Power steering on Daytona: yes or no | FerrariChat

Power steering on Daytona: yes or no

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Oodalls, Feb 13, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oodalls

Oodalls Rookie

Sep 1, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    James
    I'm contemplating fitting power steering to my Daytona after a recent accident with my arm. I'd be keen to hear any owners experiences/advice on fitting it

Thanks

2. StephenB

StephenB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2007
    S Florida
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bruno
    I too am considering the same thing and would also appreciate the advice...

3. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    This is a decisive issue on here :)

I'm in the yes camp, I have the hydraulic unit from a 400 unit installed in my Berlinetta, and my Dad has the EZ electric system on his Spyder conversion.

I've not driven the Spyder yet but I much prefer driving my car with PAS it takes the hard work out of manovering out of the garage and at sensible speeds the steering feel is fine. I suspect the steering would get light at three figure speeds but how often do you venture into those in a Daytona these days anyway?

The EZ systems is probably the route to go down now for ease of installation (it wasn't available when mine was installed) but you may have to adjust the camber a little bit to ensure the wheel self centres properly.

There's bound to be some comments about not being a real man needing power steering but I don't care what others think it's my car and I love the way it is setup.

4. Oodalls

Oodalls Rookie

Sep 1, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks for that info
    My hand could be forced on the issue but if its between PAS and a bone snapping, I have to be practical

5. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    This has been bandied about for awhile now, with the predictable result that there's plenty of controversy! These cars are really loathsome at low speeds and when parking, and PS sure would be nice, but there's always concerns about originality and "character". I think the hydraulic system off a C4 would be my last choice, and the EZ Power Steering (electric) my first. I've yet to do anything, tho' it's been on my mind since I got my car. Someone on the list (maybe from Australia or NZ ??) wrote about this within the past several months. They were very happy with the EZ system, and it wasn't too hard to install. Let us know what you decide and how you like it. Steering this car with a bum arm could be tough. I couldn't enclose the PDF of the instructions for the electric system, but you can email me privately and I can send them, or get in touch with the vendor. I hope you'll use it 'cause I get a $500 kickback for every unit sold. (yeah, right!)

steve meltzer “I may be wrong, but I’m never in doubt”

6. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    I have taken some time to write the first few words here. They were going down the line of "good idea" and why dont you also rip out the engine and put a chevy in there, alter the suspension and put mags on it.
    Maybe over the top...ok. But I believe that if you dont like the car as it was originally then choose another Ferrari. Hell, I used to own a Daytona and part of the car was the way it drove. Wrestling the thing at slow speeds (not really that difficult) was part of its charm. Otherwise what is the point. I could just buy a Honda Civic, if I am going to change its character.
    Just my opinion.

7. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I fitted the EZ electric PAS a month or so ago and I am very happy with it. Unlike the hydraulic PAS in a C4, it doesn't rob the car of steering feel. There is a tiny moment when you start a turn while the computer wakes up, which creates a slight "over center" feeling, but I quickly adjusted to this and it disapears at speed as the assistance reduces.

I did a run along a twisty 50-80mph road recently, the car was marvelous, the assistance perfectly judged.

The other point is that it's easily reversable, would take no more than an hour to remove the EZ unit and refit the original steering column.

PM me for more detail on the installation process.

8. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    The EZ system reduces effort considerably, but it still has a heft to it and remains heavier than C4 steering. You don't forget that you're driving a Daytona!

9. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    hmmm....see what I mean by controversial!
    steve meltzer “I may be wrong, but I’m never in doubt”

10. John Se

John Se Karting

Mar 15, 2005
    Scottsdañe
    In 1970, America was filled with wide open spaces, cities werent as congested, parking lots were designed for the behemouths generally driven, (think 1970 Ford LTD).

Now because of the world we live in, if you want to improve the enjoyment of these cars power steering is pretty nice to have. It will make the car easier to use for a regular Saturday afternoon when you might wish to stop at a store, get a cup of coffee or go on a few errands.

We were also used to many more non power steering cars in the old days, and you knew subconsciously that you had to be moving to move the steering wheel. Thats kind of been lost from years with our daily drivers.

11. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    over the top but point made. for me i take the view that it is my car and i will do whatever i want to it to maximise my enjoyment. some cars i keep deadstock, others i modify. my daytona has ap racing front brakes and i would not consider stock for a moment. my stock brakes are in bubble wrap and were last on the car for classiche. i like the heavy manual steering but would not hesitate to change it if i did not

12. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I'm restoring a car at the moment and I want to make it as original in appearance as possible. However, I am installing (gasp!) three point seat belts (the car came with no seat belts originally). Should I be sentenced to damnation for it? I don't think so. It is a concession to the real world.

I say modify the car if that is what you need to do to enjoy it safely. The only concession I might make is to try to keep the mods relatively easily reversible, but if that is not an option, screw it. It's your car and you need to do what you need to do. Theoretical purists be damned. I'd be surprised if they even own a Daytona, so it's easy for them to criticize.

13. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Completely agree. Mods are reversible. Even chopped cars get unchopped. Easily is a relative term and function of the value of the car.

I had a heavily modified 993RS that I was absolutely happy with. Close friend wanted it badly so I sold it to him. Replaced it with a dead stock car that is inferior in every way. But enjoying the in period feel. Preferences evolve I guess

14. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The OP has experienced a physical disability and wants to continue to enjoy his Daytona. I do not consider this hacking a car to modify it but rather making it accessible to be enjoyed by its owner. By all means add the power steering.

In Toronto Canada there was a Countach LP400 owner that was paraplegic and had hand controls fitted to his car (around the time it was new) so that he could experience the car first hand. It is my opinion that modifications like this fall outside the normal discussions of modifying and personalizing of cars.

15. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Alberto, I agree with you that seat belts are a primary safety feature. But then people will argue that many things are safety features. Depends on your view also.

16. 330GTMK2

330GTMK2 Rookie

Jan 16, 2013
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Edward Brown
    James, our Daytona coupe #16635 (FerrariRegistry.net - Registry) was fitted with the power steering pump from a C4 in 1979, by the late David Clarke at Graypaul, following a request from the cars then owner, Sir Anthony Bamford. With 9in wheels all round, the pump works well, giving good "feel" through the steering wheel, without being over soft....answer YES

Ed

17. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The whole point of these cars is to enjoy driving them so if the steering is an impediment to enjoying it, there shouldn't be a question or the slightest guilt about making the change since it is entirely reversible. If it wasn't reversible, then maybe it would require more thought. It would be interesting to know how many Daytonas had PS mod reversed after installing it (seems like it would be zero).

18. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    I don't want to hijack this thread Ed,but can you tell me the Bamford story and are the family still involved in Ferrari ownership.
    This enquiry came about from a discussion with a JCB owning friend of mine,yesterday.
    Mods,I don't mind if this is moved to a seperate thread.

19. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    In terms of Ferrari ownership the Bamford family are still very much involved. Anthony Bamford owns a 2 250GTO's a Series 1 and Series 2 although I don't have the chassis numbers to hand. There are also several other sports racing Ferraris owned by the Bamford's that are regualarly seen at the Goodwood Revival.

If you have seen the Ferrari Victory by design the Daytona and 412P sections are at Bamford's private test track.

20. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Thanx,I've seen the GTO's at GW in '10.
    The discussion with my friend was re the,still or otherwise,ownership of JCB company,by the family and the reliability of said machines in our environment down here!
    As I said,didn't want to hijack,so I'll nick off.:)

21. ital351

ital351 Rookie

Oct 18, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    David
    Taking some caster out will make it easier to turn, but you may have to unsteer it a little bit more when you un-turn...

22. islerodreaming

islerodreaming Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Full Name:
    John - a proud Australian man
    The OP has a bung arm! A reversible EZ power steering kit will allow him to enjoy the car rather than laying it up or selling it. This isn't about being lazy!

23. Vintage47

Vintage47 Karting

Oct 16, 2005
    Did some Daytonas come with factory installed power steering?
    The parts book for the 365 GT 2+2 shows a ZF power steering unit.

24. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #24 El Wayne, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
    No Power Steering:
    365 GTC
    365 GTS
    365 GTB/4
    365 GT(B/S)/4 Spyder

Power Steering:
    365 GT 2+2
    365 GTC/4
    365 GT4 2+2

25. Oodalls

Oodalls Rookie

Sep 1, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks all for your responses
    Fingers crossed my arm mends properly and no mod will be needed but if not, some great advice.

I'll keep the thread posted on my decision in the future