Is a red Ferrari more desired? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is a red Ferrari more desired?

Discussion in '360/430' started by aonee, Jun 6, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jehu999

jehu999 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Coastal Central Fl
    Full Name:
    James
    I was one of those who thought that my first Ferrrari had to be red but after going to several car shows I decided differently. Red was the belly button color. The other, non red cars, were more noticable. I got a Med. Blue car and have had so many compliments about the color and the fact that it wasn't red. Red seems to be The Ferrari color but I think it is because of the race car colors. I wouldn't pay more for it. On the other hand I think black suppresses the beautiful lines of the car.

2. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Mine too

3. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #28 Kevin Rev'n, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    for MOST people Red cars deserve a premium.

I paid extra for NOT RED one.

5. RWebber

RWebber Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2013
    Grasslands, USA
    Full Name:
    R Webber
    #30 RWebber, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    Looks like even more price reduction on the 16M
    There has been a Black/Black 16M that sits at Ferrari Seattle which has declined from $279k, $269k, $239k, to $229k and still no sale

....Edited to chg "1" to "2"

6. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    You must mean $229 K for a 16M, ?..

7. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I desperately wanted red, but only 1 black 360 for sale at the time in our small country.
    I got my head around it and grabbed it.
    Put it next to a red one now and I will stick with black thanks.
    Red is more flashy and probably gets more attention but black has a certain mean look. To me.

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Every F salesmen I've ever talked to says that red cars sell quicker than any other color. However, there are more Red cars out there to pick from so it tends to even out.

Red cars tend to be more heavily attracted to first time buyers.

What I think matters more though is color combo. Red/tan or Red/black would sell a lot faster than Red/blue. If it sells more slowly, then the price has to come down to drive up interest to get someone to switch from red/tan.

9. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #34 Ingenere, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    Red is definitely the color for beginners. When I hear, "It's gotta be red/tan"!, I know I've got a guy that has never owned a Ferrari before.

I think we all went through it. After God knows how many of these things I've had, my CS HAD to NOT be red, and NOT have a stripe.

10. jehu999

jehu999 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Coastal Central Fl
    Full Name:
    James
    What he said.

11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    "Red" is part of "desi-red"!

12. ace355

ace355 Formula Junior

May 23, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've never owned a red Ferrari. I don't particularly like joining the crowd, I rather be a little different. I don't dislike red Ferraris, I just wouldn't buy one. I have other red cars, so it isn't a red issue. Red also looks better on smaller cars like the V8s, not on the V12s. I have not noticed a premium or discount for colors. Cars sell on their condition and service history.

Red does not make a Ferrari...it is what's under the red that does.

13. bolex

bolex Karting

Feb 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #38 bolex, Jun 7, 2013
    I am the opposite of most Ferrari guys. I wanted a black/black (only) 328 GTB. I waited, and waited, and waited, until a good one came to market. I could have purchased and sold 10 good red/tan cars in the time it took me to get a good car that I wanted. I have nothing against red/tan, heck, every car on the wall in my childhood room at my parent's house is red/tan. Most of us lusted after our first Ferrari that was red. I love black sports cars.

I think the whole "resale red" is probably true but there are so many damn red cars that you can find a red one any day of any year. 80% (4/5) of the cars on eBay are red (328) right now.

To say that your first Ferrari (or second, third) needs to be red is ridiculous. Why don't we all get red/tan cars, wear black faced, stainless Submariners, and have our bleached blonde wife with a round diamond engagement ring ride shotgun. I am glad that there are less non-red cars around so guys like me stand out. I don't want what everyone else has. I don't care about resale. Most of the ridiculous, low mile cars I see are "resale red." Drive your freakin car instead looking at it. Look at any picture of any Ferrari event and the mile of red cars is always broken up by an off-color car. I love it.

My next Ferrari will likely not be black. I have nothing against red. I LOVE the looks of blue/tan, red/tan, grigio/tan. But my favorite color for any car is black/black. Sue me, I am not a purist. My car will sell for a lot less than the red/tan equal that has sat in a garage with the owner knowing about the pitch of the threads of each screw in the car. I will never sell my car, but if I do, there will be a person like me who snatches it up sight unseen because cars like mine are never for sale.

Or this person could always get his/her Ferrari fix in the mean time with the plethora of red/tan cars of each model that are for sale in every state, every day.

For the record, there are very few Ferraris that I do not like, regardless of color.

I am done ranting. I now will go sit in my black car, with my Breitling watch, with my wife who has a cushion cut diamond ring.

PS: if you think that black cars do not show the lines then get your head checked.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1721405&stc=1&d=1370586835
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. JWD355

JWD355 Karting

Dec 28, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Jordy
    #39 JWD355, Jun 7, 2013
    Yes it's my first Ferrari, yes it had to be red/tan, yes I wanted to have the stripes and oh yes 99% chance my next one will be Rosso Corsa again.

P.s. Red/Tan isn't exactly a Europe thing, see below :)

15. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Nice picture, thanks for sharing!

In the end, color is, as we all know, subjective. Yes, there are lots of red/tan cars for sale. Why? Because they are highly sought after, and the factory made them that way as people ordered them. I'm willing to wager a LARGE portion of repeat Ferrari people also buy red/tan.

I do like the advice that you should buy what you like. I'm coming to grips with this - I've always outwardly said it to be true, but it's a little different when you're actually in those shoes. Specifically, I've bought my car to be enjoyed by ME, and not by the NEXT guy in line. She just rolled into 20k miles. So what, right? Irrelevant right now to me. Maybe someday, but today, it is to be celebrated rather than feared.

Because there are a large number of red/tan cars for sale, I'm willing to believe that this probably helps the "price premium" factor in check. They probably sell quicker, as has been stated. But, whether or not they actually sell for more money (as opposed to the sellers ASKING for more money) would be a little harder to prove. Still, I'm of the opinion that a well kept, well documented red/tan car will be an easy sell and, perhaps if the market conditions are right, it might sell at a slight premium.

16. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    To me, the greatest luxury is to (A) buy the color combination you like (B) without consideration of the prospects of resale. I have never bought a car with any thought to how easy it would be to "unload" it on someone else in the future. Unless you're attempting to serially flip Ferraris in an effort to move up the "food chain," concentrating on buying only the cars with the easiest resale seems like a waste of time. I like what I like, and I like something a bit out of the ordinary. Where my F430 Spider is concerned, I bought a TDF car with Cuoio Naturale/Blu Scuro interior. I'm very happy with it, and have no intention of sellling it anytime soon. To each his own, when it's all said and done! Fred

17. bjm

bjm Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Fairfield County, CT
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #42 bjm, Jun 7, 2013
    Totally agree with Fred. Red /Tan is so cliched ;)

Personally I think TDF is one of the most stunning colors on a Ferrari, like on my CS below :)

______________________________________________________________________________

18. wahoo5

wahoo5 Karting

Nov 9, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    #43 wahoo5, Jun 7, 2013
  19. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
  20. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Brian and David: Two gorgeous blue coupes! Edward: Fantastic pearl white spider! Is that Bianco Fuji? Fred

21. alxforschnr

alxforschnr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2012
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Alx
    RESALE RED!

22. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    my first ferrari had to be either red or yellow (if the price was right), as red was the preferred color of the two and really the one I wanted. Now that I have red I doubt I will ever buy another color again for a Ferrari. I think if I had 5 Ferrari's they would all be red. Ok one might be yellow but that's it. Rosso corsa is just so perfect for Ferrari.

sidenote: on Lambo I prefer Orange, Yellow, Blue in that order.

23. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    my 458 spider is black with a red interior.
    my first two ferraris were black as well.
    once you go black,......

24. jehu999

jehu999 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Coastal Central Fl
    Full Name:
    James
    PS: if you think that black cars do not show the lines then get your head checked.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1721405&stc=1&d=1370586835[/QUOTE]

Really? Get my head checked? A little sensitive aren't we? If you were my wife you might say that but my head is fine and so are my eyes (which btw I get paid fairly well for evaluating colors and patterns). I was wondering if some sensitive person would get offended. No offense intended, merely stating what I believe to be true that black in general can diminish some features (that's why some people like black clothes). I think many black cars look absolutely beautiful/bad @ss. I would love a Ferrari in any color even a baby sh*t colored one. Relax and enjoy your beautiful car. Nice pic btw.

NoKidsNeedFerrari likes this.
  25. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    +1

oh and btw.. being black does make it difficult to see the right upper air scoop. I'm going to get my head checked now. ;) and yes.. at c+c when I park my red 360 next to my friends black one.. two to 1 people check out my red car. Over his. It's ferrari red for a reason, get over it. ;)

NoKidsNeedFerrari likes this.