Hate to be vague, but something is not quite right. | FerrariChat

Hate to be vague, but something is not quite right.

Discussion in '308/328' started by ndnguyen, Jun 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ndnguyen

ndnguyen Karting

Jul 27, 2005
    I have this 1986 328 for about 20 years. Since the last belt change (about 5 years ago), the car hasn't been driven much, at best about 3-5 times per year. The last 2 years had been especially bad, essentially about once a month, the car was started up, idled until water reach operating temp (about 190F) then shut down.

This last 2-3 weeks, I've tried to drive the car, but I think something is not quite right. At idle the car sounds like a diesel engine, especially when it is cold. It sounds a bit better at operating temp. However it still doesn't have that purring sound as I remembered. When driving with the engine is not fully warm-up, if I step on it, there is a noticeable lag, then the acceleration kicked in. The effect is exactly like if the car has a turbo charge. If the engine is fully warm-up, then it seems ok. Usually, the car only makes an intoxicating bubbly/rumble sound when it is being accelerated, then I let go of the accelerator and let the engine does the braking. Now occasionally, I can hear a "lesser" (quieter) version of this bubbly/rumble sound when the car is being accelerated gently.

After a fresh oil change and two tanks of fuel, it still doesn’t behave "normally". I think there is something wrong but I don't know what or where.

Many thanks for any thought, have a great July 4th.

Nguyen

2. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Sounds like your 328 could do with a trip to the shop.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You need more than an oil change. The inactivity of 5 years has caused quite a bit of atrophy for the car.

Change the plugs, oil filter, air filter, coolant, fuel and fuel filter
    I would not drive very far without also changing the brake fluid
    Charge the battery fully, and do a compression check to see if the engine is healthy
    If it were my car, I would also change the timing belts and tensioner immediately and not drive it at all, but that is just me.

4. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Check plug extenders.

5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    FUEL - How long was the gas in there before you put fresh fuel in? Current gas is total cr@p as far as longevity is concerned and it will cause real problems in fuel systems if it sits with no stabilizer added. I just got done working on a friend's motorcycle which had been sitting for 4 months (no stabilizer) and all the moving parts that the fuel was in contact with (float needles, etc) were seized solid and all jets totally plugged. It took three days soaking in carburetor cleaner to get the crud loosened and then all the jets/passages had to be probed to get the stuff out. If any part of the system has been plugged, new fuel will not dissolve any of the gunk. So adding fresh gas won't "fix" this issue if it has occurred.

So there could be an issue with plugged injectors or other fuel-deliverycomponents.

OR

A vacuum leak could cause some of the symptoms you describe.

The next thing I would look at would be ignition-related; wires, extenders, etc.

The rest of the general maintenance type stuff - changing oil/filters/belts/brake fluid, etc are not related to the problem though it would certainly be a good thing to do.

6. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    +1 for FUEL

Ask me how I know, my 86 328GTS garage story is VERY similar. Fuel goes off !! Just because you can start/run it doesn't mean your CIS is good. Take a look at my tank sensor and remember I live in San Diego with great weather.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/410689-328-cis-what-causes.html

Good luck,
    Patrick

7. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Drain fuel...drive more...problem solved.

8. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Fuel, fuel, fuel old stale separated fuel. Lost a car with that issue. There will be water at the bottom of your fuel tanks no doubt.

9. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    OP says he's gone through two fresh tanks of fuel...

10. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    oops should have read more carefully. In that case the damage may have already been done on initial start-up sending water through the system. On my lost car it started great with the pressurized fuel from the pump to injectors. Then it died and I found cylinders full of water, ruined fuel filter, pump etc. The water collecting at the bottom of the tanks got sucked in first. Bye bye Jag XJ6. Change out plugs, filter and maybe pump?

11. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    My suggestions:
    Thorough check for deterioration of various vacuum, etc hoses. Some piece may have dried out and be causing a vacuum leak somewhere (or some other pressure/vacuum error related to CIS, which I choose to know nothing about!). Can be done for free in the garage.

More likely: Get a good fuel injection cleaning. Maybe you've been running strong fuel injector cleaner in those tanks of gas, but you've quite likely got some fuel varnish fouling your metering. In your situation, it may be worth going to a garage and having them use one of their fuel injection cleaning machines so they can do it more concentrated and quicker. I would.

Finally, you may need general CIS diagnosis to determine what part might be fouled.

12. ndnguyen

ndnguyen Karting

Jul 27, 2005
    Finally with the aid of a timing-light, I found the problem. Spark plug number 1 wire was flakey. I removed the wire again and retested it while twisting it every which way and saw the intermittent discontinuity. I made up quick&dirty replacement spark plug wire, installed it and she purred!

Nguyen

13. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    This is where my problem was with my 308. Was probably only running on six cylinders.

14. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Sounds to me like problems with the old gas as well. Even though you've run two fresh tanks through, the injectors could be fouled from the old gas sitting in them for so long. You might try running a couple of tanks with Techron injector cleaner added and see if that helps. Add the Techron when you fill up, and then go out and drive the car on the highway for an hour and see if that clears things up. I find that every spring I have to do that, even though I put gas stabilizer in before the winter. The Techron seems to do a good job getting the injectors working smoothly. It's an easy and cheap alternative to pulling the injectors and having them cleaned.

NAYYY, YMMV, all those caveats. Of course, rule out all the other stuff as discussed, like the plug extenders, wires, spark plugs, etc.