Maintenance question | FerrariChat

Maintenance question

Discussion in '360/430' started by babyboo, May 23, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. babyboo

babyboo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 28, 2012
    Nsuburban Chicago
    Full Name:
    Baby Boo
    I'm considering a 430 and have seen several cars in the 4000 mi range. As I'm pricing these cars out I would like to consider when the major service is due on these cars and the approximate cost. I have been told that the fluids need changing on a yearly basis (at $1200 to $1500) and that there is a 5 K and 15 K major service due. Is that correct? It's not that I can't afford the maintenance, its just that I want to be able to factor an imminent required maintanence expense with what I am willing to pay for the car.

2. Mo T

Mo T Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Mohammed
    There are a dozen of threads on this subject, am not sure about maintenance intervals but the manual (ferraridatabase.com) lists them.

3. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    There is no "major service" in the traditional sense. Fluids, filters and inspections annually. Spark plugs are supposed to be replaced at 30K. I guess that's the major.

Dave

4. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    +1. I now have ~9300 miles and apart from regular service intervals (things mentioned above) I haven't done any "major" type of service. The 430 is cheap to maintain, not counting replacement parts.

5. babyboo

babyboo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 28, 2012
    Nsuburban Chicago
    Full Name:
    Baby Boo
    #5 babyboo, May 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    If you think you can say, "I am going to spend this much...per year and that is it" I don't think that can happen with a Ferrari.

Spent a bundle on the 308 and even more on the 360 for "little stuff".

Whatever you set as your annual expense be sure to have at least five to ten times that much set aside for major mishaps.

Just speaking from experience.

Good luck in your search.

7. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    #7 Ky1e, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
    The first 5 checklist items are good, many of the rest are fluff (i.e. check interior leather condition, check wheels for tightening, check tire treads, check wheel rim condition?). The newer FCars a very much like any other modern car-- change the fluids, keep up on regular maintenance, keep it clean and she'll run great and look great. Sure repairs cost more than other cars but the days of "engine out major services" are over. They really can be used as daily drivers.

To me the extra costs of the Fcar (I've only had it 1 year) have been things like $1100 for rear tires after 4000 miles of use, $7000 for Capistro Twin Tune exhaust upgrade (my choice), ~$5K on upgrades like CF airboxes, daytona seats, laser jammers, passport radar, yellow tach. Getting car detailed every month, paying the "Ferrari tax" (bigger tips, bonuses and donations since you drive an FCar:). Then there is depreciation and opportunity cost of the purchase price. All in all, a couple thousand in actual Ferrari recommended maintenance is not much in the overall FCar ownership cost, nor is really a cost consideration (IMO). Be prepared to drop $10K, $20K, or $30K in year for having the Fcar and if you spend less so be it. If your good with that you'll have a lot of carefree fun.

8. babyboo

babyboo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 28, 2012
    Nsuburban Chicago
    Full Name:
    Baby Boo
    Thanks. I do understand that I'll have sigificant maintanence expenses. Not a problem. I'm just looking for a way to compare different cars. If there's a major expense at a specific milage and a comparable car has already had it done then, all things being equal, I'll take that one and avoid the extra cost.

9. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    IIRC $12k was the most spent on the 360 in a year...new clutch and belts at one service (F430 no belts @$2.5k). In any case much cheaper than buying a 458. Maybe cheaper than the interest on a 458.

All is well. Enjoy.

10. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Good point. Buyers are so focused on maintenance costs when other costs are much higher on modern Ferraris. 100K can be put into dividend stocks returning 5% so there is a 5K/year cost right there. Not to mention depreciation. Routine maintenance on my 430 has averaged $700./year. Consumables like tires and brakes have added much more especially since I track it some. Insurance, registration, etc. all make maintenance look like a pittance.

Dave

11. ninja_eli

ninja_eli Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Ali
    First major service at 6250miles, then again at 18750 and then every ~12k miles (it's actually at 10,000 km, 30,000km and then every 20,000km thereafter).

If you don't hit the mileage, it's an annual service (oils etc).

cost here in the uk is £900 for annual, £2200 for major.