Atlanta Motorsports Park In-Car from weekend with Chin Motorsports | FerrariChat

Atlanta Motorsports Park In-Car from weekend with Chin Motorsports

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Seth Thomas, Nov 12, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Seth Thomas

Seth Thomas Karting

Jan 25, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Seth Thomas
    Had some fun at Atlanta Motorsports Park with Chin Motorsports this past weekend. Took the 4.0 out there to turn a few laps. The car got better and better as the weekend went along but overall I was fighting big understeer issues. Part of it I believe to be the soft front suspension and the other the stock Pilot Sport Cups. With better tires I feel I could find another second pretty easy. Enjoy the footage.

http://youtu.be/oFk6UgtgS6U

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Nice footage. I've been on the track in a pace-lap situation but not yet at speed. It is definitely one of Herman Tilke's better efforts, though I don't think that the "Karussell" (turn 4) is banked enough to really emulate its namesake corner.

3. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    weird to see the seats moving so much ... especially the passenger....

4. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Karting

Sep 23, 2009
    Atlanta
    Great video Seth.

5. Tripper

Tripper Karting

Oct 13, 2004
    Buford, GA
    Full Name:
    Trip Campbell
    You could consider it "new and improved". :)

6. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Interested to see if you still think this after driving it at speed.
    I was there a few weeks ago, and it's a dangerous place, IMO.

7. allans

allans Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    roswell, ga
    Full Name:
    allan
    Chris, I have driven it at speed. 1:32s in a stock 991 Carrera S. I can tell you it requires good skills and full attention. It can be driven more slowly without undo risk. Allan

8. Tripper

Tripper Karting

Oct 13, 2004
    Buford, GA
    Full Name:
    Trip Campbell
    AMP was designed to FIA safety standards by the top track design firm in the world. The term "dangerous" has never been used to describe the track. Did you drive it at speed, Chris? When were you at AMP?

9. Horse-power

Horse-power Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2006
    Atlanta/Florida
    Full Name:
    West
    #9 Horse-power, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just recently I had an an opportunity to drive a Ferrari F430 around this awesome track with Velocity Motorsports. Evan Halliday runs this program and he is a phenomenal instructor. If you have an opportunity I highly recommend contacting him. Listed below is a link to his site.

http://www.velocitymotorsports.com/experiences.html

The track itself is very challenging and a blast to drive. Here are a few pics of the Ferrari....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    i drove it under "pace" conditions and found at full tilt it would require attention and yea it could be "dangerous" if you lost concentration, but that could be said for about any track. it is very technical and not one which you can relax at any point. personally if i was a member, i would drive a lowered powered car to be able to fully exercise the car.

11. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    was that the groupon thing that was going around ?

12. Horse-power

Horse-power Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2006
    Atlanta/Florida
    Full Name:
    West
    Hi Henry, I actually found out about this program through Jim (Gatorrari) indirectly. When he posted up his pics from his visit to AMP there was an advertisement decal on the car. So Jim, if you're reading this....thank you :). Henry they also have a Porsche to drive. Velocity Motorsports advertises through travelzoo discounts.

13. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Allan and Tripper,

Yes, I have driven it at speed. 1:35.xx in my track-prepped e36 M3.
    I was there the first weekend in November.

I guess you and I are talking to different people, as several I have spoken with agree that the walls are close and there is very little runoff.

I'm not in any way trying to discourage anyone from going there or joining. The facilities are excellent and it is a great place. It is just my personal opinion that the lack of runoff makes me nervous in some areas. All that means is I take it easy and don't push as hard--it's still fun!

Regards,

Chris

14. jenk12m

jenk12m Karting

Mar 26, 2007
    Look at tracks like road atlanta and Watkins glen. There is very little run off room there but they are great tracks that people love driving and at crazy speeds. I've done 1:29's at AMP and enjoy doing it... Yea I got Seth by half a sec while he's still on sport cups and taking a passenger :D