1990 Testarossa Oil Relief Valve | FerrariChat

1990 Testarossa Oil Relief Valve

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Talkwrench, Feb 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Talkwrench

Talkwrench Rookie

Nov 16, 2010
    West Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    Michael Millar
    We have a 1990 Testarossa with a sticky oil pressure relief valve.
    I'm hoping that access can be gained to it through one of the multitude of sump plugs present. Can someone tell me if this is the case? What is behind each of the 3 plugs on the left hand side of the sump? There are two requiring a 17mm allen key and a larger 42mm plug.
    I'm hoping that the 17mm plug nearest the front of the engine gives access to the oil relief valve. Can anyone confirm this?
    If not, is there a way to access it without either removing the engine or the whole left hand exhaust system and the side access plate?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Talkwrench

Talkwrench Rookie

Nov 16, 2010
    West Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    Michael Millar
    ok, so the answer to the first question is no. The three plugs are gearbox related and not engine. Great for draining gearbox oil though!
    So, through the sump plate perhaps? Anyone been in through that way and spied the oil pumps and relief valve?

3. Talkwrench

Talkwrench Rookie

Nov 16, 2010
    West Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    Michael Millar
    Removing the sump plate gives access to the two oil pickup strainers and the oil pressure relief valve. The valve is held in place by a 32mm plug made of aluminiumand is exceedingly tight. Be very careful if you have to remove it!
    As a matter of interest, the specification of the spring was changed after 1990. The later spring is thinner and more flexible. The sticky valve may well have been a known problem.
    Symptoms are very high oil pressure when cold until the valve eventually pops open and normal pressure is resumed. So if you have noticed this, or you have noticed a distorted oil filter when it was removed, this is the problem. Hopefully a good clean up of the valve and the new spec spring will cure the problem.

4. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Interesting handle, how about a little more profile information? It helps everybody. Thanks.

Sounds like you've found a good one to learn the inuendos of Ferrari cars on!

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #5 Melvok, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Talkwrench

Talkwrench Rookie

Nov 16, 2010
    West Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    Michael Millar
    The pictures tell it all.
    I've also added a little about me. Apologies for not having any profile details. Always seem to be too busy!
    Thanks again

7. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    #7 burriana, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm sure Michael won't mind me adding that it is my TR (pictured) that he looks after for all things mechanical, as he has with my previous 348 and several other cars.

I have known him for over twenty years and can safely say he knows more about the workings of the motor car than anyone I know. He also gets his restorative hands on all manner of interesting cars too, some with quite interesting histories. He really should stop collecting Jensen Interceptors though :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    O.K. Al & Michael !!

But is it now fixed ? Is the valve out ?

9. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    Yep, all done thanks Mel. It was very sticky and gooey, but new spring ordered, which was upgraded by Ferrari at some point, so obviously a sticking point, pardon the pun :)

But, my good fortune at not having to take the engine out before it is due has been offset by Michael finding a broken front spring. Only available from Ferrari - 640 GBP a pair.

Ho hum.

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Plenty of these springs at Eurospares I think ... ?

11. Talkwrench

Talkwrench Rookie

Nov 16, 2010
    West Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    Michael Millar
    Eurospares can source them, though not a stock item for them here.
    The price was within £2 of Ferrari!

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    And how much was that please ... :) ?

13. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    Like I said above Mel - £640 GBP per pair. Hell they are stiff though. Michael had to use the lift with a car on to settle down on to the springs to compress them enough to get the spring compressors on!