RB: First woman in their junior program | FerrariChat

RB: First woman in their junior program

Discussion in 'F1' started by Far Out, Apr 9, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    #1 Far Out, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    18 year old Beitske Visser from the Netherlands will be the first female driver in RB's F1 recruiting program.

(They could at least have given her matching shoes and gloves - chauvinist pigs!)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Cool! Good luck

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    publicity stunt and nothing more. She's pretty quick but nothing special. A third of the winners points in the ADAC formel cup (albeit 2 wins).

Good luck to her in any racing she'll participate in but I seriously doubt anything to do with actual F1 racing. Tin tops is where some girls can be much more successful in. Harsh reality.

4. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #4 kraftwerk, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    There are some decent female fighter pilots out there if you can handle a fighter jet at full tilt you can driver F1, and let's not forget the G-force queen Patti Wagstaff. They can handle the physical demands. We just have yet to see a female cut it at the sharp end of the various grids out there, it's dog eat dog.

6. cntchds

cntchds Formula 3

Oct 22, 2005
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Peter Hatch
    I've always kind of wondered if women were not in F1 due to lack of skill or discrimination. I'm sure seeing a woman on the grid would cause quite a stir, but I would hope that top teams would be big enough to hire based on merit and not just for the publicity... I'm sure sponsors would be lining up, though.

7. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Put her in SV's car this weekend!!!!

8. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    if you think about how many women actually pursue a career in racing, and then those that are good enough to make it in f1 it's gotta be a very rare breed. I can't think of too many guys i knew who were young that did not want to be a race car driver at least at some point in their life. I'd imagine nearly any heterosexual male dreams about it at least once.

9. cntchds

cntchds Formula 3

Oct 22, 2005
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Peter Hatch
    Very true. Not too many girls at the go-kart tracks.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I know, I know...it's a sexist joke but--

Susie WOOF!

Seriously though, I hope she's good enough to make it.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, since the last one drove into a steel plate ramp....:rolleyes:

Best wishes to her......it might be a wee bit soon, to wear that smirk.

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They ARE matching..look closer....

I don't "get it"....but the shoes and gloves are a set.

13. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Wooosh.... :)

14. numisrx

numisrx Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 4, 2007
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    So she knows which one goes on which foot? But the gloves are backwards... Maybe it's a test.

15. Darkhorse575

Darkhorse575 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    DJ
    It may be an Alex Wurz style superstition for good luck.

16. Tomax

Tomax Karting

Apr 27, 2004
    ...wow

Not one post pointing out how these female drivers are undoubtedly more talented than most of us (as I assume there are some ex-F1 pilots here and we know we have some Indycar drivers - who are the only ones on the same plane here and duke it out on the track)

So you can win two races and not have talent in an open wheeler series? Really? These are people chasing a dream and beating the odds. They get my support, admiration and respect.

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Who says she doesn't have talent?

18. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Publicity stunts, all of em

19. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    Yes, but can she parallel park?

20. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't know about that. Susie didn't do terribly well in DTM last year, usually nearer the back of the grid than the front, but she clearly earned the seat. She had a couple of races where she started at the rear due to a nasty qualy, and moved steadily forward through the ranks. She showed a lot of skill and race craft that could make her a very good development driver. Does she get a race seat? Remains to be seen.

21. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    That's fine, but this is the big leagues. Whenever a woman driver comes along (besides for maybe Michele Mouton) there are always a bevy of excuses and concessions. For instance, Danica has been "learning the ropes" of Nascar for like 2 years now. Sooner or later you have to produce the goods.

Race seat? Lol, no chance. DTM is where F1 drivers go when they're has-beens, not the other way around. This is all PR/marketing...money hungry teams like Williams haven't been blind to the amount of press/sponsorship that Danica pulls in. So put this chick in the car as a "test driver," enough to drag in some sponsors and positive PR but not enough to risk anything worthwhile by having her actually race the car. Perfect.

I would say Red Bull knows a thing or two about marketing. They're just getting theirs...nothing more, nothing less.

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Susie has been racing in DTM for years and never accomplished anything noteworthy. I used to watch DTM a lot and barely remember her scoring points. I looked it up. 4 points since 2006.

Publicity.

Announcing that she's development driver and letting her do some straight line tests (anyone with some experience can do this) is a very cheap way for them to get some publicity and hopefully some sponsorship. Much more effective/cheaper than hiring lets say Kovalainen (since he's joined the line at the job centre).

23. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Fair enough. I guess I am being overly generous about her abilities.

That said, all the best to both of them. If they can provide the development / test driver results the team needs, provide a bit of publicity, and maybe encourage some talented young girls to pursue driving more than they might have, then good all around.

24. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Uh, F1 is entertainment first, competition second. If fans aren't entertained, then no sponsorship dollars, ticket sales, etc. The novelty of a woman will be enough without world champ talent.

25. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    It's inevitable that we will see a woman in F1 sooner or later.