Ferrari incompatible with protecting wildlife ? | FerrariChat

Ferrari incompatible with protecting wildlife ?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F328GTS/GTB, Jan 6, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F328GTS/GTB

F328GTS/GTB Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Denis
    During a dinner I had with friends and collegues, we had a discussion about wildlife protection. I told them I was a supporter/member of Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (www.seashepherd.org).
    Some people were very surprised : You drive a Ferrari, so you don't care environnement. It is very strange behaviour ! You cannot do both.

I explained them it is absolute two different things : you can enjoy driving a Ferrari and enjoy nature/ support animal wildlife protection. No incompatibility at all. At the end of the talk, they agreed with me, especially that the fight of Sea Shepherd was right and very courageous.
    But I am still a bit upset or embarassed by their first reaction. I think I am not the only Ferrari owner having some consideration for nature or animals fate. Any thought ?

2. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    There's a knee-jerk reaction by enviornmentalists that "rich people want to destroy the environment", and an association that all F-car owners are rich, and with the transative property -- you, as a F-car owner, want to kill the enviornment one exhaust stroke at a time.

I live a mile from the "most environmentalist University" in the nation in a city always listed as one of the most environmentally conscious in the nation. Here, I'm always associated with being an environment killer, because I am an automotive journalist -- especially one that has written a column called "Top Ten Reasons I Hate The Prius". (One is that it is worse for the environment than any other new car made due to the sourcing of materials and production process.)

When I went to Boston University, I lived in the "Enviornmental Awareness House", albeit mostly because it had the largest room of any dorm on campus, and my roomate was able to score the room after living in the house his Freshman year. We were both Business majors, and the rest of the people in the house doubted that we could care about the environment and be business majors. The fact that I refused to recycle anything other than glass bottles (for which there was a deposit, but that wasn't the reason) made a couple of the ladies very angry, even though I explained that I had proof that (way back then) paper and plastic bottles weren't being used enough by companies enough to create a market to support even the small amount of voluntary recycling, therefore recycling bins like ours were being picked up and transferred to depots, where it would be processed and after a few weeks, the material would be picked-up again and sent to landfills. Obviously this was a net-negative for the environment. I was told that we were "making a statement", but I would say "so talk -- it's free, but your actions should be positive."

Like most topics, people's personal beliefs are based mostly on marketing and the overheard statements of parents and friends, or by media commentators whose only interest is to sell advertising space -- rather than actual facts. The rich or F-car drivers not caring about the environment is just another one to add to the list, along with generalizations about people in political parties, religions, socio-economic classes, races, and other stereotypes. You can go through an entire debate about why a 3X8 is better for the environment than a Prius or electric-grid Nissan Leaf if you think the person can grasp the concepts (like you did successfully), or you can simply walk away.

...but personally, I'm proud of you for setting the record straight!!! ;)

3. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There is a widely held assumption that all sports cars are gas guzzling gross polluters. Not (necessarily) true.

As with every car, mileage is highly dependent on how it is driven. A day at the track will go through a tank of fuel in no time flat, but for normal about town driving, my fun cars get better gas mileage and have lower emissions than most of the huge SUV's that crowd the streets.

I used to try to explain that to the people that sneered at me about it. Now I no longer bother. Let them think what they like.

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Agree, and sports cars tend to lead the way in lightness and efficiency.

If someone is concerned about protecting wildlife, they could go get their SUV crushed and recycled and that would be a win all around.

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    What's incompatible with wildlife is a human population growing without bound on this finite planet -- ask your friends what they are doing about that when the subject arises again ;)

6. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'll usually respond with something like this, tied up with an SUV commuting comment.

If they had true concerns they'd do a carbon footprint analysis and soon realise that their attitude to Ferrari ownership is symbolic of their ethical myopia and little else.

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I was listening to talk radio over the last couple of days on a long 1500 mile trip.

One subject on the show was that right now the agriculture on this planet can sustain 10B people with their current consumtion levels. If temperatures go up 2dC agriculture may only be able to support 3B people at current consumption levels. If all these people worldwide consumed like the average american, agriculture can only support 5B people right now.

I do not consider this a long term problem! Right now, nobody (excepting for china*) is attempting to get their populations under control. So, inevitably, world population will overshoot agricultural production and bad things will happen. Then later when the worldwide population gets back in check, the survivors will not let it happen again.

(*)A couple of european countries have birth rates under the level needed for constant population levels.

8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    We all have hypocrisies - those who are most vocal about them in others tend to be the folk who are most embarrassed by their own

9. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I sometimes try to remind people that the key to a performance engine is burning the fuel in the engine, rather than the exhaust pipe.

With a technically literate crowd, I can also explain that, of the two combustion processes for octane, the one that produces more power is the one that results only in CO2 and HO2 (and energy). Carbon MONoxide is the result of inefficient combustion -- which produces less horsepower.

Or I could mention the efficiency of lighter weight vehicles.

Or that my Alfa Spider -- without a cat -- passed the emissions requirements for *new* cars, right up until the state (MA) determined it was too old to have to pass emissions.
    Or that the Alfa, when new, got highway mileage comparable to a Prius today.

For the most part, I can see people shutting off their ears, somewhere during the discussion.

People prefer the bumper sticker slogans to correct answers.

As evidenced by the media now apparently ignorant of the difference between carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide.

10. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I drive daily fuel efficient cars. Just because I drive a Ferrari and hot rods, doesn't mean I over pollute or waist energy. Hey if you are really serious about the environment stop watering , fertilizing, and bagging your lawn grass. And heating your swimming pool nobody swims in etc. I admit the things I like most stink: hi performance cars,race cars, big piston engine aircraft,motorcycles, steam locomotives. But the amount of total mileage I drive yearly is small.

Ago

11. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Time for new friends?

12. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Heres a cure, stop hanging out w idiots.

I fired all my friends who went off the edge. Lifes too short for that bs

13. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Tell them you offset your carbon footprint by taking the natural gas bus.

14. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    As I have made a deliberate choice to live very close to work. 1.6 miles, to be exact.
    Over the 20 years I have worked here, I imagine I have saved thousands and thousands of tons of Co2 due to this choice.

Plus, wear and tear on...me.

A few thousand miles a year on my Ferrari is not going to offset that.

15. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Though Ferraris in specific tend to be abysmal in both categories...

16. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    I saw a Testarossa last year with a sticker in the back window that said "I Hug Trees". Made me chuckle! ;)

17. F328GTS/GTB

May 3, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Denis
    #17 F328GTS/GTB, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was sure to get at least one answer like this ! but no, after their strange first reaction, they understood and agreed. You know, when you speak about ecology or other things like this, you can have endless debate and "waste" some time/energy with no conclusion. People sometimes just don't want to change their mind, even if they don't have any idea about the subject.

But what I don't like is apathy. To give some background, I am turning 40 in some months, and was thinking how can I help beyond my family: So many concerns around the world... I am not Bill Gates who gives some much money to help people.
    Help poor children (thinking to give a little to support Ayrton Senna foundation...) or wildlife ? After looking at several associations, sea shepherd appeared so obvious to me. With some figures and explanations, my friends and collegues clearly understood the thinking and conclusion/supporting action.
    Thanks all for your messages. Regarding the Testarossa who hugs trees, I will think to put a Sea S sticker on the 328 rear...Some rough photoshop 's here.. You have two GTB's on one pic. Not so nice !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Laugh of the day by far. Thanks, after all the latest news I needed a great laught.

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Can we get a translation of your article, would love to read it. I once heard the most enviromentaly friendly car was a jeep Cherokee. they last a long time,andd due to the metals used, use comparatively little energy to create and are easily recyclable.

Would love nothing more than to point out to hybrid users how thye are destroyin g the enviroment.

20. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Something else to consider:

Because Ferrari's are so low and aerodynamic - they only kill half as many flying bugs as family saloons do, and only a quarter as many as big 4x4's do! :)

21. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    People are aiding water shortages by recycling as well. I bet there are people that have low volume flush toilets, only water the grass once a week, and do a number of other things to save water, but rinse out each recyclable container prior to recycling. How much water is being wasted doing this? I say a sticky can is an environmentally friendly can.
    Also, I understand that when the auto was first developed, it was considered the answer to the horse dung pollution problem. I wonder if a hundred years from now, people are standing around asking "what are we going to do with all the hazardous byproducts of these batteries from our hybrid and electric cars"? Sometimes the seemingly glorious answer to an existing problem comes back to bite you in the long run.

22. F328GTS/GTB

May 3, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Denis
    I think your message is for SAMMYB.

23. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

In your zeal you are assuming that the average Hybrid owner really gives a ****.