458 Speciale Revealed | Page 5 | FerrariChat

458 Speciale Revealed

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by robertop, Aug 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    like i said ferrari put the bar impossibly high with the design of the italia imho
    result (imho): cluttered and not an improvement imho
    the 360 CS and F430 scud and 16M: thats what I call improvement over standard!

2. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I like the front a lot. Wish the rear sides were a little more aggressive. Not just some little wings sticking out. But I like it more than the standard car. I also like the Scud a lot more.
    Can't wait to see more.

3. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    They call it the Ape Arse. It glows red when the car is ready to race.

4. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Styling wise I am unhappy. We are told that Pininfarina was involved but we don't know to what extent. We do know that the PF badge is not on the car but it is on the base 458 Italia and Spider. The PF badge is also found on the F430 Scuderia.

Now this is my opinion: Ferrari in house design has badly mangled the 458 in the Speciale version, adding some very large, abrupt, and disparate styling elements that do not lend themselves well to the underlying design.

5. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    +1 (imho)

6. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I tend to agree with this, although LaFerrari gets away with its being such an extreme statement because of its extreme nature. But the 458S is bizarre because the changes were grafted onto a superb basic design and most of them do not integrate well, creating visual discord.

7. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Agreed.

I love the new exhaust set-up... and I do like the wheels... the rest is meh.

I don't like the shape of the rear grille... I don't like what they did to the front bumper... I don't like the way they did the stripe.

8. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    .. and what happened to the 9300 rpm redline?
    at least it would have been neat to see the number nine in the tachometer colored grey instead of red..

9. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    The real question in my mind is, how much involvement will PF have in the next "clean-sheet" Ferrari design, after the 458's immediate replacement? If the Ferrari-Pininfarina relationship has worked so well for 60+ years, why tamper with it now? You risk ending up with the proverbial "camel, a horse designed by committee." Fred

10. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    Dry weight is down from 1380 to 1290. Thats 90 kilos or 198 pounds. That is pretty significant if it is true.

11. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I don't like the new interior design at all:

I think grafting the LaFerrari center console "twig" bridge to the 458 is a bad choice. Not only does it not belong in the 458 from a design standpoint but even worse it cheapens the one in the LaFerrari too.

Next, they delete the dash insert on the passenger side of the car for a very organic rounded knee pad which again has nothing to do with the rest of the interior design language of the 458. This is both clumsy and unattractive IMO.

Exterior Design:

I am not sure I like the "cute" winglets on the rocker panels and front bumper either. And the redesigned rear, eliminating the oblique angles results in a car that looks less exotic.

I have got to say that most of the design work is not exciting to my eye.

12. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    With the 360 there was also little room for improvement but they managed to tweak it nicely with the CS. Still think the 360 is a good design by itself. The F430 was so terrible IMO (and hindsight) that the Scud came as a nice relief, not a masterpiece, though. Now... lets wait a little but I tend to agree that the 458 design is so good that it's almost impossible to improve, hence the Speciale "fiasco".

For what it's worth the front seems to me more overdone the more I look at it :(

13. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
  14. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    IMO The stripe is distracting especially over the air extractor
    Think it would look better with a bi color option in lieu of the stripe Any thought out there?

15. ferr9000

ferr9000 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2013
    Full Name:
    SFF
    Nice comparison pics.

Ferrari puts all his effort on the performance and number i guess,risking some look.

16. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    the CS is the simplest and most elegant. Timeless.

the 458S is the meanest. Will be hard to clean with all those little vents and crannies.

17. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Definite +1. The 458S looks like a committee did it.

18. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I still think the best one is the Challenge Stradale. From a performance standpoint this one is clearly better, but I fear the days of beautiful Ferraris are over.

19. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Looks to me like they are really trying to give the 458S buyer a big enough differentiation from the 458 Italia to buy it. Some people want to just have something that is noticeably different.

20. homesite

homesite Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2004
    Fort Lauderdale Area
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I was just saying. I mostly care about 60-130 times. My GTR does it in the 3 second range.

21. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
  22. churchy

churchy Rookie

Mar 3, 2012
    Seems like I'm the only one who thinks it looks stunning. It has lost some elegance, true, but this is the track-focused version of the 458. I particularly like the front bumper, so aggressive and sporty, a perfect match for the headlights. The only part I don't like very much is the one above the rear diffuser, not so well resolved in my opinion (I love the full rear grill, though). Compared to the Scud it looks much, much better. Specs are impressive.

23. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Agree, although I find the stock 458 Coupe is a thing of beauty. But the CS was the best looking Modern Day Ferrari, IMHO.

24. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    This is a car where performance trumps design and aesthetics
    It's a new paradigm today where competitors are breathing down
    Ferrari's neck so they got to deliver the ultimate in performance

25. ferr9000

ferr9000 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2013
    Full Name:
    SFF
    +360 CS

I'm the only one who like the 458S? Just imagine her in real life.