Koenig boxer engine going back together | FerrariChat

Koenig boxer engine going back together

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Sep 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #1 Newman, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I found this boxer last christmas and bought it as a project car for myself. Found some interesting mods it had done back in 79 when it was new and because I need another non-running ferrari like a hole in the head I decided to put it back together. I planned to restore it but the reality is right now I dont have the time or the space to spread another car all over the place especially since I plan to move in less than a year.

Yes Adams Im moving! Again!

I pulled the heads off to have a look inside when I first bought the car and Im okay with what I see. The engine had been removed over 4 years ago for a service on a good running car (so they say) so Im cleaning the heads up and putting them back on, koenig cams go back in and it'll be the way it was in 79. Im excited to drive it and see what the koenig engine package worked like back then with those tall stacks and big snorkels over the roof. Worst case scenario is I have an assembled carbed boxer that I can restore a few years from now unless I blow it up before that. I plan to drive it before the snow flies (maybe even after it snows) but im limited to evenings and weekends to working on it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Well I for one think those stacks look freaking awesome!!!

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think it's a cool project. You can haul (small) parts in it!

This car just has some Koenig engine mods and nothing else, right? That seems like the way to do it, if you had to do it at all.

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #4 Newman, Sep 4, 2013
    Agreed!

Just the engine mods which required the snorkels and it had BBS wheels but the original wheels followed the car and the BBS wheels were sold along the way. The dates on the cromodoras match the year of the car.

Pics of it several years ago with the BBS wheels then prior to the engine coming out and being put on the back burner for over 4 years.

5. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    That's cool. I like seeing the aftermarket stuff, I wasn't around to enjoy it back then. How's the rest of the car?

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #6 Newman, Sep 4, 2013
    The odometer says 8200kms and talking to the previous owners and knowing it sat for 4+ years it makes sense. The paint is original and in need of attention and was stored improperly during those 4 years so there are some areas that are like new and others that dont match the rest of the car condition-wise. There are areas that are like new and fortunately its un-hit and no DOT conversion ever. It should have clear front signal lamps which were swapped to amber when it was imported into Canada new in 79. I have a pair of new clear lamps waiting. Realistically I would like to restore this car but need to make it run first, sort it, drive it and get back to it when I can squeeze in a resto.

7. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    The Postal Service must hate you!

What a crazy project to take on (in a good kind of crazy way). So utterly 80's extreme. At your first show display, maybe you should sprinkle mounds of baby powder leading into the snorkels for an authentic 80's snorting experience.

Seriously, any 12 cylinder car with roof snorkels is worth saving! Was this the car the wacko stalk Blaupunkt came out of?

This car will be fun, and is undoubtedly quite rare. I imagine it's history tells a very good and hopefully sordid story.

8. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Will it get a special carrier? (so you have an excuse to spread tranny parts about) :)

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #9 Newman, Sep 5, 2013
    The radio stays! The berlin 8000 goose neck is so ridiculous I cant help but keep it.

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Not yet, sold out but making more.

11. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    It's an '80's must!!!

12. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

#12 4right, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    In my opinion it looks much better with the Cromodora wheels! Is the red duct proper? Most that I have seen match the color of the lower body panel.

13. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    goose neck, remote recaro, snorkel, koening....kool kar!

14. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Good call on keeping the Berlin! That was the setup, back in the day.

Are you keeping the seats as well?

15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #15 Newman, Sep 5, 2013
    The painted duct is a show car detail that ferrari used to highlight the fact they added a duct vs the 365 boxer. In boxer trim its easy to miss the fact the side scoop is there so they painted them body color for the shows and brochures, Ive seen them silver as well. Ive seen a few boxers with painted scoops which is a personal choice, Ill make them black again.

I sold the seats to a guy in CA last fall, they weighed 50lbs each! I bought proper boxer seats to put back in it. It also has a Gilles Villeneuve signature series momo steering wheel which Im also leaving in place. Looks like the OEM wheel but with a signature and its a little thicker, has a pronounced finger pattern on the back side, feels good in the hand.

16. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Very cool. Looks like you'll have an awesome and unique car. And I'm sure it will sound awesome with the trumpets. Very nice.

17. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I really like that car, and what you're doing with it!

18. hnyc

hnyc Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    As soon as I was done looking at the Blaupunkt I caught those Recaro Cs. Glad to see that it survived the '90s/00s. Hope you're keeping it as such. Since those BBSs are gone, put some Gottis on her! There are plenty of time correct cars, but I kind of like seeing period aftermarket mod cars survive.

19. hnyc

hnyc Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Of course I just see your post now about selling the Recaros. Oh well. Originality wins again. Fine car either way. Look forward to seeing its progress.

20. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Are you going to put it on the dyno when it's back together? It would be interesting to know what sort of power it really puts out.

21. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Wow those are serious cam lobes. How is that streetable!

22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I have the same cams in my BB koenig. when you start in 1st gear may be you have to push the gaspedal a little more than with stock cams, but it is really no problem to drive the car with those cams in normal traffic.
    only problem is when you always have to stop and go on a freeway. this is not good for the clutch then. but with stock cams you have the same problem.

to put this engine on a dyno would be great before installing it paul

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Glad to hear people are keen on the period mods. Knowing it was done new in 79 makes it right in a way. Ive had a few people groan over the snorkels but I cant run the stacks with out them. I kinda like the snorkels anyway but glad thats the only exterior change. I dont mind losing the seats, they were a little much plus it had 5 point harnesses which I just didnt want.

Hadn't considered dyno time but I could give it a try I guess.

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    We'll see! I expect a lack of response down low but quite a bit more mid and upper range. Hoping for a bit of a rough idle from the cams.

25. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 -- Please post some lift/duration measurements, Paul.