C&O = Mustangs | FerrariChat

C&O = Mustangs

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Patek, Sep 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    #1 Patek, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The C&O today was something out of a movie, or slasher film...
    Seems a call was put out to all the local High Schools for all the kids that have new mustangs to meet up, and boy did they turn out.

Again , you know the drill, I was there a 5:50 AM, and already about 20 cars were there, I even lost "my" place to a viper. But in about 10 minutes somewhere around 30 mustangs came flying into the lot, then Dodge, and lots of the Corvette world. I have not seen so many Mustangs since I drove by a Wallmart.

The first two rows were blocked out by American Muscle by 6:20 AM, the lambos came in a bit late and had to go to the back of the row, they and the Audi's were wrapped by American Muscle cars.

This was my least favorite C&O of the whole year. It was great to see Larry and Ben still hanging with the Lambo men, and women. Is a Lambo now like driving your Wife's Car...
    just kidding..... nobody thinks of a Porsche Boxster as a "woman's" car..... they do... but no really. In defense of the new Boxster, I drove one recently on the track, they need to come up with another name, as it is not the boxster as we think of many years ago.

Back to the show. Now, the crowd was massive, lot was full by 7 am. I had to force myself to take photos, but of what would it be, I am still not sure I have much to say or show.

Except next month , to fit in, I will bring in my 2004, Yukon Denali, with original paint, working AC, and only 14,000 original miles.

Maybe someone else can jump in and show some great things. The Diablo was fun to see, the fastest gentleman's car must have been the brutal looking, in a good way, Mercedes SL65, that is a ton of lbs/ft. torque.

Maybe next month just meet at the Ford and Dodge dealerships and get something off the showroom. .................... again............. kidding...................... I think????
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    #2 Patek, Sep 1, 2013
  3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    This was the first time I made it to C&O in five months, and I really wanted to, since I just got the 328 back in working order after repairs to, of all things, the driver's seat hinge and the turn signal stalk!

After reading about the incredibly early crowd last month, I realized that when I arrived at 7:10, the main lot would probably be full (it was) so I headed straight for the restaurant area and wound up parking on the west end, around the corner from the Thai place. At least there was a bit less traffic circulating there through the morning, and when it began to heat up, I was in the shade. But having to get up at "oh-dark-thirty" on a Sunday just to find a parking spot at a car show is the pits!

I followed a long line of Honda S2000s into the lot, and like the Mustangs, Camaros, etc, they were among a substantial percentage of cars that, in my opinion, just shouldn't be there. I had a chat with Sterling Skinner of Georgia Tech Auto Show fame, and the way he put it is that, for the most part, people at car shows don't want to see new cars that could have been driven right off the showroom floor, unless they are exotic, rare or (in some cases) brand new. (There was a Jaguar F-type opposite me that was getting a lot of attention.) They need to put the "A&E" stamp (Antiques & Exotics) on the C&O!

(In Seattle, they have a weekly show in a shopping center parking lot called Exotics at Redmond Town Center. They block the entrances to the lot and make sure that only "exotics" (by their definition) make it into the lot. The C&O lot really has only three entrances - it would be easy to do something similar there. The show should be limited to cars of about 1990 vintage or older, or newer cars that cost at least $80k or so.)

4. Mike Shine

Mike Shine Rookie

Dec 1, 2010
    Buford, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I said the same thing yesterday after walking around. That was the weakest showing of classic cars, EVER. There were tons of new mustangs, camaros, 350z's, BMW's, etc. Then on top of that, had to be 10 more sponsors there then the previous month.

5. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    How do you block entry? You would need written authorization from every tenant/business or lease holder that has a right to those parking areas. Could be done but you cannot just throw up a blockade on your own. Verv naughty.

Just who is "in charge" of C&O? Or is it just a scenario that has grown on it's own. And if there are more modern american iron than us import people then maybe we are the ones who should be excluded!

6. pdmracing

pdmracing Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2007
    atlanta
    What did you expect with auto trader buying the show?

I missed this month but last month I arrived at 645 and there were many spots being held , which I thought was the whole point, that you could not hold a spot. But I was informed that auto traders new rules were you could hold a spot until 730. Too bad.

I agree somewhat that the late models (like the lexus 300's) are a pain, but enthusiasts come in all shapes and budgets and we should embrace them all.

Why should an 80k late model have any precedence over a 20k one? once you open that box where do you stop? I have shown up in my barn finds that get more attention as someone's 500k mega ride.

That was the whole appeal to me , seeing a Dino, next to a 23 t , next to a Bronco , next to a Kaiser........... you get the idea.

Maybe the solution is to have a club lot & that would let all the guys who want to park together can.

FWIW The last time I brought my GT4, I tried to park next to some other Ferraris and the other owners were such a pain in the ass because my car wasn't exactly straight in the spot, I swore that that was the last time I would park in a group.

I prefer the commoners vs the gold chains any day.

7. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    maybe auto trader could come out with 2400 pages of rules / regs to make in run smoother......

the event has outgrown that spot.

8. 458fan1

458fan1 Karting

Dec 2, 2011
    It was a poorly set up show. Far too many sponsors and everyday cars. I think changes need to be made for the show to continue successfully.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The only business in the whole complex which is open is Mambo Jambo; all others, including the office building whose lot is the main one, are completely closed. They've been managing it out in Redmond for years, so it can be done.

The obvious solution is a bigger lot, and one place which is apparently in the mix is Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, who obviously don't need their lot early on a Sunday morning.

10. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Closed office or not you still need permission to close off access. I have gone thru this before. A lot of ordinances and laws you need to deal with. As you can -it can be done. Just can be more tricky than you realize. Many towns require a permit, and approval from police and fire dept? And sometimes the sanitation dept? That you need X numbers of port johns per square feet of "activity"?

Just saying as thing grows and becomes more "commercial" in nature the more rules/regs that you have to follow. And of course the less "free" it is.

Needs to move to bigger area-yes-but it has grown too big overall. Not a lot of fun if you have to get up at 4:00 Am to get a spot by 5:00 AM. Why even bother?

Still best gatherings we had were at "John's Creek" at Giovannis. Need to get back to that.

11. kayakjack

kayakjack Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    Autotrader "bought" the show. Didn't know that. Who sold it?

Saw a Caffene & Octane trailer selling C&O branded merchandise. Hats and stuff.

So we are the Product. Vendors buy access to us.

I would like to say goodby to this. Most of the issues are bad... Showed up last month (August) at 7:28am and was stuck in the biggest traffic jam ever just trying to get out of the place - no spots left. That's the biggest problem. Not enough space. People make it worse by saving spots. I heard (did not see) that a bunch of people in the lot by Mambo Jambo were hogging up two spots with their cars. Yeah, a bunch of the cars don't "belong", but I don't knock any kind of car people. If you are willing to get up at 0 dark thirty on Sunday morning....

The good stuff has kept me coming back every couple of months... get to see a lot of really cool stuff in one place. And most important to me... Get to see a bunch of car buddies I probably would not see much if I didn't come. Catch up on their car stories. Catch up on their lives. The good stuff is worth a lot.

The Sunday morning timeframe really works for me. Get in early, get out and enjoy the rest of my Sunday. I know the afternoon stuff works for a lot of people, but I usually have other things going on weekends that keep me from afternoon car get togethers. A morning weekend deal that was smaller would be the best. Actually, that is exactly what FOA sponsored for a while. Moved around to various locations in Buckhead. They were nice enough to buy coffee and danish for us.

Jack

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Obviously, some of that must already be in place, because there is a significant presence by both Milton and Alpharetta police both outside and inside the show area. Milton also usually has a fire truck parked along the entrance roadway. There are some porta-johns set up and a number of trash cans (not enough, though) that I'm sure are not there during the week.

I agree with you about Giovanni's, Brian, but it seems as though every time we've tried to promote similar gatherings either right there or at other locations in Johns Creek, no one shows up! Same day, same time, same place - I don't know where everyone went who used to come. I don't think that the restaurant was necessarily the draw, since only a small percentage of the participants actually stayed to have dinner there.

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #14 Gatorrari, Sep 2, 2013
    Anyway, back to more cars. There was a strong Lamborghini presence, including the first Aventador that I've seen in Verde Ithaca, right next to a similarly-colored Gallardo. I'm pretty certain that both the Cord and California Spyder were replicas (and there were two of the latter on the premises). I admit that I have a personal fetish about '70-'71 Barracudas and Challengers. And our old friend with the Tupolev aerosled was trolling around looking for a place to put his beast. (More about that later.)

14. pdmracing

pdmracing Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2007
    atlanta
    My source was the buyer, I don't know the seller but he should be happy, I would be

The original premise was no spot saving, no rules, except for behavior, and get in & out early.
    I still like it all, but this town is car crazy and it is overwhelming the location once again.

I love seeing the people as much as the metal.

Can do without the sponsors holding 50 spots though, they should be at the perimeter of the even.

Maybe its time to start another competing event , There seems to be a market for the early morning event.

15. pdmracing

pdmracing Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2007
    atlanta

Its the time of the show that is the draw. Life gets in the way of the afternoon/ evening events. You can rise early get there by 6;30 and leave by 9 and still have a life.

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Maybe so, but the afternoon events at Giovanni's regularly drew 50-60 cars, and no one seemed to mind the hour (except, perhaps, on real hot afternoons!).

Maybe the "competing event" can be where it all began - The Avenue East Cobb. We'll keep it to ourselves and hope that the outside world doesn't find out about it!

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #18 Gatorrari, Sep 2, 2013
    I rather like the first shot of a couple of classic small cars, a Mini and a Beetle, almost appearing to "nuzzle". The old Aston Martin, while not in great condition, did draw some interest. (What model is that, Aston experts?) And there seemed to be an unusual number of Italian motorcycles, even including a 1998 Laverda! I didn't know that those people were still around by then. (I understand that they have since been absorbed by Aprilia.)

18. ChrisGTS

ChrisGTS Rookie

Jun 19, 2013
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have just accepted the fact that I have to get up before dawn to enjoy myself at this show. I arrived in the caravan with my Lambo/R8 friends (and the white 458 spider I parked next to -- mine is the 430 spider), and we got there about 620. I was really glad to see as many Ferraris as I did -- I saw your 328 (very nice), as well as the Testarossa, another 430 spider and a coupe too (which belongs to another F-chat member), and the 550 that I have seen there before.
    I agree that the show is pretty much out of control, but then again, how do you control a free, open-access event? In addition, if people want to bring Mustangs and Camaros, it doesn't bother me. I got my start in cars with a Corvette 13 years ago. Those guys probably wish they could have an exotic, but they have what they can afford right now. They are allowed to love their cars, just like I love mine.
    I hope to see you all again next month, but I will definitely keep going. If anyone wants to caravan in with our Lambo/Ferrari/R8 group, just let me know and I'll tell you the meeting point in a PM.

Chris

19. Dynra Rockets

Dynra Rockets Rookie

Dec 14, 2009
    #20 Dynra Rockets, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    I like the show just as is. I get there about twice a year and make an effort to get there early. Yes, it is annoying to have spots taken by what seem like daily drivers but I don't mind. They are just as proud of their cars as we are of ours. If someone is serious about getting a good spot then they just need to get up early.

It is easy to critize the organizers but I submit try and organize something like that yourself. It is a no-win deal to try and please everyone. I have organized events in the past and I know it is a thankless job.

I like the variety. I drive whatever strikes me on that day. I took my C3 Corvette convt this time. Next month I will probably take my pre-production (3/89 build date) Miata.

@Gatorrari, yes that was a replica that is supposed to look like a '61 250 GT California. It's the old CalSpider kit, then sold and renamed the Modena, then sold again and now made by Renucci out of Arizona. Has a Ford small block in it. Car was for sale and the guy wanted $85k

Randy

20. grngryoutmyway

grngryoutmyway Karting

Nov 4, 2011
    I came in right behind Jim in my Camaro, was going to come introduce myself but you had a fan club mounting up to chat when I was over in that area. This was my first time there this summer casue I've beein painting my car since November. Rode up with a buddy early assuming we could still get at least a couple spots, but it's fine either way.

The biggest appeal to me with this show is it's a bring what you got kinda show an I always end up seeing at least one or two cars I've never run across before. That is also starting to be the down turn though. The cut off for me should be if you wouldn't take it to a different car show, don't take it to this one, but self inforcement obviously isn't working with that and I don't know that there is a way with how the show is. When it was at The Avenues there were still some normal cars there, but now there are just more of them as are there more exotics and older cars. I have noticed a lot of people that used to come every month have stopped tho and it's understandable. I don't really care about a lot of the newer cars there that are $80k plus either, tons of normal BMW, Merc and such you see on the street everyday and don't take a second glance along with cheaper stuff like stock Mustangs, Camaros, 350Z's etc.. I don't mind though I just walk by and look at what I want to look at, as long as everyone is being nice and respectful to the cars I don't see an issue.

Personally I think it all comes down to size, and the show has totally outgrown it's current area. You used to have to check each month to see where it was at since it kept growing so quick. Obviously they can move it again should they so choose to.

Why don't we try to petition via their forums and facebook to get the show site moved to a bigger location?! We have twenty replies here already, their website is a little unloved but FB might get there attention if a lot of folks chime in. I liked it a lot more when it was casual and you could just kinda show up and check out the cars. Now it starts at 5, if you don't get there by 7 you cant park, and people start leaving at 10. If you WANT to do that, great, but it has become mandatory if you actually want to go because of space constraints. I saw some people come in around 8:30 or so that couldn't even find a spot in the overflow area, thats just retarded.

21. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I would go with the caravan ,but....... you guys are always late. Ben and Larry always ride in , and I'm like, man.......... too late.

22. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    #23 Patek, Sep 3, 2013
    I rarely get up before Noon..... but if I do.... it's for C&O. I know that is hard for me to get up and roll to be there a 5:50AM. If I had to travel far, I know there would be times I would not get there. My sister lives about 2 miles away, so I am there before I even wake up.
    But any function I go to , I always get there early. Like Cavallino in West Palm, I was there with Suzanne and Larry by about 6:30am.

If I had to leave Hiawassee and be there at 6am. I would only come about 1 time per year, unless the cars were 300 vintage Ferrari, Porsche, etc. Even if it were in buckhead I would still be there as early as possible.

I will still come to the show, even if it stays about the same, but I feel that everyone will be overwhelmed by the modern cars and the classic cars may just stay home. Then there will be just a regular New Car Lot, they should then have all the cars for sale, let the dealerships of Chevy, Ford, Lexus, Mercedes, take over. That is one bad side.

Just hope it evens out to a bit of old and just a bit of new. I love cars, and the people who like cars.

But, I have to admit I never grew up longing to have anything American, back in the 60's I was always Ferrari, Abarth, Fiat, Lancia, Porsche, Jag, So I can't say I have a keen eye on things American. But I do think the "New " stingray is worth the money, best bang for the dollar, but like my dad use to say about them " You would not want anyone to see you getting out of one, they may think you own it".

To sum it up I will be there as long as I have something special to drive, and don't have to do a 2 hour drive.

Now it is fun to see how early you have to get there, as it will be a challenge to beat the guy who has the tent with the porsche beside it. I bet if you got there a 3am he would be there handing out the "look but don't touch" stuff, that is the man to beat.

I may be there next month at 4:30am just to see...... KIDDING..... Maybe.

23. minimn

minimn Karting

Jun 25, 2007
    " the guy who has the tent with the porsche beside it."

That ain't no Porsche, it's a wannabe!

24. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Pete, let's park crooked across the lines beside each other the next time we're both at C&O.