F512M Market | FerrariChat

F512M Market

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by markmoon, Dec 8, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Interested in soliciting any informed opinions on the current F512M market. I think I have a reasonably good idea, but I appreciate any input. I am thinking about $180-$210k for a low mile ( under 10,000) with recent major.

However, I am looking at a red/tan car with 5,600 miles, major done April 2013 with an asking price of $235k. I used to own an M and very much want to get one, but their asking price seems at least $25k too high. Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance.

2. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I think it is high. Just bought a mint 512M red/black with 18,000 kms (11,500 miles or so) for 105,000 EUR. It needed belts and a big service, so lets call it 112,000 EUR all-in. That's $150,000 approx.
    I would probably pay a bit more for a 5,000 mile car, but not a lot…Lets call it $160k…

These are European prices of course…

I agree this is a great car to buy right now… last mid engined 12-cylinder, limited to 501 cars and still good value for what it is

3. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    But the US market is different. They are willing to pay a clear premium for the fact that only 75 cars were made for the North American market ...

4. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Agreed. Just trying to see where I should be on my offer. BTW, you helped me years ago on this site as my M had its plaque indicating what # out of 75 it was removed by the previous owner. With your help, I found out it was #1!! Should have never sold it.....such is life.

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    IF it is a real U.S. version .... is it ? But stil rediculous pricing ... you can get a 458 for that ...

6. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It is #57/75. I agree with you on pricing, but I am old enough now and have been through 10 Ferraris, to appreciate the older, more analog cars. I have an Alonso Edition 599. Fastest Ferrari I've owned including my Scuderia. Cannot imagine more power. I have test pipes and driving it makes me feel it is almost too fast to enjoy ( at least on the road). I had a 1986 Testarossa, a 1992 512TR ( totaled it on the track :-( ) and a F512M. It was the only one I regret letting go. So much for rationality :)

7. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    They are getting more expensive, for reference I have (No 52 / 75) U.S car and its residing in Kuwait.

8. chevalcabre

chevalcabre Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Steve Maman
    Is your car yellow ?

9. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Red

10. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    #10 Testarossa Lover, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My buddy purchased 20/75 for thousands less than what I offered from the seller. He made a great buy. Here is a picture of her parked next to my TR.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    #59/75 was totaled in Seattle, Washington a few years ago and #72/75 was converted into the "slutmobile". Which is as good as totaled.

Joe

12. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I disagree with the above assertion about the "Slutmobile". It is subjective.

I Think the OP is close.

We do not know why or when markets change. These cars are rare though. In this context of rare.

13. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    I already thought that your name sounded familiar, but I had no time to look it up yet! ;)

I've seen more US version F512Ms sold at around 200K. But I agree that 235 is indeed a bit too high, 210 would indeed be more reasonable. But if you already regret selling your previous one, I just hope that you won't also regret skipping this one, even if the price is a bit on the high side ... If the car is right (maintenance, condition, colours, etc.) it might still be worth it ...

14. deichenb

deichenb Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Full Name:
    David
    Perhaps the now-cliche adage of relatively rare cars with increasing values applies: the seller says, "Price is firm, go find another."

15. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    512Ms don't last long and I am sure it will easily sell in short order at or near asking price if it is a prime example. There are plenty of buyers out there who buy cars like a pair of shoes and ~$200k+ is minimal significance when they have bought $500-$1M cars, just like the right $20k perceived overpriced car is nothing for someone that buys $100k cars.

16. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Guess I should not have hesitated. Car sold.

17. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Sorry to hear you potentially missed out. If he was truely firm on his price he definately got top dollar and potentially set a new market high benchmark for 512Ms. I am sure similar cars will match the price and keep ratching up prices on the other remaining roadable 75 cars.

I keep telling similar buyers in the 512M market that if it meets what you're looking for dont hesitatem, because it will be gone before you know it. Typically as mentioned before they are gone within 30-days of hitting the market.