Quattroporte III catch-all thread | Page 24 | FerrariChat

Quattroporte III catch-all thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Quattroporte3, Jun 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    William...

In furtherance of my previous, somewhat confusing post, I would suggest checking the
    fuse on the Tedel 101 box first, as QP3 suggests. Be sure to use the correct amperage
    fuse.

Since your emergency pump wiring works, but the primary pump wiring is not working,
    there may be something going on with either the inertia switch or the tedel 101 box
    itself. This is what my research was indicating to check for.. It was just a bit confusing.

Check the fuse on the 101 box and let us know what you find...

Mike

2. Thestash

Thestash Karting

May 8, 2011
    Wappingers Falls, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony Pistachio
    I can't imagine how that could happen unless you're parked on a severe downward slope and you have a completely full tank of gas. I know the tank is mounted higher than most cars but there's no way it'll completely drain from pulling a line off that high in the engine compartment.
    I removed the line from the filter/regulator and only a few drops came out on mine. Sorry for putting you in that situation...
    Tony

3. William Abraham

William Abraham Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Hi

I have an issue with the fan unit. It only works on one speed for the fan which is a problem. I have a replacement unit that is not 100% the same. See my thread for the 86. Has anyone had this problem? The fan works but the speed does not select.

What to do?

4. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    I thought that there was some sort of valve to prevent something like that from happening, but every time I've disconnected a fuel hose, f.x. when I replaced the filter/regulator, when I was replacing the short stubs to the carburetors, when we pulled the transmission - every time gasoline simply gushed out. Obviously under the car is a lot lower than the tank, but in the engine compartment? I tried holding the hose up higher, but that didn't help either.

Maybe I have a weird car. Seems that way sometimes! ;-)

5. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Sorry William,

electrics are not my strong suite. If it's not the same as the original, that just makes everything more complicated. Do you have an automotive electrician you could consult with?

I hope at least you find the fuse for the main pump. I'm pretty sure it's in the Tedel 101 box.

6. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    #581 Quattroporte3, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    One of my handles is busted, the clamp ring broke right off.

I've inquired at the usual places for a replacement, but everything that's available looks pretty shabby, with pitting/scarring and lots of scratches. As you can see mine aren't perfect, but look much better than any of the others I've seen so far.

If anyone has a spare, or knows where to get one, please let me know. I only need one, but would like to buy 2 so I have a spare.

Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Thestash

Thestash Karting

May 8, 2011
    Wappingers Falls, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony Pistachio
    The only way that can happen is if a pump is stuck on but that can't be.
    Maybe loosen the gas cap to relieve some pressure in the tank? I'm trying anything here...

8. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    The Biturbo inside handle is the same. I had a broken one on my QPIII, bought a Biturbo one from Ebay and have verified that it is identical. At the moment I can't see any of either type on Ebay, though.

9. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Thanks for the tip - that really makes it easier to find the part, as there were a lot more Biturbos built than QP3s!

10. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Obviously the car is turned off when I disconnect a fuel line...

I could try the cap, but would expect the tank to hold a vacuum, not pressure, after being driven. No?

11. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    No I don't and ALSA have "gone off" assisting with non-painting. I think all your extra work or someone else's has put them off. I can understand that though. So I need to find someone near them (the boonies as we say in Canada). I have asked if they have an electrician they recommend that can take it on. I am not happy with the shop that did the earlier work as they went crazy billing. You are fortunate to have the skills to do work yourself.

12. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    I have a few extras somewhere. Any I got from Joedro needed replating. There were some listed for Biturbo and MIE had some. Usual sources. We need a repair for these as it is quite common.

Let me know how you make out and if need be I can send one if you send a re-plated one back. Let me know and I will check sources also.

13. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Quattroporte3..

I had the same issue with one of my interior handles.. I compared it against my Biturbo
    (2-door coupe) and they were NOT the same.. You may have to find either a 425 or 430
    Biturbo, both these were 4 door cars.. They might be the same, I don't know.. I will verify later, but if I recall the Biturbo 2-door
    interior handles were longer!

Mike

14. Thestash

Thestash Karting

May 8, 2011
    Wappingers Falls, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony Pistachio
    Agreed. The pump just can't be running. I disconnected my battery in case some knucklehead (me) turns the key on.
    Maybe. Also maybe after parking a cold tank in a warm garage the contents in the tank gets slightly pressurized as it warms up?

15. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    Oops! Mike's right. I hadn't actually installed this one yet, just held it in the empty opening on the door panel and it looked fine. The bigger problem is that the splines are different. So, now we're both looking for another handle, but my son has a spare for his 430! Sorry for the confusion.

16. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #591 Mexico074, Dec 3, 2013
    Attached you will see a Biturbo 2-door coupe (1985) interior door handle and a QPIII interior
    door handle.. The shorter one is the QPIII door handle, the longer from the Biturbo..
    As GLB indicates, and although it is hard to see on the picture, the splines are different!

17. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    last QP 3 had a five speed! saving that for myself

18. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #593 Mexico074, Dec 3, 2013
    William...

One more think to check before you replace your fan unit.. Attached is a picture
    of a resistor pack, mostly likely attached to your cooling fans at the front of the car..
    This is the case on my 1982 car...

I have it from a very good and reliable source that this gives the heater and A/C
    blower motor the different speeds... Resistance means heat, hence the coils are
    located in a protective cage behind the cooling fans... My understanding is the
    blower motor is a simple two wire motor and the resistors control the speed..
    You might want to check the condition of this thing!

Hope this helps...

Mike

19. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Thanks for the Biturbo tip - 15 minutes too late, I just hit the "Buy It Now" button for a pair of Biturbo handles on eBay :-/

Oh well, I guess I can put them right back up for sale when I get them.

Is re-chroming a beater one a realistic alternative?

20. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Really? Because of me? The only electrics I had done was installing the Daniel Stern lighting kit. Everything else was body, mechanical and one item of interior/trim.

I did get the impression that the auto electrician wasn't easy to get a hold of and was pretty busy, so it may have been something that's been building up over time.

I wish the electrician had been available, because my starting problems are much worse now than when I delivered the car! Not their fault, but I paid his mechanic to look at it and fix it. In his defense, it is an intermittent problem and he did a brilliant job with all the other things I asked him to sort.

It's not that I have skills, it's more that I don't have money to pay other people to do it for me ;-). That's always a great motivator to learn to do stuff myself! Plus I actually enjoy working on cars, so for me it's a win win situation, as long as I don't get too far into really difficult stuff.

21. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    You can back out online. May risk a complaint. Or you can ask the seller.

22. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Can you tell me where I would get one of these???

23. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Quattroporte3...

It might be a good alternative to have an old beater interior door handle re-chromed..
    It would depend on the cost, obviously... I have always heard, but cannot verify, that
    motorcycle shops sometimes deal with re-chromers for their small parts vs. going to
    a full-fledged bumper re-chrome shop.. Something maybe to check into... If you do
    check into this, let us know what you find!

One other idea, although not necessarily a good one, is to make the top part (visible in
    the door) as smooth as possible, and try a chrome spray paint... Not sure how this would
    come out, but might be feasible.. Just a thought... Keep us informed on what you do!

Mike

24. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    William...

I am not sure where one of these resistor packs can be bought.. I would think that other
    Italian cars of the era (Alfa, Lancia, Fiat, maybe Ferrari, etc..) might have used something
    similar.. Might want to check some of those sources, besides the usual Maser sources..

If other cars used them, a usable one might also be found at a scrapyard, who knows!!!
    Besides the surface rust, mine seems to be in half-decent shape!

Before hunting for a replacement, I would check all connections, wiring, and the fan speed
    selector switch.. Look also at the coils in the resistor pack and see if anything looks out
    of sorts there. There could be something lurking in any one of these items!!

If the fan itself is working on at least one speed, there is a very good possibility it is one
    of the items mentioned above...

Mike

25. qp400i

qp400i Karting

Jun 17, 2011
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Igino
    Interested to hear that because I am also looking for a complete set.