Is it just me or is Portland becoming.... | FerrariChat

Is it just me or is Portland becoming....

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by tuttavelocita, Jan 14, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    Very anti-exotic cars, I guess also it could be attributed to wealth or appearance there of. I took the 458 out for the first time in awhile the past two days just to stretch its legs on these rare sunny days and was flipped off twice for no reason. One incident I was passed on the hwy by a car full of 20 somethings and one kid decided to show off by giving me the bird for a few minutes, mind i was in the middle lane going the speed limit and they weaved through traffic to catch up to me. The other was just now as I was driving home from the pearl cutting through downtown and some kid (i say kid but he could've been anywhere between 18-35) stopped dead in his tracks to give me the oddest bird ever, its as if he was trying to hide it. I've also had 2 other incidents this past year were a biker coming at me in the opposite direction spat on my car when my window was down, and another when someone decided to walk out in front of the car and then continued to walk in front of me blocking my path......he was eventually arrested by the police who watched the entire incident.

I would love to say this doesn't bother me, but it does make me wonder if i should even own this car here in Portland and if it would be better suited some place else? I do spend the majority of my time here lately but Portland is becoming one of those cities that if you do well for yourself you better not show it because people will judge you. It seems not to matter how much you give back to the community in some peoples eyes if you spoil yourself as well.

Not going to let it sour ownership of such an amazing car, but it was good to vent i guess!

2. F355 Spider

F355 Spider Formula 3

Jun 21, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Sonny
    Don't sweat it... I think you mentioned it plenty in your venting "some kid"... I think we have all had sometype of drama at one point or another.. Not to mention driving my car with the top down, I've had plenty of unsolicited "conversations" with cyclists and the occasional meth addict... No worries, drive it proud....

3. seanm858

seanm858 Rookie

Nov 29, 2009
    nw washington
    Full Name:
    Sean McDonough
    I think what you are seeing is the 20 something videogamer/slacker, I want it given to me type of
    person,or occupy movement type.Enjoy the car,you worked hard to get it !

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    This is nothing new. I have found the vast majority of people in Portland like the cars, just like anywhere else. I suppose it matters where in Portland you are-- I have found northwest Portland to be the worst.

Portland has always been known for a culture of not showing off wealth... in spite of that, there are a surprising number of car collections, and Tonkin seems to do pretty well.

5. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I've never once been flipped off or given hostile looks in the past 5 years driving my 456M. Sometimes, guys in ricers want to "race" me on I-5, and I just laugh and shake my head. Lots of positive comments (usually from women over 50, :rolleyes: ). However, I've rarely driven it in the NW section of downtown.

6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I love my visits, and find coming from the conservative southeast very... enlightening. It does bug me though the "hipster" anti-wealth, anti-success attitude that I "felt" in portland. Yeah I get it.. it's cool to hang out in Coava and work (well from what I saw shop) on your laptop, and yes it's even "cool" to be homeless at the base of the Burnside bridge because you're mad at your parents "materialism"... but don't berate someone elses success, emulate it.

BTW I loved some of the road up on the mountain. Makes me wish I had my 360 out there every time I go.

Is it jealousy? Probably. Lack of opportunity? Maybe. I'm thinking high end areas have a different response Tigard perhaps? Maybe Lake Oswego..

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    BTW.. if anyone can send me a gallon of Salt and Straw Caramel and Sea Salt Vanilla Ice cream I would be sooooo appreciative.. :)

8. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Plenty of places in the west hills of Portland. We live 9 minutes from downtown. Beaverton (home of Nike) is also nearby. Have you checked out the practices in sports medicine? There's one my kids have gone to for broken bones, etc., several times that's located in the west hills. If not, don't be so sure that there is a "lack of opportunity." Just be prepared for 9 months of steady rain.

9. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    lol they opened one up on NW 23rd now!

Im not too concerned it was just odd that it was two incidents so close together, the other two incidents i chalked up to stupidity and jealousy. I usually only take the car out if im going to go for a long drive out of the city, however with the weather how it is i don't want to risk hitting black ice anywhere

10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    lol. My sis in-law wants us to move out. She's always campaigning. But.. as I look outside it's 72 degrees and blue sky. I drove my car every day for the last week. hmmmm.

Although I did check out prices in the Pearl. Not bad for a 2br condo.. $300ish.. I'd love to live up on the hill though, up in NW by the park.

THAT'S THE ONE! :) They apparently will ship anywhere next day! mmmmmm!

11. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    I have received only smiles and thumbs up driving the Mondial Cabriolet in Portland.
    I do not recall any negative comments, looks, or gestures.

The 400i is unknown to all but a few so it is largely considered an old black car.

What amazes me is the number of very nice cars tucked away in local garages that
    come out when the sun is shining in this area.

12. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    What I have come to see is there are a lot of people that are pissed off because of your success. They look at everyone who has more then themselves as getting a free ride, but are unwilling to put forth any effort to achieve. Keep in mind, the village idiot doesn't speak for the village.

13. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Hipsters.

Bah.

14. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    I get the thumbs up, camera phones, the yells to rev it or do a burn out all the time. Sometimes people get mad or annoyed when i don't rev it or do a burn out but i can't be breaking the law all the time!

Its just the negatives have popped up a little more than usual lately.

15. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    Ah yes hipsters.....people who pay to look disheveled and homeless yet some are still supported by their parents or my favorite jump into their bmw when they leave whatever eastside bar that they discovered that week.

16. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    I lived in Seattle a long time.

Once I had my Gold 330GT parked in my garage with the garage door open while I went in to the basement of the house to get some tools.
    When I came back, a small rear section of the car had been 'keyed'.

I have been very happy to no longer live there.

I'll post a photo of my new garage if anyone whats to see it.

17. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I've had my car in Portland twice. Never any bad luck and parked it outside at night with no issues. I did have one person pull up beside me and thank me for driving the car so the public could enjoy it. That was fun. But I too have a Mondial Cab. I think people see that as an older "hipster" Ferrari :D.

I think I even had a couple bicyclists wave. I think the newer cars tend to have a more strong response.

18. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    Sonny hows SE asia?? Forget where you ran off to! Is the 355 tucked away hidden and safe?

19. Apple Sauce

Apple Sauce Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2008
    Wide Open Throttle
    Full Name:
    Vic
    As the sign reads in midtown "Keep Portland Weird"

20. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Portlandia is what it is. Hipsters, weird, gay, hippie, bikes, protests.....

What about the culture of Portland would imply that expensive exotic cars would be WELCOME? :)

You don't hold a "Hetero Pride Parade" in the Castro District of SFO, and ya don't
    hold the local "F-Car Club Drive" in the Hollywood District, Pearl District, Belmont
    District, etc. of Portland.

But I LOVE Portland, and all it's eclectic weirdness.... it's a wonderful town in an
    awful lot of ways (I'm there very often)... but Exotic Car Friendly? Nah... not so much.

Jedi

21. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Actually, the Pearl is full of Ferraris, Maseratis, and Lambos.

I find the discussion of Mondials funny-- my Mondial got me more attention than any other Ferrari I've owned. It always seemed to be the most recognizable as a "Ferrari" of my cars. And most people thought it was fairly new (at least until they looked at the interior closely).

22. F355 Spider

F355 Spider Formula 3

Jun 21, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Sonny
    SE Asia is great bro... We live in Penang Malaysia.. Right on the ocean!! Amazing! We are actually in Vietnam on holiday... Cool place!! Things are going great over here though, i left sophia in the states sobthat sucks, but now were Getting ready for the F1 race in KL in a few months....

23. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Oh, there are a lot of "Exotics" outside of Scandals and the "Mark Spencer"....
    but they have nothing to do with cars....

:)

(NOTHING against either place - I always stay at the Spencer, and hang
    out at Scandals, after dinner at Jakes, kitty corner from Scandals)

But I've NEVER seen an "exotic car" in the Pearl in those areas, outside of
    PERSONAL exotics... figure out what that means on your own.

For the record... Scandals is a GREAT BAR in the early evening... yeah,
    gay as can be... but great service, nice staff, straight folk totally welcome.
    I like it... never had a bad experience there.

Jedi

24. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Umm... The Pearl is actually on the other side of Burnside. The area you are talking about has a name, but I will refrain from mentioning it...

25. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    #25 SCousineau, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017