Buying a parts car... maybe an ethical question? | FerrariChat

Buying a parts car... maybe an ethical question?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by FarmerDave, Jun 13, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #1 FarmerDave, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
    I noticed car that has been abandoned on a side lot for many months. I need things like motor mounts, spare rims, really every mechanical part I'd strip off and keep as a spare, because racecar. Don't care if the car runs or not. This just happens to be the perfect year make and model.

The office next door says the empty lot is owned by such and such construction co... they aren't in phone book, no website.

Weeks go by and a few days ago I see a pickup and trailer there on the side lot, with "such and such construction" decals on it. So I leave a note saying I want to buy this car, call me.

This morning lady calls "do you want to buy the car?" Yes. "What will you give me?" Does it run? "Yes... but I owe a note on it, I need to pay the note on it off to sell it." I really doubt it runs. I explain it's worth about $300 to me, being generous IMO. "Oh no, I'd need to pay the note off to give you the title." She did not know how much she owed which tells me she is way behind on her note.

So I end the call but wonder later...

Is it unethical to run her (well expired) license plate through a public database to find out who the lienholder is, and telling whoever holds the lien, know where the car is, if he wants to pick it up, and try to buy it from him? That seems pretty grey, ethically, because this lady's business is none of my business.

Another idea I had, was just offering to buy the car from her without a title, since I'm only interested in parts... but this seems wrong, to take possession of something that's collateral on a note, and essentially destroy what little actual value it has... just seems less ethical and possibly illegal, even if I'm not a party to their contract, to tempt the borrower into selling the car without a title.

But would it be illegal for her to sell me parts off the car? Hmmmmmm...

Anyway, interesting thought exercise. For the record I'm not going to take any of these courses of action.

2. tblount

tblount Karting

Sep 29, 2007
    The lienholder would still have rights to the property even if you bought it in good faith without knowledge of the lien correct? And wouldn't it be fraudulent for her to sell you the vehicle knowing another party had a secured interest in the property?

Also wouldn't the parts to the car be considered a accession to the vehicle? If so wouldn't the lienholder retain the rights to those parts as well?

I had to do a presentation in one of my law classes about this very subject a couple of semesters ago and I remember it being a bit tricky, but interesting nonetheless.

3. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Ah, there's the question that has spawned endless internet debate. What parts of the car are actually the car?

Thesus' Paradox.

4. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    when / where i was growing up, that was called the "midnight partts store" :D

IMO if a car is derelict, doesn't make for restoration, then using for parts isn't a bad things at all ....they keep telling us to "reuse before we recycle" :)

5. Ferrari Envy

Ferrari Envy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille
    I don't see how it would be unethical to track down the title holder. She obviously has been hiding it and has no intention on paying it down anytime soon if she doesn't even know how much she owes.

As for the second part, you're right, it would be a bad idea.