OT - Canada Travel Help | FerrariChat

OT - Canada Travel Help

Discussion in 'Canada' started by 360stimo, Aug 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    #1 360stimo, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
    Guys,

Hope you don't mind this OT thread but i'd appreciate some advice from some locals. Decided to head to Canada for my honeymoon end of June / start of July 2013 . Planning it so far in advance as i'm doing the flights on air miles from London to Vancouver. Looking to do Vancouver, see some wildlife, Kayak with Orca's and see the rockies in about 17 nights.

Best Hotel in Vancouver?
    Four Seasons
    Rosewood
    Shangri La
    Fairmont

Kayak With Orca's from Vancouver.
    Any company you would recommend for a 2/3 night trip?

Best place to see Wildlife
    Sonora Resort
    Nimmo Bay Resort
    Jasper

Rockies
    Apart from the Royal Canadian Pacific Train which is seriously expensive, which train companies and routes would you recommend? I'm told Banff and Lake Louise are must see places as well as Jasper?

Rocky Mountain trains has the below routes.

Vancouver - Kamloop - Lake Louise
    Vancouver - Kamloop - Banff - Lake Louise - Calgary
    Vancouver - Whistler - Quesnel - Jasper
    Vancouver - Kamloop - Banff - Calgary

I'd really appreciate any advice or suggestions of things i haven't mentioned or know about.

Thanks in Advance

Chris

2. 1turbobrick

1turbobrick Karting

Nov 29, 2011
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Dale W
    It seems like you have done your research and have an idea of what you want to see. Given the distance between points and accessibility to train/bus routes, I would suggest you look at renting a vehicle. There are many beautiful sights to see that aren't accessible by any other transportation method.

Look at Vancouver Island as well. Places like Tofino and Ucluelet are stunningly beautiful and offer many opportunities to see marine life through charters or rentals. Check VRBO.com for vacation home rentals in the area if staying in motels gets a little tiring. Don't discount Victoria and the south end of the Island as well. Point No Point Resort is beautiful and offers their own private beach for exploring tidal pools and some wading if you like cold water. Further down the coast near Port Renfrew is Botanical Beach- someplace well worth the hike to get to.

Driving from Vancouver to Kamloops is much more scenic through the Fraser Canyon than via the Coquihalla. The Yellowhead from Kamloops to Jasper is a pretty drive. The Icefield Parkway from Jasper to Banff is stunning.

I'm sure others will have their own idea of how to spend 2+ weeks in Western Canada...

3. La_Rossa

La_Rossa Karting

May 11, 2012
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I agree...
    Although I'm from Montreal, I've spent some time in BC and you really want to rent a car.
    In the long run it will cost you less than a train.
    The obvious advantage is you get to set your own schedule and get to take those side roads that the bus and/or train won't take you too...

Oh and Vancouver Island is a definite must as 1turbobrick mentioned.

Congrats on the upcoming nuptuals!!!

4. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Thanks Guys, really appreciate it. Will look into the car rental option.

Found this place in Tofino http://www.wickinn.com/ - which looks great !

Appreciate the help

Chris