Ferrari 308 at pp, info | FerrariChat

Ferrari 308 at pp, info

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Palermofazio, Jun 27, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Palermofazio

Palermofazio Karting

Oct 4, 2011
    burien
    Full Name:
    Cristoforo fazio
    Does anyone have information, on the 308, at park place motors,

2. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #2 Cavallino Aficionado, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
    What, it's back??? That was my bosses car and he (edit: I thought?!) sold it through PP about a month ago. Same VIN 33225. Is it actually there or just still on thier website?

He owned the car for 25 years :)

3. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    The asking price of $35K is really high for a 1980 injected 308.

You should be able to find a nice 4-valve ('83-85) for that price, or even less.

4. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yeah, that's PP for ya! I'd chew them down a bit...

5. M Baker

M Baker Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2010
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Unless I'm missing something PP has a nice car there. The sum of all its attributes makes their price seem reasonable. I'd rather pay more (and I do) for a well sorted car with good history any day. There are not many 308's for sale right now that have had the same owner for the last 25 years that are in this condition.

6. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    It is well sorted (for a 32 year old car), last 25 years of ownership by a meticulous architect and serviced by Carlo.

7. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Looks very clean.
    I thought on a GTSi the headlight louvers were supposed to be body colored?

8. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
  9. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    Is this the green one I saw at PP yesterday or is that another one? It was in the back of the lot.

10. RED GTS

RED GTS Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gungnir
    The fact that its at park place should be enough.

11. M Baker

M Baker Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2010
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I am in the car business and hear this argument comparing used cars. And in this thread I'll state what I basically have to say to some folks - if you want a $26k car have fun and go to Tucson (or wherever) and get it. If you want a well-sorted local car from a dealership with all documents then pay about $10 grand more. There may be a little wiggle room at PP - note the word "little". I have no affiliation with PP or the 3x8 owners. In a lot of cases you simply get what you pay for.

12. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Yes, if it was a higher end car. But $10K is a big difference when you're talking about cars that are only worth $20K-40.

The Hagerty insurance valuation guide lists the average value of a 1980 308 GTSi at $19,555

The 1980-1982 injected 308s are the least desirable, compared to a carb or QV 308.

13. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Palermofazio, are you still looking into this one? It was maintained for the past 25 years by Carlo. :) Don't you have a family connection there...?

14. RED GTS

RED GTS Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gungnir

This was not meant to be a compliment. Thanks D

15. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Most of us already knew that but good to clarify ;)

16. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #16 sammyb, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    As someone who has also been around the auto sales industry, I couldn't disagree more with Mark regarding dealer vs. private seller. The ONLY value most dealers provide is convenience -- they live off people who want a car and don't know or don't care about the higher asking price, because they don't research the market effectively. Dealers buy bad cars and sell bad cars just as frequently as they buy and sell great cars. A well-documented car is a well-documented car.

Now depending on the state, the legal backlash from selling a bad car is different between private and dealer.

The fact of the matter is that most dealers get their cars from private sellers, do nothing, add a percentage and sell it to a private buyer. Cars under ten years old are often bought by dealers at auction with little or no idea of the condition or history. Why then is a dealer car better?

And this is the issue: when it comes to any type of used vehicle -- classic or simply just another 40K mile Volvo, dealers often deliver no added value. Indeed they usually do more to hide problems than private sellers. (I always go back to my friend going to PP to pick up his pristine Porsche 928 that they failed to sell and seeing one of the PP staff touching up a 308 GTS bumper with a Sharpie.) When was the last time you saw a receipt from the dealer for something that couldn't be seen other than a new battery?

Don't get me wrong -- there are very good dealers out there, but the percentage may be lower than good private sellers to bad private sellers. Finding a collector car dealer that actually unravels issues stemming from a bad car (unknowingly selling a car with major issues) is a needle in a field of haystacks.

What you're paying for at most dealers is no more than dealer profit -- or maybe a Costco-sized bottle of Armor All used on the black bits. You pick up the tab on them marketing the car, because unless there are safety items required by state dealer licensing law to be fixed before selling, they'll usually avoid doing anything not 100-percent cosmetic.

17. Palermofazio

Palermofazio Karting

Oct 4, 2011
    burien
    Full Name:
    Cristoforo fazio
    I am really wanting a 328 gts,

18. rushdriven

rushdriven Formula 3

Jul 1, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    John R. Eltringham
    It appears that it sold and is now for sale again:

04/19/2012

Dealer Inventory

Vehicle offered for sale

04/26/2012

Park Place Limited
    Bellevue, WA
    425-562-1000
    parkplaceltd.com

Maintenance inspection completed
    Washed/detailed

05/05/2012

Dealer Inventory

Vehicle sold

06/25/2012

Park Place Limited
    Bellevue, WA
    425-562-1000
    parkplaceltd.com

Vehicle offered for sale

06/26/2012

Dealer Inventory

Vehicle offered for sale

06/30/2012

Park Place Limited
    Bellevue, WA
    425-562-1000
    parkplaceltd.com

Vehicle serviced

19. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    #19 GaryReed, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  20. M Baker

M Baker Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2010
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    One difference is I haven't been around the industry, I am in the industry. I personally have sold over 1,500 cars in just the last eight years alone. The car business is like any business with human beings. I have had my share of doctors, architects, attorneys, pilots, etc... a surprising amount of white collar "professionals" with poor ethics who could really care less about me or their other clients. I have come across a few that are exceptional and those are the ones that I work with.

A lot of my customers have done their research before they get to the dealership and with the internet continue to do it at the dealership. If a customer wants to see it I will show the receipt for all the work we did on the used car. We do a lot more than use Magic Markers and oil changes on our used cars. Most of the cars we sell are trade-ins. We will also buy used cars in the open market as well as lease return cars that we feel would be good additions to our used car lot. We have a great reputation and we work hard to preserve it. Used cars are not perfect that's why they sell for less. If a customer has an issue with the used car we've sold them we will work with them to find a solution.

21. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #21 f355spider, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
    I cannot speak for other dealers, but I can tell you that every 308/328 I have ever seen at Ferrari of Seattle for sale was an extremely nice example. I can also tell you they rarely represent them. The reason (I was told) is most do not meet their standard of quality, originality and service history...simple as that. They had a very nice black 328GTS recently...it was outstanding, it was not there for long. ;)

22. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
  23. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon