A dumb question....be kind | FerrariChat

A dumb question....be kind

Discussion in '308/328' started by rufus, May 21, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rufus

rufus Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2003
    Toronto & St PetesFL
    Full Name:
    Pete Gorrell
    So I have to replace a rear bumper shock... have the part; took a look today can't see a way in from the bottom; when I go in from the top there is a sound absorbing (?) mat that wants to self-destruct as I try to lift it; really, really well glued down.

Which is the right way in, please?

Top or bottom?

Tx! Pete

'82 308 GTSi

2. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #2 robertgarven, May 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Pete,

On the GT4 which I know is not your app it was under the carpet in my trunk. It does not show it in the 78 Parts manual I have but I would think your car is the same. Hopefully someone else will chime in. On my car under the carpet was a panel which when removed accessed the bumper mount.

I would not replace it but push the bumpers in. Mine are like molasses I can pull them out for a show or cleaning if needed or push them in. Not sure I want to hit anything either way :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    My 77 GTB is exactly like this too.

4. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Rufus,

IIRC, you have to go in from the top. You can't get to it from the bottom without cutting metal, and you don't want to do that. We did this with a friend's '83 QV, and accessed the shocks from the top, in the floor of the trunk. Unfortunately, that fiberous mat, if it's what I think you are referring to, is just going to fall apart. You can buy sound/heat barrier mat at just about any local auto parts store and replace it. Once you put the carpet back down, no one will know the difference. And you can pick up some 3M spray adhesive to tack down the new mat.

5. rufus

rufus Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2003
    Toronto & St PetesFL
    Full Name:
    Pete Gorrell
    Thanks guys; I was afraid that was the answer. I'll destroy/replace the mat. Maybe someone's been in there before and went crazy with cement.

Fchat is a great resource and the folk on it are a great community!

6. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm trying to remember how it all goes together. There is a fiberglass piece in there too that some of the insulation is glued to. Yes you do need to go through the top though. The insulation, the cover, and then a plate over the shock housing all need to come out. The shock housing may be full of insulation too.

Here is one post from when I had mine apart, I'll see if I can find any better pics on my computer at home tonight.... http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136539493&postcount=57

7. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Well I guess I didn't take a picture directly down on the open housing. You really don't want to go from the bottom though, several layers and multiple pieces to remove and then I'm not sure you'd have great access to the bolts and nuts.