Scud or McLaren | FerrariChat

Scud or McLaren

Discussion in '360/430' started by Lew L, Jan 27, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lew L

Lew L Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2006
    There are some 458 vs. McLaren threads. McLarens seem to be at a price point between a Scud and a 458. Has anyone that has (or has been looking for) a Scud thought about a McLaren? Anyone have experience with both that they could share?

2. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    #2 Art138, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A few months back a major exotic car dealership sponsored a McLaren event in which I was invited to. Started with a drive through Homestead and 3 rounds on the autocross. The instructor then took the wheel to really demonstrate the parameters of the car.

Observations: If you are a large person, the cabin is very confining; I love the room in the Scud. You have to overstep the hump everytime you get in. Control switches are in the center console,unlike the manetino. After the event, I went home and drove the Scud and to be perfectly honest I would take the Scud or 458. Here is a pic of the MP4C 3.8 turbo engine...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Apples and oranges.

Scud raw, Mac technological.

Both outstanding for what they stand for.

That pretty much sums it up.

4. Zxgarage

Zxgarage Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2011
    MD/ DC area
    Full Name:
    Zack
    ... Keeping the scud.

5. DrDon

DrDon F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 11, 2012
    Infractionville
    Full Name:
    Armando Decredenza
    What is it with British vehicle cockpit designs?

Lotus is the same way. Big sill, sit on the ground and climb up into the very small restrictive space they leave you for piloting. Forget about getting in or out of one in a parking garage with cars on each side.

One reason I didn't buy an Evora - that and I didn't want a car assembled from a Toyota parts bin.

6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It's because of the CF tub design. Life is a series of compromises.

I think one of the biggest annoying complaints is the electric door openers (they have a button now also) and having to "slam" the doors shut, which some say can be cured by careful adjustments of the mechanism. But, the car seems pretty reliable overall.

7. mattfwalters

mattfwalters Rookie

Jan 25, 2013
    If you're seriously considering both, go to Vegas and drive them at the Speedway with Exotics Racing. I drove the 458, 430 Scud and MP4-12C back-to-back (along with a few others) and walked away completely head-over-heels in love with the Scud. It's obviously not the same as owning one, etc so take this with a grain of salt. But the Scud sounds and feels pretty much exactly like I'd always hoped a Ferrari would. It made me giggle like a schoolgirl. :)

8. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I have both, and like someone has mentioned already apples vs oranges.

But if the choice is between a 458 and MP4 I would go with the 458. Too lazy to type another detailed reply on the topic of the MP4...posted like a dozen times already.

In short, MP4 is more daily drive able than a scud. More inconspicuous; most folks don't even know what they're looking at until you open the doors & they're like oh, it's not your run-of-the-mill Honda. Funniest remark when asked what it is = It's a McLaren MP4. Ohhhh it plays mp4s, that's nice! It boogies on a straight line. Has cost me a minor lawsuit (door swung up & hit a lady's face in Taiwan). Rear air brake = great passing opportunity for anyone behind you because when its up you can't see sh!et. Get the sport exhaust, because you wont hear a thing with non-sport.

Great piece of engineering, needs more passion. Formerly an R8 owner so to me it's like a faster R8 with slightly better gt-like creature comforts.

9. djkling

djkling Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2012
    Newfields, NH
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    After my Elise I can't buy another car with a Big door sil, was so uncomfortable.
    But admittedly I'd buy either, the 12 is great, scud I think looks better and is much more raw.

A friend who has a McLaren is sick of people calling his car a Ferrari and when he tells them it's a McLaren they go "what's that?"

One person heard McLaren and asked if that's who made the back to the future car.... He hasn't lived that down yet

10. Lew L

Lew L Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2006
    Great responses. I think it's a Scud for me. Might be selling my Kirkham 427, so will need a raw visceral ride.

11. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I do not think you will regret your decision......

12. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I was at a car show last summer, there was a 355 and a MP4 there, for exotic cars. The MP4 won the "other" car catagory and the judge called it a Lamborghini haha. The owner was very upset.

13. Hkpooh

Hkpooh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2011
    hahahahhahha

14. Supreme360Swag

Supreme360Swag Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2011
    Peninsula bay area
    Full Name:
    Allan
    That's too funny

I'm not a big fan of the mp4 at all. It's really impressive if you're talking performance but I think it's priced really high for the type of car that it is. IMO it should be 150k msrp range. If you're after performance save some money and buy the gtr.

15. thoang

thoang Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 12, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tuan Hoang
    Fixed it for ya. :D

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You could not find two cars on this planet with a different design and engineering philosophy than McLaren and Corvette.

17. thoang

thoang Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 12, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tuan Hoang
    True, the Vette has a manual gear box. One of these days, I'm gonna get a Vette.

18. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Don't know what Mac prices are doing stateside, but euro cars have tanked, some have lost £65k so far. Shame really, because with all the free updates, IRIS and badge exclusivity it deserves better. I love the 458, but if I were to be in the lucky position to be choosing, I'd take the Mac......

19. D16RR

D16RR Karting

Nov 4, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Drew
    I recently drove a MP4 to see what it was all about. Technologically it is a great car...it inspires with tons of grip. The computers are doing great things for that car.

But to be honest with you...when driving my Scud, it screams that it is something different and must be respected when you drive it. Pure and Raw...it feels like it will shred you if you dont treat it properly...all emotion when you drive it.

Kind of like CD's versus Records? Digital versus Analog?

All in all, to me, the Scud has great personality and a tremendous soul...

The MP4 felt synthetic to me...very digital and almost disconnected from the drive...

I will tell you this...I do think the MP4 is a very cool car, but it is something all together different than the SCUD. I think the MP4 seems very different that the 458 also. The 458 feels like a more refined version of the SCUD to me...loses some of the rawness but makes up with some civility. (But you know you are still driving a Ferrari)

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, a manual box with computer controlled rev matching and throttle blipping...

21. Sales@CNCMOTORS

Sales@CNCMOTORS Formula 3

Aug 10, 2011
    Upland, California
    Full Name:
    Ira
    I think the Scud will hold value better, Mac market is interesting......

22. Sales@CNCMOTORS

Sales@CNCMOTORS Formula 3

Aug 10, 2011
    Upland, California
    Full Name:
    Ira
  23. duc1098

duc1098 Rookie

Jan 6, 2013
    Massachusettes
    Full Name:
    Jon
    i have run both around a track and within 1 lap the quarter panel lights where falling out, plus the door opening sensors are terrible, i feel like I'm "pleasuring" the car rather then opening the door (mclaren) Also i dont like the how big the door kick is and the tight space inside once the door is closed! Also they are two different animals!!!! Ones a tiger (scud) the other is an mongoose (mp4-12c). In a tiger, experience is everything and a learning curve with so much self satisfaction on driving a street legal race car. In the mongoose everything is programmed (Mclaren)!! thumbs up on computers but thumbs down for taking the easy way out! Me personally opinion I would rather feel the raw racecar rather than computers doing it for me!!!!!!

24. cridom60

cridom60 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2007
    France
    Full Name:
    dominique
    And what about a Novitec 740 hp scuderia? one is for sale in germany, could be a real street devaster, even compare to an mp4 or a 458!

25. jacinto jardine

jacinto jardine Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2011
    australia
    Full Name:
    Fly 458
    A friend of mine had a Scud, the bit about it feels "raw" is spot on, the sound and edginess made the car feel alive, you felt alive when you drove it.
    Pure Ferrari to sum it up.

I found the 12c suppressed some of that emotion on the demo drive, technically outstanding and very quick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD