HK Exotics spotting | Page 116 | FerrariChat

HK Exotics spotting

Discussion in 'Asia' started by ApeGen, Feb 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    this is exactly why imss is the way to go. i don't want a shop working against me. if you join ferrari owner's club imss gives a discount on parts and that will more or less kill any labour savings outside. also your car with more if you sell it with imss service record

2. alecela

alecela Formula Junior

May 12, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Jester
    I tend to agree. Been sticking w/ IMSS for over 10 years now and found them to be reasonable, not cheap but reasonable. I've used SPS as well and found them to be pretty good but they're not much cheaper than IMSS.

I have also tried MTX recently and found the mechanics to be quite knowledgeable. I believe they used to work at the Ferrari/Lamborghini dealers back in US.

3. Sir Paul

Sir Paul Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2008
    HONG KONG
    I have had my annual services done by IMSS for the last 5 years and have nothing but good things to say. There have been a few cases where there have been some mechanical repairs to be done (Clutch position sensor replacement, 575 SA Glass gas roof struts replaced, TPMS battery/sensor replacements etc) and they have discounted parts and labour from original quotes.
    Have alsways been attentive and professional and you need to have that trust in a place like HK where there are so many poor reputations for ripping you off on auto service.
    I concur with the others comments +++
    PAUL

4. pcht5

pcht5 Karting

Jan 31, 2009
    Asia
    Full Name:
    PCHT 5
    IMSS is a pretty go place to bring your car to for servicing. I've been doing it for the past 20 years. But just don't ask for the guy name Ben. Not very trustworthy.

5. Novice7

Novice7 Rookie

May 12, 2012
    Hong Kong
    During my pre-purchase lookarounds, I too was wondering why anybody would trust their cars to a repair shop outside of IMSS.

My own reason may not apply to you all, especially if you bought your cars directly from IM, but I bought mine from an outside dealer. The dealer had been upfront about his good relationship with a service advisor at IMSS Shatin, and I was OK with that when I agreed to send the car to the SA for a precheck.

Despite their relationship, I had trusted the SA to be solely my representative - since I was paying for the precheck. But I think this was made difficult by IM’s business model: apparently, dealers or workshops that refer repair jobs or regularly deal with IMSS get some kind of credit to identify how much business they have channeled. This determines the discounts they can get on parts (I heard can be as much as 30-40%, but I don’t have confirmation). In the meantime, I understand an SA has to justify his billings vs other SAs, so I guess it means he has to cultivate relationships with the people who can regularly bring in the bacon.

My agreement with the dealer was that if serious repairs were needed, he would bear the cost before I bought the car at his price. The obvious problem (eg, clutch worn down) simply had to be revealed, but I suspect a couple of problems were not. I just felt that the SA was not quite on my side.

Since I was not too happy with the disclosures, I switched to IMSS Ap Lei Chau (more convenient too as I stay on HK island). But the SA I requested for did not want to get involved, referring me to a team manager instead. So for all my subsequent visits, I was dealing with a team manager, not once an SA (not sure if that is better).

I am not sure how tight the connection is between Shatin and ALC staff, but I wasn't having a good feeling about this. One day, when the team manager was opening up my car file, I noticed the Service Repair records I had been paying for were still not in my name (which would have logged up all my repair credit – and therefore relationship with IMSS - to somebody else). They said they would rectify it.

I wanted to contact their GM to find out what was happening, but there is no proof the staff did anything wrong and it could all be just a mistake, so I let it drop. But that’s when I started looking around for alternate workshops.

6. v15ben

v15ben Formula 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Guys,

I'm a regular lurker in this thread and love the photos posted, especially from the Sunday drives at TMT / Luk Keng.

I last visited HK way back in 2006 and met a few local FChatters including Jon@Tezta and Mike who kindly gave me a ride to Luk Keng in his 348 which was a great experience.

I'm visiting HK in September with my girlfriend for a few days and was wondering if it is possible to get to the Sunday meets without our own car? Would we need to hire a car or find another way out there?

I would love to find a way for us to attend one of the Sunday drives and see all those great cars actually being used. Does anyone know a way I might be able to do so?

Also, I'm interested in popping by SPS to see the frankly incredible cars in stock at the moment. Is it possible for non-customers to go in, should I try and make an appointment and would they even entertain a random tourist popping in for a look? I'll happily stand at the window drooling on the glass if not!

Thanks in advance.

7. fck

fck Rookie

Jan 21, 2010
    HK
    I'm also have the same question regarding two service center something like without connection. My car the previous owner service the car by Kln center since new until they moved to Shatin, after that he switched to ALC for few years, when I bought it from him I switched to Shatin for service until right now. Amazingly Shatin the computer system without my car the service records for the period which done by ALC , lucky I have the photo copy for all invoices so it can proof my car have full service records since new.

8. Novice7

Novice7 Rookie

May 12, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Inaccurate/missing records is one thing. For me, it was the absence of trust in the integrity of the SAs due to what I understand is IMSS' business model that made me stray from IMSS.

9. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    i have a lot of experience with imss service in both shatin and apleichau and even before in tokkwawan. my views:

1. don't leap to conclusions on simple i.t. issues. they have new system about 18 months ago and there may be some simple transition issues

2. service advisers have integrity. head of service in each of alc and st has integrity. overall gm has integrity. you can disagree or not on pricing - that is normal business. but integrity is fundamental and they have it. it is funny to be questioning imss service adviser integrity against outside shop integrity

3. alc and st more or less work as one operation. right now i have 2 cars at st and one car at alc. i don't even think about one place or the other. imss send the car to wherever best capability. i don't question that

10. Onlinesys

Onlinesys Formula Junior

May 1, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Couldn't agree more

11. alecela

alecela Formula Junior

May 12, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Jester
    Can't disagree w/ you on that! :)

12. alecela

alecela Formula Junior

May 12, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Jester
    I have never dealt w/ the Shatin IMSS as I too live on the HKG side. Been w/ APC since they opened and Willen has been top notch looking after my car. Too bad he's now working in Shanghai! I think the problem that you ran into is possibly result of internal politics.

13. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    i never encountered internal politics. just picked up my 458 spider. what a cool car!

14. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Congratulations! What color combo if I may ask?

15. Martin D

Martin D F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin Dietz
    Hi Ben,

I went together with a HK-friend to SMD without a car two years ago. we took the MTR and then a mini bus to Luk Keng first and went later by taxi to Tai Mei Tuk. If I remember correct we paid for the taxi around HKD50.
    From TMT we went back to the MTR by mini bus again but I can't remember the station names....

Martin

16. IcyJ

IcyJ Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2010
    Hong Kong
    you can take the bus 75K from tai mei tuk back to tai po market station (mtr east rail)

17. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    #2893 FazzerPorscheman, May 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. v15ben

v15ben Formula 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Thanks for the advice you two.
    Great to know it is easy enough to get out there.
    Just have to convince the good lady now!

19. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    i like willen a lot too. he was an invaluable resource on my daytona. however i find the successor head mountford to be super capable too so do not really feel the loss of willen except on a personal level

20. Sir Paul

Sir Paul Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2008
    HONG KONG

I agree. I am also very comfortable and pleased to be having Kevin Mountford looking after my car and my interests when it is at IMSS. Its been in a couple of times recently for annual service and for a clutch position sensor failure and both done with efficiency and professionalism .....so I also decided to treat the SA to a full Swisvax treatment there as well. Looks fantastic!
    Kevin Koo was also helpful and the engineers/technicans were very quick to identify the fault and it was comforting that they could demonstrate clearly that the clutch position sensor (inside the gearbox/bell housing) was indeed (after a couple of weeks) a coincidence and unrelated to the service.
    PAUL

21. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    this is exactly the point. i don't think you would ever feel comforted at an outside shop. classic cars like the sa will have things fail and the coincidence is just that if you are really sure about the integrity of the shop. this entire chain was occassioned by various posters questioning the integrity of imss and/or various service advisers. it is interesting that the long-time customers feel differently

22. v15ben

v15ben Formula 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I'll probably be staying in Causeway Bay / Happy Valley area and was wondering what are the best places to see supercars being used in Hong Kong.

I've seen a lot of shots taken on Gloucester Road (especially on Sunday mornings.)

Anywhere else in Hong Kong where I'd be able to see supercars being exercised? :)

23. alecela

alecela Formula Junior

May 12, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Jester
    #2900 alecela, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
    Come on DM18, you are the VIP there so I would expect nothing less than top notch service for you... Don't know the actual situation of Novice7 and was merely suggesting that it could possibly be related to internal politics.

Congrats on the 458 Spider! What colour is yours? Do show some photos pls!