2014 Mexican GP. Mexico City... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

2014 Mexican GP. Mexico City...

Discussion in 'F1' started by hairy_scotsman, Aug 25, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    2014 provisional calendar leaked: Mexico si, New Jersey no.

Mexico on 21-race draft 2014 Formula 1 calendar, no New Jersey slot - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

DRAFT 2014 CALENDAR

March 16 - Australia (Melbourne)
    March 23 - Malaysia (Sepang)
    April 6 - China (Shanghai)
    April 13 – Korea* (Korea International Circuit)
    April 27 – Bahrain (Sakhir)
    May 11 – Spain (Barcelona)
    May 25 – Monaco (Monaco)
    June 8 – Canada (Montreal)
    June 22 – Austria (Red Bull Ring)
    July 6 – Britain (Silverstone)
    July 20 – Germany (Hockenheim)
    July 27 – Hungary (Budapest)
    August 24 – Belgium (Spa)
    September 7 – Italy (Monza)
    September 21 – Singapore (Marina Bay)
    October 5 - Japan (Suzuka)
    October 19 – Russia* (Sochi)
    October 26 – Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)
    November 9 – Mexico* (Mexico City)
    November 16 – USA (Circuit of the Americas)
    November 30 – Brazil (Interlagos)

Re: the asterisks by Korea, Russia, and Mexico...these slots are pending track or contract confirmation. That seems normal and expected for a new race. Looks like Korea might not happen.

2. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    Brilliant! It'll be a huge success.

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hmmmm..... I used to go down there (Mexico City) pretty regularly, admittedly > 6 years back, so things may be different now, but I never had a "security detail", was generally alone, and never once felt "threatened" the way I did in, eg, Philly.....

I may be wrong, but can't help thinking these "private security" firms are stirring up paranoia to support their business; I walked all over the place, often pretty late at night and was never once concerned. The archetypal "ignorant Englishman" I guess.....

Riding in the back seat of a VW bug taxi OTOH was always an experience! :eek:

Cheers,
    Ian

4. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    On yes, that is classic -- with no seat belt, you sway all over the place if the driver
    does some spirited driving. There is a saying that if you drive in Mexico City you can
    drive anywhere.

5. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 :)

Always seemed to me the cab drivers never did anything other than "spirited driving"!....

One way streets? "Don't apply to me".
    Sidewalks? "I have special permission to use 'em!"
    No hurry? "You may not be, but I am!"

Gotta be honest, I thoroughly enjoyed my stays there. I certainly didn't wear the Rolex and/or plaid pants with a camera round my neck screaming "I'm an American!", but again, never felt in any "danger".

YMMV of course.....
    Cheers,
    Ian

6. bmagni

bmagni Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Mexico being dangerous? depends on where you stay and where you roam and what you do.

The area near the track is not pretty, as so are many other parts in the city, as in many other places around the world. It's like late 80's - early 90's NY, and I might say less dangerous.

Just follow this advice:
    - Don't go to weird neighborhoods, stay in Polanco, Centro, etc. and if you're staying near the airport, travel to the tourist places.
    - Never take a cab out of the street, always use a cab from an established site and make sure they don't charge you an 'established' fee, make them use the meter. I have numbers if you want them. You can call them whenever you want and they'll send a safe cab.
    - Private security always draws attention.
    - And don't come showing off how rich you are, keep a low key. You can be wealthy but if you're not a big shot, no one will know who you are, unless you brag about it. No matter how friendly people seem, don't tell them "I drive a Ferrari in the US".

7. 505T

505T Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Coming from a 3rd world country, the English tend to fare better as tourists...perhaps it due to past centuries of "acquiring" territories that they have attained a sense of what it takes to visit countries that are different from their own....Americans always seem to be waving a flag saying, "Come and take advantage of me".

Travel is a vital means of education, it should go without saying.

8. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I know what you mean, but we don't all do that. :)

9. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    I lived in Mexico City for 20 years, but haven't been back in 2 decades. Might take advantage of my brother's condo in Polanco and see what's new there :D. Not too excited about the new engines, but also want to visit Cuernavaca and Tequesquitengo. And maybe rent a Ducati and do the Toluca highway; always wanted to do that, but might be a tad dangerous now. But need to wait until the race is verified; I thought it'd be impossible to make that track compliant in such a short time. Guess we can't underestimate Slim's money, right? And yes, I'd leave the big egos, nice watches, and such at home :D. Not a dangerous city, but as it was already said, just be smart; any big metropolis has problem areas. Take care folks.

10. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #60 hairy_scotsman, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  11. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Actually turbo cars are barely effected by altitude changes.

12. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
  13. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name: