Is it just me or have cars recently become better looking? | FerrariChat

Is it just me or have cars recently become better looking?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Bullfighter, Sep 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Usually I hate new car shopping because IMHO all the best stuff was built 30-50 years ago, but lately I'm seeing signs of life. And not just the expensive toys, but everyday driver-type cars. Among the new and somewhat recent designs:

High end sports/GT cars

Lamborghini Aventador is far more attractive than the Murci/Gallardo. I don't like Lambos, but I like this one.
    Audi R8 coupe with the side blades in body color is striking. Maybe the prettiest tail end of anything made.
    Porsche 918 Spider is the best looking Porsche made since the 1960s. It has cues from the 904 and 917, and Dino, but the top-exiting exhaust and targa are classic. (And sub-7 sec on the Nurburgring is decent...)
    Ferrari F12 -- vast improvement over the 599. One of Ferrari's better efforts in the Fiat era.

Mid-range sports/GT cars

Porsche Boxster/Cayman suddenly looks almost like the new Dino would have. I'm looking forward to seeing hundreds of them on the road soon. If you don't need an occasional rear seat for kids or amputees, I can't see taking the 911 over the Boxster/Cayman any longer. Home run.
    BMW Z4 redesign is jewel-like. The first gen was ungainly, even if the overall proportions were right. The new one nails it. Overpriced, but maybe worth it just because you get to stare at it every time you walk up to it. One of the most beautiful cars on the road today.
    Jaguar F-Type pales next to the legendary E-Type, but so does everything. The F-Type could have been smaller, lighter, etc., but it looks very good for what it is. I would be tempted if I needed another two seater.

Luxury sedans/coupes

Tesla Model S -- The Nissan Leaf is a nerdmobile. The Tesla is about the coolest thing with 4 doors. Tons of them out here in San Diego.
    Merc CLS looks even better than the original -- very hunkered down, may be the best expression of Merc's current design language.
    BMW 5 series sedan -- maybe it benefits by replacing the ugliest sedan made in decades, but I think it's beautiful in its own right.
    BMW 4 series coupe -- from the photos, it looks like a tempting option to the ubiquitous 3 series. Not life-changingly beautiful, but sleeker than what it replaces and less ponderous than the 6 series. (In fact with sufficient power under the hood, I think the 4 could put the 6 series out of its misery... seems redundant other than being a cash cow for BMW.)
    Audi A5/S5/coupe/converible -- the most beautiful four passenger car under $100K. Going with the soft top on the convertible was a stroke of genius -- it makes the BMW/Lexus alternatives look clunky in comparison.
    Cadillac Elmiraj concept -- if they don't build this, they're idiots.

Sedans/coupes

Scion/Subaru FR-S coupe -- this is a very handsome car for the money. If you squint (a lot...) it has shades of some of the classic shapes from Maranello in the '60s. Winner. Plus it has a boxer engine and seems like a serious bit of engineering.
    MINI Cooper -- not new, but the basic coupe is iconic in its own right (not just as a retro rip-off, but because it was done right); also some of the derivative designs are funky and appealing.

Trucks

OK, I have no enthusiasm for trucks, but the downsized Cayenne/Touraeg looks less ridiculous to me than the old one did. I wouldn't be embarrassed.

Range Rover Evoque -- looks terrific inside and out. I actually test drove one, and could see living with it everyday.

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I 100% agree with your statement on the Elmiraj. They already didn't build the Cien so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make that one. :(

The CLS looks nice too. I agree about the current lineups...they're all looking pretty good for the most part.

3. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Those examples are spot on except the 5 series, I wish BMW would have made it more unique from the 3er. Much like how the e28 differentiated itself from the e30. Aston Martins should be on that list but they've haven't had any new groundbreaking designs in years; can understand them being overlooked. Besides they're starting to look like Ford Fusions! ;)

4. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Even in the "daily driver" category - Kia, Nissan, Toyota, VW - even Chevy and Ford... ALL cars, to me,
    look way better this year. My new Nissan Sentra is NICE looking - and way better
    in so many ways over the 2008 Merc E350 I traded straight across for it.

Jedi

5. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    I agree that many of the high end luxury GT cars and sedans are looking refined and smooth lately. The only other thing that makes me raise a brow in bewilderment is the insane LED Daytime Running Light designs stuck on the cars, almost competing for who has the best squiggly design.

6. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    As mentioned, some of the lower-priced cars really look good at least from the outside. In the past few years the US carmakers might have finally figured out that interiors matter as well. There are materials available that add tactile feel and texture without a lot of cost.

Interestingly, some brands are getting more ugly. Yes Mercedes, this means you. The sport-utilities in particular just get worse.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    when cars first went to CAD generated designs (early 90's?) remember everything was lifeless and so many "soap bar" cars. I wonder if it took awhile for the computers and robotic builders to match the curves and forms of the hands on era.

8. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I have been thinking this also, but you are the first to post this. The other thing is some of the least expensive cars now handle better than others.

The American cars in particular have upped their game. They have always provided cars at reasonable prices but the damn things never could take a corner very well. This is changing.

Great post

Lee

9. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I think a lot of the cars are much more exciting now. I don't like the trend to make all the models the same, Nissan, and Lexus especially. Some cars it works, BMW, others it doesn't.
    I'm not a fan of some of the new stuff. I don't like the Evoque. Especially the coupe. Well, I like it, but it doesn't fit the Land Rover brand. But that's just my opinion.

I do think its getting better. Designs are breaking ground, people want cars to be exciting again, even if its just a economy car.

10. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I can't tell any of the Nissan/Infinitis apart, true. Ditto for Lexuseses. They really are picking up where Buick left off before GM dropped Buick.

11. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    458 was a milestone in Ferrari design.
    Best looking F car since the F40 which was beautiful in its functionality.

12. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    The lux/premium brands have always been lookers. The real news is in the designs of brands like Mazda. It's unreal how good the new Mazda 6 and 3 look. Even more so given their price.

These smaller mass market brands (Mazda, Kia, etc) have not only invested heavily in high-end designers but also the engineering resources needed to make it happen. That's more impressive than high-margin, high-end brand designs, IMHO.

13. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    when did GM drop Buick?

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I thought it was Olds. My parents always bought Olds, now mom buys Buicks. :)

15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    correct
    thank her for me!

16. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You're right, my mistake! Olds, Pontiac and Saturn...

17. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Agree totally with you.

18. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    #18 Vinny Bourne, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Cars have definitely gotten better in general, but no nothing different in terms of style some ascendent, some descendent as always.

Lambo, Audi, and RR are on top of their game
    Porsche, Ferrari, Jag, and BMW are not

348/355 were the best looking designed modern Ferrari's (see the poll here)
    928 and CGT run circles around the 918
    D type and E type - come on
    BMW - E46 330, 2000 7 series
    Merc 300 SL's
    Cadillac- elmiraj is sweet but Cien was best ever sports design
    Lincoln's are a joke now best were 60's and 70's
    Camaro's are great now
    63 split window vette the best

So as long as your are only talking appearance and not performance, there have been many periods of equal or better design, here are some luxury sedans that are really something not to mention the 20's and 30's which are some of the nicest, dusenberg's, cord's, auburn's, cadillac's ...............................

courtesy --- http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5291/5531431832_a263877a09_b.jpg
    ----- http://photo.netcarshow.com/Cadillac-Eldorado_1971_photo_01.jpg`
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    You had me until I read the above... these have to be the ugliest thing on the road today!!! All Subarus have boxer engines, or at least all the ones I've looked at.

20. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It's a stretch to compare the current generation of cars to Duesenbergs. I guess my point was that the '90s and '00s felt like a drought -- Mercedes was dealing with Chrysler and selling M-class trucks; BMW was in the dark ages of Bangle; LamborghAudi was busy stamping out Gallardos; Ferrari was doing mass-produced amoebas; Porsche collaborated with Toyota on the 996, which probably has the worst resale of any rear-engined Porsche; I don't remember what GM made for those 20 years; etc.

As to your list, it's always a matter of individual taste. I would take the 918 Spider over the 928 purely on looks. While the D-Type and E-Type are far more iconic than the F-Type, I would argue that for the first time in 40 years it feels like there's a reason to actually walk into a Jag showroom.

21. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    The US automotive industry was barely treading water from the frist oil embargo - 1973 until the crash cleared out most of the crap in 2008. GM went from 750,000 employess down to 70,000. Just a bunch of bean counters trying to survive. Still more to do, but Tesla will be leading the way along with chevy if they keep the momentum going.

The 918 is an over-hyped, over-priced hybrid Lotus-like little toy;

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f4phgrpeR8]Porsche 918 Spyder Engine Sounds - YouTube[/ame]

boring (looks-wise) ^^, in fact that 8 cylinder engine would be better off in a new 928

22. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Audi has done a good job of styling recently, the A7 is particularly attractive.

BMW's styling has left me cold for the most part but the new 6-series looks great, but I also liked the old 6 as well. The Z4 since its restyle in 2009 (?) is also attractive. That's about it though.

Chrysler/Dodge hasn't done much recently but the new Viper is properly outlandish, and I think few would argue against the Dart looking better than the old Neon.

Chevrolet. One word. Stingray. Any questions?

Ferrari is Ferrari. 458 looks great as a convertible, although I am partial to the 360 in Spyder form personally. The 355 is probably the best looking V8 coupe they have made. 550 will always be my favorite late-model V12.

Hyundai is making some very attractive cars these days. The Equus may have a shape derived from the S-class, but the interior is perhaps better than the german car.

Lamborghini Aventador blows the scissor doors off the Murci. But Murci still has that classic shape, to me it is more Countach than the Diablo ever was.

Porsche? More interested in making SUVs these days. Slowly growing the 911 until it is the size of a small ute. Cayman still looks good though.

Heck even stodgy old Volvo makes reasonably attractive cars these days...

23. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Overhyped? It just beat McLaren for the Nurburgring lap record. If anything it's underhyped.

It's also has a flat plane crank, similar to what Ferrari have been using in V8s since the 308 -- Chris Harris video here where he describes it as a racing sound:

Porsche 918 Spyder: a Ride In Porsche's Hybrid Hypercar - /CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - YouTube

Sorry, I think it's a beast in a beautiful body. Not boring at all. I suspect any high end performance car in the future is going to need to take advantage of electric motors to play in the same league.

928s were mostly automatics, IIRC, intended to compete with the Mercedes SL -- very different animal.

24. Ferrari-F1

Ferrari-F1 Karting

Jul 12, 2013
    Southern California
    I dont agree...current production cars are mostly ugly

High end sports/GT cars

Lamborghini Aventador: I prefer the murcielago lp640 roadster's exterior looks but the aventador interior has definitely improved

Ferrari F12 and FF are ugly. I dont like the 458 either because they removed the side cuts and engine window. 430/360 spider looks way better than 458 IMO

I am still leaning towards Pagani who hasnt changed much and is still miles ahead in looks

Mid-range sports/GT cars--the mercedes slk/clk were much better

Porsche Boxster/Cayman
    BMW Z4
    Jaguar F-Type -this is the only one that is half way decent and its definitely not worth msrp

Luxury sedans/coupes-the maserati quattroporte is ok

the new s class is hideous
    all the 7 series are ugly with the bangle butt and all after 2000's

Sedans/coupes

the new 3/5 series are very weird looking but the new c and e classes look ok

Trucks

range rover is ok but i prefer their older bulkier designs.
    the mercedes g is still my favorite
    these porsche suv's do nothing for me and i am waiting for the lambo and bentley suv's

25. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    The 2015 Mustang is rumored to have the flat pane, so? Nice I guess, but there are all kinds of nice sounds from Ferrari's to 60's big blocks to maserati's ... If everyone had a flat plane crank then it would be blase. Variety is good.

Kamikaze runs on the NBR don't interest me, you will NEVER do that kind of driving in normal life in the US. Meaningless. How many threads here bemoan the uselessness of the high speed capabilities of today's supercars and mention more enjoyment from 355's etc and sound from that car in the vintage section. Street cars are about sound and looks. (vintage -https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vintage-thru-365-gtc4-sponsored-redline-restorations/420678-must-hear-275-a.html)

Buy a bike if you like speed thrills, beats a car anyday.

The 928 was intended to be the best GT performance car one could buy, it succeeded, most misunderstood and never-experienced car ever, mine - http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5478/9431346528_cf0163db0b_h.jpg