Why I Own a Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why I Own a Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by raf456, Sep 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Because I wanted one. I am fortunate to be able to maintain my own so it does help in ownership. Hopefully another will be finding its way to my home in the near future. One does not live by Porsche alone. :)

2. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG

I had never heard this story before - thanks for sharing this Bob!!!

PDG

3. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks, guys. The panic attacks actually came back when I started driving the 360 but I pushed through them and they went away. Panic sucks, and you can't turn it off. I tried to push through it right after but ended up parking my corvette and turning it back in with 24k still left on the lease. So began a ten year run of three porsche cayennes :D

4. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    #29 andrew911, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    I have the car for myself- most of my driving is in the early hours of the weekend when no one is on the road, or to car meets (occasionally when the wife and I can get out we take it to dinner!) In the winter I just look at it as I pass it in the garage leaving to go to work and coming home...it's like art work to me.

One thing is I've let a lot of kids sit in the car over the years at car shows or just if they come up to look at the car in a parking lot, and it's amazing how some of them get so excited- there is hope in this world!!! :) Sometimes they are reluctant to get in and need to be re-assured- that was me when I was 9 or so, and the love of cars just continued growing from there...

I remember quite vividly many big car firsts... The first car I rode in that really got me hooked (a friend's parent's new stick 528i BMW circa 1981- much more interesting than the '76 buick we had as our family car), my first ride in a Porsche 911 (which was also the first time I went 100 mph in a car- I wasn't driving), first 911 I bought used after working from age 12 - 17 to save for it (that was huge), first ride in a Ferrari (550 maranello a friend's uncle bought when it just came out), first drive of a Ferrari (348 spider rented on our honeymoon for 6 hours in Hawaii), first drive of an Enzo (TaxDr's car), and when I got my 360 which was such an exciting thing!! Each of those events was incredible- so yes I'm a certified car nut, and the top of the food chain in cars (to many/most of us) is Ferrari. The phrase people say about Ferrari which I have read in several magazines (I think I read this in an owner's survey in a 1960's road & track, and also in the most recent Forza magazine) is: "buying a Ferrari is the best thing I've ever done for myself"

5. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    It IS a self indulgence.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

6. mspelt

mspelt Formula Junior

May 28, 2010
    Tallahassee
    Full Name:
    Mark Pelt
    I fell in love with the mark when I was very young and the deal was sealed when I saw (and heard) up close and personal a 275 GTB/4 with wire wheels in Mt Cisco, NY about 1968. From that moment on I new I would have a Ferrari some day. It took many years before I was able to own a Ferrari but the wait was worth it! What others think is not important to me. To see the car in my garage makes me feel all fuzzy inside and to drive her is pure pleasure.

Still no stray panties though.....

7. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Because I can.

8. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Right now I don't even have a clue why in the hell I own two Ferrari's.

9. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Because you have twice as good taste as the rest of us? Either that or you just needed to feel twice as excited at your age!!! :D

10. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    +330 & 365!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Its because you can't bring yourself to sell one!

I know I can't not right now.

I love my 308 and my 355 is new to me.

12. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    ...... because at that time (2001) I did not know how to pronounce Lamborghini at the dealer :D

13. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    My girlfriend said something funny to me today. She said she can imagine my car as a transformer and we just dont know it yet because be has chosen not to receal his true identity at this time. Its that special and inspiring even sitting still. Ferraris are really something.

14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I feel exactly the same way, but just for that I'm going to find out what car show you go to and I'll drive down and bring mine! :D

15. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The question should be why wouldn't one own a ferrari?

16. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That's a great color for the 612. I plan to get a 612 after I have my fun with a 360. I know the styling is controversial, but it takes me back to the beautiful 275's, which are just killer.

For me, Ferraris were the ultimate sports cars and racing cars from the time I was a kid, plus they were breathtakingly beautiful. I had Fiats when I was young, but I always knew I'd get an F-car when I could. It's just such an honor to be able to own and drive one. I put over 7K miles on the 456M the first year! That doubled the mileage the first two owners put on it in eleven years. Thanks for caring for my car while it depreciated into my budget, whoever you are!

Inside of every Ferrari beats the heart of a race car, because Ferraris are built by guys who race. All that experience and technology trickles down into their road cars. I often kid Lamborghini owners by asking, "How many Formula 1 world championships has Lamborghini won again?" lol.

Cheers,

George

17. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    About 15 yrs ago I moved to Boston after college. My wife had a parking spot in the state st garage and there was a guy who parked a 308 GT4 there. I didn't know what it was but it said Bertone on it just like the multiple fiat 850s I cobbled together in high school. One day I finally heard the thing and it all came together-I was hooked-just had to make some cash.

I've had my car for about 4 yrs and I still dig how most folks don't know what it is.....but I do still want one with a red seats!

18. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    "How many Formula 1 world championships has Lamborghini won again?" [/QUOTE]

No question this adds to the Fcar mystique-especially talking to Lambo fans!

19. zff

zff Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I bought my Ferrari because I'm a big fan of the F1 team.

I'm at least as big a fan of F1 and the Scuderia as any crazed NFL or NBA fan is of their sport and team. I have mugs, t-shirts, caps and all kinds of other officially-licensed team merchandise that any crazed sports fan might have -- but the 308 in my garage is not officially-licensed Ferrari merchandise. It's a Ferrari. It's every bit a Ferrari as the ones Lauda, Ascari, Schumacher and Alonso pilot. How cool is that?

What other sport can an everyday fan own something that close to the heart and soul of their favorite team? Usually, the most a fan can hope for is something in their team's colors or bearing their team's logo -- but it's always something that has absolutely nothing to do with the team other than the licensing connection.

Tifosi who own Ferraris are some of the luckiest sports fans in the world.

20. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Exactly-and on top of that the #s speak for themselves-Ferrari is/are the Yankees of racing. I hate the Yankees but they have the #s-and they are the best ever. Why do you think Mariano got the standing O a few nights ago in his last game at Fenway-he's part of the legend and even sox fans know it!

Other fans hate Ferrari and I like that-heck, this is as close to being a Yanks fan as I'll ever get-

21. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Bravo Brother.

Go Sox
    Forza Ferrari

22. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    AL east clinched! And as we know, we can thank Mariano for a couple of key chokes against the Sox so of course he gets a standing O!

23. Pirateclosingon40

Apr 28, 2007
    PBC, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Fell head over heels in love at 9 or 10 years old with the one on TV that had a funny looking guy with a mustache driving it. I told my mom I wanted a Ferrari.

I got a Matchbox car for Christmas.

When I was shopping for my first car at 16, I told all my friends that I would get a Ferrari 308 someday. It took me a little longer than I had hoped, but I made good on my word.

24. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    People tend to be forgiving in eulogies.
    ;)

25. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I've always wanted a 308, Magnum PI was on from my age of 10 to 18 so it is truly imprinted on my brain. I have a history of wanting and owning sports cars so no one can say I want it for a status symbol, but I have to say it is fun owning a Ferrari.