Getting Excited - '12 GS Coupe SUPERCHARGED | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Getting Excited - '12 GS Coupe SUPERCHARGED

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Piper, May 4, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Should be quicker I reckon ... your car should have a better power to weight ratio than a Z06 which does a 1/4mile in 11.5-11.7 sec

Regardless it should bonkers fast :)

2. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yeah, I guess you're right. I'll have 100 crank hp on a Z06. Holy crap, my first 10 sec car. I had a nitrous injected trans am back in the 90's that I tried to make into a 10 sec car but failed, miserably. Bad engine setup and no money to rebuild.

3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Good luck with it, one bit of advice, I have a Z06 (no longer stock) and I do not know if your car came with the Goodyear runflats (or if they are changing wheels and tires for you) but if it did be very careful or your 600hp might end up somewhere you do not want it to be. In other words the tires stink and that is on dry pavement. I cannot write here what they are in the rain other than useless.

4. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    What tires do you recommend?

5. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    No bud light and no cow tipping yet (but looking forward to it lol) :)

Yep, I guess you would run faster than that. MIR had a horrible surface lately, but even on that you should be better...

Runflats and traction do not mix well. Even my srt8 Jeep was like on ice on these. I had a good luck with Nitto's.

6. aja

aja Karting

Jun 6, 2005
    pepper pike,oh
    Full Name:
    adam adelstein
  7. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Which, C5 or Z06? Regarding Z06, I don't want a stick. Ever.

8. aja

aja Karting

Jun 6, 2005
    pepper pike,oh
    Full Name:
    adam adelstein
    Callaway automatic.

9. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Eh, Callaway's just a name, IMHO anyway. This from a guy that will gladly serial buy Ferrari's. I looked at Callaway. They charge a ridiculous premium. I'm getting essentially the same car from Lingenfelter, same E-force supercharger. I don't want the name, the bling, the hood, none of it. I want a total sleeper. My car is $70k delivered with supercharger and is essentially the same car Callaway would sell for $100k+.

10. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Depends on whether you want run flats or not. My car has more juice than what you are getting and those tires almost killed me (though I never drive with the traction control on) I would suggest the Bridgestone run flats, pretty good all around street use tire, around $1600.00 a set at tire rack.

11. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #36 Piper, May 19, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
    I'd rather be safer all the time than have a tire made for convenience in the remote event I get a nail. From what Valter is saying, sounds like any run flat is going to be less safe. I never knew that. I wonder if I might strike a deal with a local tire shop to trade my brand new OEM run flats for credit toward a better set. There were good things said about Michelin Super Sports on Corvetteforum.

12. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Wired final payment today. Have selected a carrier to get her to Gerrardstown, WV for $600 and can pick her up there, or for another $100 they'll trailer her again and bring her the rest of the way. I'm going to try to pick her up so she isn't trailered twice.

13. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Really great! I look forward to hearing about your experience :)

14. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    Are you sure about "she"? Get ready to discover some ballz there ;)

Should be scenic drive to WV, congrats!!!

15. spdrcr

spdrcr Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    The '03 Z06 that I just bought has a brand set of the Michelin Pilot Super Sports wrapped around a +1 set of Fikse's and I am very happy with them. Good ride, not a lot of road noise, lots of stick, and actually a decent tread wear rating too. Probably a significant upgrate over any runflat tire.

16. Bad Chariot

Bad Chariot Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Reading, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I had a chance to drive a 2012 G/S Vert today and I am still smiling! A guy I know has the G/S and a ZR-1. He was in the ZR-1 and I had the G/S. Real comfortable, definitely hauled asphalt. I am real tall so I did have to take my hat off so it didn't blow away. I can't wait to drive the Zr-1 next :)

17. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Left Lingenfelter today. Will pick up from Applewood in West Virginia tomorrow.

18. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Very cool. Should be a nice almost sleeper. I know I don't expect much from the grand sports. Just a pretty shape missing a motor. But I think you've fixed that :D

19. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yeah, 600hp crank. Started off ordering a 670hp package and scared myself thinking about it.

20. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Haha. What's an extra 70hp at that point. Can wait to hear your impression of it.

21. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Quite a bit, apparently. From asking around, I gather that Corvettes get significantly harder to handle up toward 700hp. 600 is more than I could ever need but apparently 700 can overwhelm the car and driver by accident pretty easily.

22. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Makes sense. I've heard the same about the GT. Get north of 750 and the chassis doesn't handle it well. But I'm sure you'll have more than enough. Wonder how it will compare to the 430. Not the same league I know, but never know.

23. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I've driven enough vettes to know what to expect. It's an automatic. Motor is completely different, low rev high torque. Nothing about it will be similar. But American muscle is an old friend. I'll enjoy it immensely.

24. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Muscle with the ability to stop or turn. I do love the shape of the C6. To me it's what a sports car should look like.

25. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    If there is one thing I am enjoying as much as driving my Z06 it is all the stuff you can do to it. I am now working on the suspension and then steering. I owned a 430 coupe and a Gallardo (turned to RWD), and I think the Z06 is not only in their league, it might be a few notches above affter some inexpensive changes. People who turn their noses down at these cars have either never really driven one, or do not know enough to look past the emblem.