330 front lights suddenly turn off | FerrariChat

330 front lights suddenly turn off

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Eduardo velasco, Nov 2, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eduardo velasco

Oct 31, 2013
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Eduardo VELASCO
    Hi everybody

I am new in this web so I hope to write this in the appropriate place!!

.Today while driving home suddenly the head lights of my 330 GT 2+2 4HL turn off

It was very stressing as I was circulating by the freeway .... I arrived home pressing the flashing light but ( obviously ) with no lights on the back of the car.

This happened after disassemble the steering wheel in order to repair the broken turn indicator stalk... ( I explain that because I am afraid it could affect somehow to the lights stalk and cause the problem ) But also after, at least, 10 minutes driving with the lights perfectly working.

I checked the fuses and all of them are ok .... Any Idea about where to check before sending the car back to the workshop?

Thank you very much

2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I would first check all the earth wires are grounded correctly, check near the head lights and near the steering column, then there should be a headlight relay i would think, [ i am not familiar with a 330], check it has power in and power out when you turn the lights on. If that does not work, the chances are it is in the stalk, and i would get an auto electrician to take a look, they should be cheaper than a dealer.

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Most likely the problem is either in the fuse box or in the indicator levers. Be very careful with the levers, they are very brittle, break easily and replacement originals are not available.

Regards,

Art S.

4. mdw3

mdw3 Karting

Jan 2, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The fuse block is your problem. When the old plastic blocks get heated up from ambient engine heat (I'll bet this only happened after the car reached operating temps), the rivets on the block that connect the wiring loom to the metal fuse connector ends expand enough to allow a gap in the circuit and, hence, she no light up. All of the rivets on the plastic block will need to be redone to ensure a good connection (or you can buy a new block). I had the same problem, and it took months of rathole diving to figure this out. Learn from my travails.

Michael

5. Eduardo velasco

Oct 31, 2013
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Eduardo VELASCO
    Thanks you all!!! I will start with all this tips immediately and let you know the results

6. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Check your fuses..... both brass connections and the fuse itself. Also make sure the fuse fits tightly. Had exact same thing happen on my C/4. It was a combination of a corroded fuse end and a loose fuse connection. A clean fuse and a slight bend to the fuse retainer fixed the problem. That was several years ago.

7. Eduardo velasco

Oct 31, 2013
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Eduardo VELASCO
    Michael (mdw3) in my case the problem persist even this morning when the car was absolutely cooled down ....

8. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Perhaps your light sensor is blocked or broken..............

Ciao
    Oscar

9. Eduardo velasco

Oct 31, 2013
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Eduardo VELASCO
    Kerry (330 GT registry) said with a lot of sense

If both the headlights (Hi and Lo) are off and the tail lights too, then I would look at the L switch and wiring. The tail lights are on a different fuse and are always on whenever the L switch is on. That is about the only common component that would affect both the headlights and taillights at the same time. The Flash circuit is independent of the L switch (lights do not have to be on to flash the headlights), so they would work even if the L switch or wiring is bad.

10. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Same thing happened to me years ago and quite scary. My problem was the "L" switch on the dashboard went bad.

Dan