Bosch Alternator Disassembly | FerrariChat

Bosch Alternator Disassembly

Discussion in '308/328' started by jmaienza, Nov 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #1 jmaienza, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I needed to clean my alternator of 32 years of dirt and grease. I took it apart, cleaned the grease from the cases,pulley and fan, inspected all parts, removed some rust from rotor, cleaned slip rings and brushes and re-lubed the rear bearing. Reassembled it then had it checked at Autozone and all systems passed.

Some observations:

I used Simple Green Extreme (aircraft version), CRC QD Electrical Cleaner spray, 400 grit sandpaper and brass brush to clean, polish and remove oxidation.

Most screws are slotted and are in very tight. Use the proper size screwdriver and go easy.

The pulley nut can be loosened as follows: After you separate the front and rear cases, the pulley and rotor will still be attached to the front half of the case (held on with the front bearing plate which is accessible once you remove the pulley). Secure the rotor in a vise (plastic or rubber jaws), now you can use a wrench to loosen the nut and then a puller to remove the pulley.

The diode assembly and stator are only connected to each other by three, large soldered wires. Handle this with care.

I did not have to replace the bearings. They both spun well. The front one was sealed on both sides. The rear one was sealed on one side and open on the other (with the balls held in by a cage) . This is the side that fits into the recess on the back case. I just cleaned out the old grease and repacked it.

The easiest part to find is the voltage regulator assembly, which includes the brushes. Brushes are also available separately and need to be soldered in the holders. Check the brush length and don't let them get too short or they will score the slip rings and then you will have to replace the whole rotor. The voltage regulator with brushes is held in with two screws and is "somewhat" accessible without removing the alternator. The round shield, held on by 4 nuts that attach to the case screws, will have to be removed, however, to gain access to the voltage regulator.

The internal parts are standard Bosch parts and used by several other cars, 95 Volvo 850 and 90 Audi 100, among others. This Ferrari alternator is 55A and other versions of this alternator may be higher amperage.

From my research, the Ferrari case is unique. Some Fiat applications also have the same three, mounting holes, but the 308 has a unique distance between the holes.

The Audi Alternator manual has some good info on bench testing as well as an exploded diagram of the parts.

Nice project for an afternoon.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    sweet. we live among geniuses.

3. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Nice picture!
    Thanks!

4. wolftalk

wolftalk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    san franciso area
    Full Name:
    phil
    #4 wolftalk, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    so you forgot to mark how the case was assembled before taking it apart. This picture should help. The cables exit the alternator closest to the lower mounting bolt.

also, the back cover ventilation tube opening is at the bottom of the mounted unit/bottom of this picture.

if you are seeing fluctuating output voltages, one possibility is oil vapor deposited on the slip rings. You can remove the voltage regulator/brush pack easily and hold a soaked towel on the slip rings as your spin the shaft. Use something like the cleaner mentioned above or denatured alcohol to clean the rings.

the 2.2uF, 100V capacitor is 0 290 800 036
    the vr/brush pack is 1 197 311 023
    the entire 85A alternator is 0120469641, though you'd rebuild rather than buying one

parts are basically the same as the 308 one above, except the case bolts are hex head and much easier to deal with.

pulley nut tightening torque is 26 ft-lb.

5. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    How did you torque the pulley bolt?

6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Open the jaws of a bench vise quite wide, wrap the pulley with an old leather belt. Tighten the vise just enough to grip the pulley - doesn't take much pressure to keep it from turning, then torque the nut.

7. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W