F355 GTS 1996 5.7 | FerrariChat

F355 GTS 1996 5.7

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Beetle, Jul 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Hello can anyone give advise on which code reader to purchase(brand name). I see a few on Amazon but thought best to get some answers before buying cheers Paul

2. MManzonelli

MManzonelli Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Columbia, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Manzonelli
    I have been using an Actron CP9145 for quite some time. I have used it on many cars including my 1997 Ferrari F355 Spider. It will read all the OBDII Generic codes and a few more Ferrari specific. There are much newer versions which may gave you some better features but I will not purchase one until mine no longer helps me diagnose my vehicles.

I know there are some Apps for Droid/iPhone/iPads that are free but you have to purchase cable. Actron has a new unit called U Scan which uses your smart phone with a wireless module you plug in to the OBD connector in the car. The App is free but the module is $80 on Amazon. I have not used it but I like the idea the App can be constantly updated.

I hope this helps.....

Mark

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    They all work fine. OBDII is standard that all cars must follow since 1996. Just be aware that up to 2005 or so, Ferraris were not compliant to the standard, and until your car has the recall performed, the code reader may not work. Confirm with your VIN at a local FNA dealer that all recalls have been performed on your car.

If you are "good to go" on the recall, then the reader you select is up to you. I bought a "ELM 327" scanner cord that connects to my laptop. Only $10 or so on Ebay, and you can use the freeware it comes with, or any number of free and "for purchase" software online. (for a bit more, you can get a cordless Bluetooth version to connect to your laptop). The laptop gives you a larger display than a handheld unit, which is nice. With ELM 327 scanner you can also read the outputs of the various sensors, as well as read and graph the O2 sensor outputs. I'm a hack and don't really understand all of that, but fun stuff to play with. It reads all the active and pending P codes, which is the primary purpose I bought it. And it works great with any other OBDII car I connect to, including my BMW.

4. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Thanks guys for the help