarded secrets that we do not like to advertise on a public forum. You will just have to come out with us to find out :)

5. doltond

doltond Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2008
    Sonoma and San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Dolton
  6. Semik

Semik Karting

Oct 12, 2011
    Sausalito
    Full Name:
    M
    Welcome! That's very exciting. Always great to have more Californias in the mix! ;)

7. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
    Congratulations!

One word: FOG

8. jd359

jd359 Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2004
    S.F. East Bay
    Full Name:
    J.D.
    Well, techically it's an acronym.

One acronym: FOG. :)

9. PinoyP

PinoyP Formula 3

Aug 7, 2006
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    AL
    JD always have something hehehe!

10. Semik

Semik Karting

Oct 12, 2011
    Sausalito
    Full Name:
    M
    +1 :p

11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Post some pics of your new Cali! There are a few in our group already and another would be most welcome.

12. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
    Indeed, the Cali contingent is growing

13. Bio510

Bio510 Rookie

Mar 2, 2012
    Bay Area CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks for the reply guys I will definitely be joining the FOG and look forward to learning all the secrets :)

14. Dave_Car_Guy

Dave_Car_Guy Karting

Apr 24, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It depends on where you are in the SF Bay Area. It's no secret that one of the greatest drives on the peninsula is the Hwy 35 and 84 trip. Take I-280 from anywhere to Hwy 92 west towards Half Moon Bay, as you crest the rigdeline on Hwy 92, turn left (south) on Hwy 35 and follow that twisty ridgeline road through the pines toward Woodside. At the junction of Hwy 84 ("Four Corners"), turn West on HWY 84 toward La Honda and take that road out to Pescadero. As you progress toward the ocean, the road changes from mountainous twisties through pine trees to wide open sweepers through farmland, and ends when you hit Hwy 1. Turn north, and go 10 miles or so into Half Moon Bay, maybe stop at the wonderful Ritz Carlton Hotel for a snack or drink overlooking the ocean, then continue up to HWY 92, turn East and that will take you back over the hill, past the Hwy 35 turnoff you started on, and back to I-280.

This is a great 1.5-2 hour drive, with every bit of perfection that California has to offer: Redwood forests, open farmland, small towns, coastal roads, sunshine. Wow. I'm going now...

I live in the East Bay now, and another favorite is out of Orinda: Orinda Road to Bear Creek Rd to Reliez Valley Rd in Martinez and then back again to climb Grizzly Peak Rd up to Tilden Park, then back down Fish Ranch Rd to Orinda or Berkeley. You can end on the back deck at the Claremont Resort in Berkeley and watch the sun set over the Golden Gate Bridge. Another great drive is to the top of Mt. Diablo, coming from Danville in the South or Walnut Creek in the North. That is a little hairy at points, a fairly slow drive. Mines Rd out of Livermore is also interesting, and if you want to venture out farther, head to Napa and drive Silverado Trail to Calistoga, have lunch there and keep going North on Hwy 29 into the tiny town of Middletown.

15. MT Tam I am

MT Tam I am Rookie

Jul 10, 2011
    Mill Valley
    I also like the Hwy 1 starting in Mill Valley to Stinson beach then over Mt Tam and back to Mill Valley for a quick run. Or from Stinson then to Bolinas and on to Sonoma county.

Enjoy the drive.