Interesting GTO concept | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Interesting GTO concept

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rmnunez, May 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. angrysasha

angrysasha Rookie

May 25, 2010
    definitely interesting variations... less edgy makes it immediately more recognizable as a ferrari.

i personally will not defend my front end!.. i have recently come up with a better idea for the front layout but never had time to model it in. maybe i will use this new idea on another car later on....

a bit of 288gto edges are still not too bad though, for example the three openings on the bonnet imho look better when they are more geometric... otherwise too much of a copy paste of the old solution.

2. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    #77 Michiel Mobiel, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I agree to some extend, but in fact the D-gaps do not really need to be there at all. They would serve a true purpose, however, when they are inverted and located behind the radiator to let the hot air flow out of the engine bay. I've done this with "my" GTO some time ago.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. angrysasha

angrysasha Rookie

May 25, 2010
    great solution! i was also very uncofortable not having a clear function for those three intakes... your theme makes great sense.

question, the air scoop on the 550 and 575... that was functional right? it was feeding the engine, right? technicaly those three intakes could also be used for engine or not? radiators are lower, thats true, but the engine still needs its own air intake from what i understand.

4. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    Yes, on the 550/575 the intake is functional, but also positioned a bit too far back for optimized air flow. The Prodrive FIA GT version and the 575 GTC don't use the bonnet intake. The gap is closed with black plastic/cf.

The grilles we both use are massive enough, so there's no need for any additional intakes. Outlets are welcome. I just reworked the layout used by Prodrive on their DBR9.

5. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
  6. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    #81 Michiel Mobiel, Jun 7, 2010
  7. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    #82 Michiel Mobiel, Jun 7, 2010
  8. angrysasha

angrysasha Rookie

May 25, 2010
    thanks for making it clear! appreciate it!

generally i have a bit more experice with mid engine layout and this front engine thing was a bit new for me. thanks again for the info.

9. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    You're very welcome. I understand. Not many front engined hypercars within the VW Group, are there?

10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  11. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Camaroesque.

12. P 4 Staff

P 4 Staff Rookie

Feb 10, 2004
    Congratulations "angrysasha".

Your car was presented today in the Swedish newspaper "Aftonbladet".
    http://www.aftonbladet.se/bil/article7270336.ab

The comments I guess are 60/40 to your advantage.

Very nice "angrysasha".

Best: Staffan

13. sambomydog

sambomydog Guest

May 23, 2009
  14. AYMAMI

AYMAMI Rookie

Dec 10, 2008
    Hi! You both are cracks on design! (And very glad to read you again Michiel!)
    My point of view is that is very difficult to see a continous line on Ferrari's design. To me this line has broken hundreds of times. First Daytona for example, was shocking, even it didn't seemed a ferrari at all at that time but it was gorgeous and we got used to it If you think of it you'll find a lot of examples. I mean, the firm has to have a continous image but finally we can only see the pen of Pininfarina, Scaglietti, Vignale or Touring. How to compare the Bertone's work on Lambos to present? And so on.
    This is not the case of other brands (read Porsche Mercedes Rolls Royce... a little boring isn't it?)
    To me Pininfarina doesn't do their best these days, and I'm sure there are better designers out there, but how to break the bunker?
    Lamborghini changed Luc Donkerwolke for Filippo Perini: Nothing happened. Perini's work is striking.
    Ferrari should look outside its shell at once. Renew yourself or die.

15. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    you do realize those posts are over 10 years old?

And claiming Ferrari doesn't renew itself and then referring to Lamborghini for an example of the contrary is just plain wrong. The Aventador is a clear continuation of the line that was started by the Countach in the seventies. The 458 is lightyears removed from the 308. And then there are the California and FF. Beautiful cars? Perhaps, perhaps not, but don't tell me Ferrari isn't constantly renewing.

16. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    10 years old? The original post is from 2 years ago...granted, still a long time ago to renew a thread. BUT, I never saw this thread and REALLY like the concept. Reminds me of the Shelby Daytona though...but none the less...beautiful.

17. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley