Gold Connector Kit | FerrariChat

Gold Connector Kit

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jgmblair, Dec 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Am in the midst of doing the kit and have replaced some of the obvious connectors as per the manual. Have done a bit of a search but have not been able to find some nice pictures of the not so obvious connections. Would be very helpful to have a quick and easy pictorial adjunct to the written manual.

Pretty sure this is not together in one thread so wondering if its possible to make one thread showing pictures of all of the following connections.

The manual sensor list includes
    Engine management sensors
    2 position
    Air Pump Sensor
    Diff Pressure Switch
    Crank Sensor 1-6
    Crank Sensor 7-12
    Cold start injector 1-6
    Cold start injector 7-12
    Aux. Air Valve 1-6
    Aux Air Valve 7-12
    H2O Temp (NTC)
    Thermal Time Switch
    3 Position
    Barometric Switch 1-6
    Barometric Switch 7-12
    Throttle Pot.
    Valley Bridge Connector
    7 Position
    Igniter 1-6
    Igniter 7-12

TR 02 Sensor Heaters
    2 position
    O2 Sensor heater 1-6
    O2 Sensor heater 7-12

TR ignition computer
    25 position Terminal Header

TR jetronic computer
    25 postion
    Terminal header 1-6
    Terminal header 7-12

Barometric/Relay
    24 position
    Large male plug
    Large female plug
    9 position
    Small male plug
    Small female plug

Fenderwell plugs
    9 position
    4 position

2. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    I haven't started mine yet, but this thread would be incredibly helpful indeed!

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Very good objective !!!

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Indeed a noble undertaking, but complicated, as this TR connector list varies by TR engine family. Knowing the source, this is the US version list (and the US version didn't vary in this area with model year like the euros). I can guarantee that pictures of all those items have been previously posted on FChat -- but that's your homework ;)

The strategy of the ListWriter may have been to just convey general component/positional information to a US-based English-1st-language person (and it's fine for that), but using slightly different descriptions would be more accurate technically (and survive translation better IMO).

"air pump sensor" = there's no sensor in this system, maybe "air pump electric clutch" or "air pump electromagnetic clutch"

throttle pot. = absolutely the best "generic" description for a layman, but there's no potentiometer in this item on a TR -- it's a multi-function switch (F picked the description "throttle microswitch")

barometric switch 1-6 (and 7-12) = no switch in this system. "Barometric sensor" (but F went with "Barometric capsule" since there's more to it than just an analog sensor inside).

(Just trying to point out some of the difficulty in making such technical-based Lists and item descriptions. F didn't always pick the greatest English language descriptions for things, but, once they picked a name, you can tell that they tried to always use the exact same name throughout the technical documentation.)

5. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    #5 jgmblair, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks for the comments Steve and I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel, just thought it might save someone some time in doing some of the homework ;)
    Funny you mention the barometric switch as this is what lead me to leave the garage last night and sit back down at the computer. It took 30 minutes to confirm the 3 position Barometric switch being referenced in the manual was the connection to the Barometric Capsule located in the right rear fender well. I was hopeful others might look at the list and post a picture or reference the parts diagrams and do what you have done in correcting the terminology! Would have saved me 30 minutes last night ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Greetings.. send me a PM with your phone number. I installed the kit on my TR and was one of the test mules for Dave Helms.. I can answer and assist to the best of my ability.. Plus I have some really good tips..

R

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what and where please is a barometric switch on a TR with a KE-jetronic???

8. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    There are two of them. They are attached to the black box under the rt quarter panel. Where your round harness plugs into. It's easier to remove box as they are mounted to the outside of the box.

R

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I don´t had such switches and never have seen at a TR with KE jetronic, a KE-jetronic needs no barometic switch. or is there an other word for a barometric switch? what part number in the spare parts catalog is it? page please.

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #10 Steve Magnusson, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    Items 2 here:

Ferrari Testarossa (1990) Parts : Table 12 - ELECTRIC CONTROLS FOR KE - JETRONIC AND EXHAUST

Only used on US and late CH TR (KE-Jetronic with Lambda); not used on early euro (K-Jetronic without Lambda) nor late euro (KE-Jetronic without Lambda) -- even though the late euro TR does have a "black box" (no barometric capsules and three relays inside) similar to the black box (with barometric capsules and five relays inside) on US TR that Robbie mentioned. Can't find a photo of them on a US TR, but this US OM illustration shows the barometric capsules (items I) mounted to the outside of the rearward wall of the black box:

edit: a portion of one of the barometric capsules can just be seen on the right in this photo:

11. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    #11 jgmblair, Dec 23, 2013
  12. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    #12 jgmblair, Dec 23, 2013
  13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you steve for explanation.

now I know why I never have seen those switches before on a TR :)

14. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #14 302Tim, Dec 24, 2013
    If you are also doing the 9 & 22 pin male connectors it's the ONLY way to do it...

Best of luck with your kit, take your time and do a little at a time.

15. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Hey Tim,

Had a great talk with Robbie the other day and would seem that the advise from those who have done this upgrade has been consistent with everyone reinforcing taking your time to do this. I had originally thought I would plow through this during the winter and get ready for the spring but Robbie had advised doing a few connectors at a time then starting the car to see if you still have a functional car! Seems so logical! I have done a few connectors and things are very straight forward will take a break a continue after the holidays. I still think a picture says a thousand words so will continue to take pictures as i go.