Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918 | Page 184 | FerrariChat

Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by mpowered, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    So...apart from the P1 Nring talk..anyone knows if the laferrari is production ready? Are they done with testing??

2. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I think they will be done when the last one is delivered to it's very patient costumer.

3. pshep138

pshep138 Formula 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The Midwest
    From what I've read here, a black one has already been delivered to a customer in Italy.

4. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    Marchettino is saying the same thing on his Facebook page.

5. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Is it likely that Ferrari will take a leaf out of McLaren's book and continue to develop LaFerrari over the next number of years, subsequently offering software and performance upgrades to existing owners?

6. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    That's very disappointing. -1000 for Porsche.

7. Floyd

Floyd Karting

Apr 30, 2009
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Jan
    #4582 Floyd, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    I do understand your point. And basically you are right. But:

- For sure I believe them when they say they did. It's ridiculous to say they're lying. They are no 10 year old boys saying "My father can drive faster than yours!". (Okay nowadays we experience the opposite every single day, but I still have some confidence in people saying things... it's not their most important goal, so why lying?)

- All these tests on the Ring and the 'records' (for street legal cars) were done originally form "sport auto", a German magazine, they were the ones that assured to have at least mostly similar conditions and drivers (the chief editor), to make this stuff credible. While they should have (had) some kind of 'official' proof, the only proof that WE had was the published "Supertest" in the magazine.

Porsche is testing on the Ring for decades, the whole purpose of the Ring was testing as the 'First Mountain-, Race- and Testtrack'. Long enough Porsches best driver on the Ring was Walter Röhrl, not just anybody.

But even Porsche was never going to the Ring claiming "Breaking some records". The Carrera GT just did it then in the "Supertest". This whole record claiming stuff was just getting more important since smaller companies like Koenigsegg, Pagaini, Gumpert or the Japanese competitiors (and freaks...) realized the whole stuff was important to marketing their products. The market was getting tighter (more competitors) and bigger (more money) the same time.

Additionally everyone was playing Gran Turismo and watching video on YouTube.

That's why McLaren did what they did. And the way they did it, claiming the P1 "fastest ever production car on a racing circuit", laping the Ring in less than seven minutes, was a nonstarter when Porsche came and just did it.

Now they try to save their face. With the wrong ideas. Too bad. Still absolutely great car.

8. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    Yes but Sport Auto was an outside source.
    Not someone claiming something they did internally and saying. See I told you so.

Right now Mac is the 10 year old until proven otherwise PRIOR TO GOING BACK to the ring.

P1 is a cool car I've never disagreed with that.

9. Floyd

Floyd Karting

Apr 30, 2009
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Jan
    Well, for what it's worth, it shows at least something: That, if the whole blah-blah before and afterwards wouldn't have happened, the statement of McLaren regarding the competition wouldn't be wrong.

This whole record hunting (at the Ring) is getting serious dangerous. The three sub-seven rounds from Porsche where done from three racing drivers (Röhrl [66 years!], Kluck, Lieb). Maybe the ones that know the Ring best.

When Bellof did his 'non-official' 6.11 on May 28th 1983 in 956.007 in the training, he was also nailing the 'official' 6.25 one day later in the race – and short afterwards he was flying away at Pflanzgarten – miraculously he survived.

Part of these lap times now from 918, P1 is an insane amount of effort in technology and I can't see where this should lead on to. Great stuff, but I think they should stop this now.

10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    ???

We ran 6:51's lap after lap for 24 hours as did many others without any serious incidents at all.

While Racing is more dangerous than Meditation as The Aston Driver who was killed at Le Mans found out, it's a lot safer than it was when Enzo was indicted for murder when one of his cars killed spectators at the MM and more importantly it improves the breed and the cars we all drive.

Stephen's time is apples to potatoes. The Ring was in MUCH better shape then and could be run at MUCH lower ride heights. There's a HUGE difference between a car that can run at 2.5 inches and the 4.5 inches we run today. Stephen also had a tow/train from Jackie in an identical car which made a big difference as well.

McLaren clearly told me at the Factory they were going to build 500 P1's. When the demand wasn't there and the time came where they had to order components they scaled back to 375.
    Spinning that as anything but demand for 500 wasn't there is a joke. Spinning McLaren's "of course we did" video into the P1 is stellar at the Ring is another joke. P1 was FAR from planted. Watch the BMW video again. That is what a fast, planted car at The Ring looks like.
    Nice save by Chris but a save is what is was.

All of these are great cars and more than enough for most of us. That said Ron sold tickets for a play he couldn't produce and the fan boy spin has looped FAR off of the course.

11. Floyd

Floyd Karting

Apr 30, 2009
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Jan
    I know that.

- But a race car is regarding saftey configuration something completely different than street cars like the 918 or P1, regardless of the carbon cell.
    - You won't deny that racing is dangerous.
    - I'm not questioning racing, but record hunting, because you can't deny that at some point it's getting more risky.
    - There is a reason why the industry doesn't like spotters when your prototype crashes...
    - I just pointed out, that if the motivation of the McLaren statement wasn't that smelly, the message wouldn't be that wrong...

I didn't say anything different. Their communication failed completely.

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Many, many manufacturers regularly test at The Ring at speed and their cars are better for it. P1, La Ferrari and 918 are perfectly safe to drive at speed on the Ring and Ferrari, McLaren and Porsche all have and will continue to test and drive at speed at the Ring. Those who do so in record time will trumpet that fact and those that don't will either not mention it or issue silly statements that "of course" they have.

918's time definitely helped sales and that's why they went there and documented their 6:57.

Ferrari doesn't need to prove anything to sell out their La Ferrari production and have acted accordingly.

Ron's boast remains a boast and McLaren's spin remains spin no matter how many fan boys claim it's not.

13. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    #4588 qwertstnbir, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Kudryavchik

Kudryavchik Karting

Dec 15, 2012
    I believe only Porsche has CF subframes... both LF and P1 use conventional AL

15. Argosy

Argosy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2013
    Porsche used all carbon subframes on Carrera GT also. It is said that even Horacio Pagani was very impressed by that, as I believe even Paganis use conventional subframes, Huayra included.

16. Wtdoom

Wtdoom Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Agartha
    Full Name:
    WT Doom
    #4591 Wtdoom, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
    I'm sorry but you are way out there mate .

Porsche used sport auto as witnesses and used the same company that times the vln to time and video ( wige solutions ).

You are also wrong about the ( what you refer to as) distorting facts .
    The small section at the beginning/end of the lap is an area known as T13 (or Tribune 13) which is where a stand is placed for the F1 race on the left. On the right is the old pits, which are used for the industry pool testing days. These pits are private unlike the very public entry/exit/cafe area used for Tourist days on the main straight.

The section through T13 is naturally very slow, since it has a very slow entry corner past armco and the exit of the small straight is the first corner (a tight left-hander). This is therefore a very good place for cars to enter and exit on the industry test days, which is what they do. So the timed lap as reported by manufacturers and Sport-Auto is set just past the last corner. The lap starts just before the first corner. The approximate 200 metres between the two is therefore never timed. This is industry standard .

I recommend looking into things a little before "plugging your article" :)

17. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I have met Ron Dennis and can say that he is a perfect gentleman. He is kind and generous and goes out of his way to make you feel welcome.

And that is why it pains me to say that you are correct, Napolis. Something is not right at McLaren, and what they are doing is pure spin. My gut feeling is that they added all the best sector times or they verified certain parts of the track time on a simulator. And using all that 'spin' they make the claim--in passive voice and in answer to a question--that they broke 7 minutes?

I hate to say it but all the subtleties and indirect statements are just too cumulative to ignore.

Is it all that hard to say, "We ran a lap under 7 minutes."? And their refusal to do so is telling.

And, for the record, I love the look of the P1. It looks great, as does the 918. Both are superior to LAF in styling, in my opinion.

18. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    #4593 Lone Wolf, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    so you are implying that the P1 isn't fast enough to go under 7 minutes? even though they said it did? think about how that doesnt make sense given other cars lap times. you are all over-analyzing this situation.

McLaren work on their own time, and will publish an official time when/if they feel like it. they are F1 constructors not Porsche boy-toy racers. LaFerrari will never post a lap time either. LaFerrari is taking forever to be delivered and tested as well.

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #4594 Napolis, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    LaFerrari is officially in production, first cars delivered this week. They released production line photos today......

21. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    No, Mac live in la la land. speaking of F1, how did it go for them recently? Yep, a disaster...a la P1. Latest promo video is stupid getting stupider. I am a fan of Sarah Brightman though, so it wasn't a complete waste of my time watching it. Calling Porsche 'boy toy racers'? Silly.

22. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Jim Porsche had that on track at Sebring after 7:30pm Sunday night when we finished the HSR racing weekend. That Porsche is wicked fast and sounds great!

23. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    McLaren who made all these bold claims will now only give a time if they feel like it and Porsche are boy-toy racers? You can't be serious..??

And LaFerrari is taking forever to be delivered? The car was shown to the world for the first time in March and as of the first week in December a number of owners have already received their cars, so what the hell are you talking about?

Truly idiotic post Lone Wolf.

24. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    Porsche is a mass market car. the McLaren is the drivers choice. LaFerrari is for posers.
    this is obvious.
    and whats truly idiotic is this whole thread and the collective psyche of 99% of the people on it who cant even dream of affording any of these cars much less ever having the skills to drive them anywhere near their intended limits.

25. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    yeah, thats cool. like comparing my 911 to my F12

prototypes arent exactly f1 cars now are they big boy?