Intermittent power loss and backfiring | FerrariChat

Intermittent power loss and backfiring

Discussion in '308/328' started by uberlink, Jun 11, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    So I'm driving the 308 the other night. As I decelerate to a light, suddenly it feels like the engine is struggling to stay running -- RPMs drop then bounce back up a few times followed by a series of backfires. Just before this happened, I noticed a slight change in the exhaust note. The usual burble became somehow more 'boomy.' Hard to describe. Then it basically runs normally again for the rest of the drive. Next drive is fine.

This morning, on my way to work, it does it all again. This time the RPM counter really pops up and down. When I disengage the clutch, the engine dies altogether. When I reengage the clutch and give it a little gas, it jumps back to life with a series of backfires and bouncing RPMs before it finally smooths out. I drive home, switch to my Audi, and head to work.

What do you think might be up? I'm no mechanic, but I'm wondering if I'm having some kind of intermittent problem with the ignition. Other suggested diagnoses? Cures?

2. stacy

stacy Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    halifax
    Whenever this has happened to
    Me it has been a fouled spark plug or water around one of the plugs from washing the car or a problem with one of the spark plug extenders.

Fouled plug less likely with injected car i would think

3. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    +1 on extenders. Pull the rear bank first and check the resistances. Very easy check to do.

4. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    Agree with checking the extenders first.

Have you had any issues with your battery holding charge after sitting for a period of time? (assuming you do not have it connected to a battery tender) If so, check your alternator. I found out the hard way that a failing alternator can produce similar symptoms to failed extenders.

Good luck

5. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Which car do you have?

QV? i? or carbed?

PDG

6. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Sounds to me like a bank was dropping out.
    Did the SLOWDOWN lamps light?
    check the usual suspects: wires, cap (oil in it?) , rotor, coil, etc.

7. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Could be a ground issue of one of the MED801A Digiplex ignition units, a defective TDC or RPM sensor or a broken coil wiring or coil. The RPM counter wouldnt start to jump if there was a problem with the extenders as the RPM counter signal is generated by the Digiplex out of the TDC and RPM sensor signals.

The backfiring as you describe it sounds more like an intermittent bank failure than a single cylinder failure which usually slows down the engine but does not necessarily end up in a series of backfires while driving. So this would also indicate a temporary failure of one of the Digiplex units.

First thing to do would be to check and clean the Digiplex ground wiring/terminals, coil wiring/contacts, and inspect the king lead and distributor cap. If you can then borrow a known to be good MED801A and try it in place of your existing MED801A units (one after another) you should be able to easily find out if one of the MED801A Digiplex is broken.

good luck,
    Adrian

8. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    It's a 1980 gtsi. So 2v injected.

9. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    New spark plug wires fixed this on my 328.

10. bentrm

bentrm Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    My 83 QV did this when I first got it. It was a loose digiplex connector.

11. Euro Quattro

Euro Quattro Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Kent
    Check the fuel pump fuse, mine did the same thing & all it was is the fuse. I went to pull it out & it fell apart in my hand. Under one dollar fixed my issue on my 83 QV

12. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    2NA sorted me out. He diagnosed it as deteriorated distributor rotors. He replaced those and also cleaned up contacts, checked wires, etc. She's back running strong again.

While he was in there, he replaced the little thermal switch on the coolant expansion tank, and that seems to have improved the persistent high idle I used to have once the car warmed up. It's now idling warm around 1500 RPM, which is a lot more comfortable than the 2500 RPM it used to sit at.

Thanks, 2NA!

13. bentrm

bentrm Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Cool! Sweet relief.