Direction of check valve? | FerrariChat

Direction of check valve?

Discussion in '308/328' started by jonesdds, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Air injection, got mixed up changing hoses. Arrow towards tee or towards under the plenum? Also wondering about the T there. Is metal and crumbled on hose replacement so need another. High temp plastic would seem better than metal as rust is obviously possible here. Any ideas of sources for this in plastic?

2. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    I can't see your photo -- for some reason it did not upload (you must be using a POS apple product :p).

To answer your question though, the arrow always points along the direction of positive air flow.......so, the arrow should point into the path leading into the plenum.

3. rockford

rockford Karting

Jan 23, 2009
    houston, tx
    Full Name:
    rockford woods
    That little plastic valve is ridiculously priced. The black one for Peugots is readily available. I myself bought a really nice metal one for MBs from Pelican Parts for about 35 bucks. Much better made. What is available is easily searched via Google. Good luck.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
    Arrow points toward tee (and the check valves) -- in the direction of the airflow.

PS This item is more often referred to as the "air injection cutoff valve" in the F documentation as its state is controllable by another (vacuum) signal. "Check valves" are more usually passive (uncontrollable) devices.

The first part of your statement is correct (the arrow always points along the direction of positive air flow), but you misread his original post -- there is no (large) hose going from this component into the plenum -- the hose (from the airfilter box -- which is the air source) just runs UNDER the plenum.

5. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks, that's what I thought. The valves fine but the T is toast. Is there a plastic T that's heat resistant to replace it with?

6. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Yep, thanks Steve :)

I did not read his post carefully enough :) My bad.....

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I don't know of anything offhand (and, if you want to go "plastic", it will need to be, at least, a fairly high-temp tolerant nylon material if not something more exotic). Don't know why that 109887 part price has gotten so far out of whack -- post #10 in this thread shows a (hardware store) brass piece that another Owner successfully substituted:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261833&highlight=109887&page=3

8. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #8 finnerty, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
    If you don't mind the way it looks, you can just wrap it with some foil tape / fiberglass cloth / (or even teflon tape) for a heat shield. I've got a lot of plumbing wrapped up on my cars :). It's a very economical way to protect $$$$ stuff.