Too hot? Drive it early! | FerrariChat

Too hot? Drive it early!

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Gatorrari, Jun 30, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #1 Gatorrari, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Having not driven my 328 in three weeks, I wanted to give it some exercise, but with the high heat forecast, I figured the trick was to get it done early. So what to do? Go get a doughnut!

I made one of my occasional trips to the weekly "Donut Derelicts" gathering in Chamblee, stayed until a bit after 9, and had the horse back in the stable by about 9:30, when it was just beginning to get uncomfortable.

As you can see, the usual eclectic selection of cars, including the first Fisker I had seen at D.D. And if you hadn't known it, that Z-car is actually Corvette-powered.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Cool variety there! You have a lot of automotive decades covered there. :) I agree about early morning runs with this kind of heat...good idea.

3. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    How were the donuts? I miss Krispy Kreme here... All we have is Dunkin' Donuts and the grocery chains which are not very good.

:)
    BT

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The shop owners are Chinese, but they make darn good doughnuts! And this meet occurs every Saturday, so there are lots of chances to eat them.

For anyone who hadn't noticed in the photos, Chamblee High School across the street is getting a major makeover.

5. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Thanks for the photos, nice variety of cars!

6. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    What is so nice about down there is... its just car folks enjoying cars. No vendors, no large club meets, no tents, people saving spaces... just cars.

7. Pantera72

Pantera72 Rookie

Jul 18, 2006
    Atlanta, Georgia USA
    Started by fellow Pantera owner Mike Dailey ten years ago.

It is what C&O was back in the very beginning. Low key, laid back, no dealers, no vendors no pretense just car guys .

8. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I see Mike Dailey driving his beautiful Pantera in Chamblee all the time! I could swear that he has been doing Donut Derelicts longer than 10 years right? I've been to so many I cannot recall when we started going!

9. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    +1. i need to go back to donuts again as i haven't been in ages. i did not go to the last 2 C&Os as to be honest while there are many cool cars, i don't want to fight the crowd that early in the am. I sure wish we could get the old Giovanni's scale type gathering back going. that and donuts would suit me just fine for regular activities.

10. www.PanteraPlace.com

Nov 1, 2003
    Thanks for posting the pictures Jim and I always enjoy seeing you and your 328 at the event.

There were a number of people from the de Tomaso community involved in the startup of Donut Derelicts and here is some more information about the event http://www.panteraplace.com/page92.htm Like stated on the page “There is no agenda, no one is in charge, it's not a car club, no membership, no fees, just talk cars, eat donuts and show your latest creation”.

The event size is self-limiting to about 80 parking places although sometimes we make extra ad hoc parking places. I think over time the size limit has proven to be a good thing and as shown above in the pictures there are a broad mix of cars that attend and we have much fun.

Mike

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I dove my BB512i this morning in the Cumming area from around 10-to 11am with the windows down...man was it hot!