The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread | Page 50 | FerrariChat

The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by NürScud, Dec 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
  3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Totally and completely agree.

I'm waiting for Michael to take that ceremonial stand on a podium again at an F1 race and everyone gets a chance to say how thankful they are he recovered.

4. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #1229 finnerty, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    I am all for it for kids --- age 4 to 10, or so (depending upon size & maturity). But, for adults, while I would never say to anyone, "Do not wear one".....I do not wear one. The odds and risks are completely bassakwards as opposed to say wearing one while auto racing or riding a motorcycle (which only a fool would not do).

I believe (and have seen first hand too many times) that maximizing the ability to avoid an accident on the slopes has greater benefit over compromising that ability and trying to protect yourself (with a helmet) against the highly improbable "lightning strike" of a significant head-impact accident.

And, FWIW, this is the opinion I have impressed upon my own daughter, who stopped wearing a helmet at the age of 9 ---- once she was large enough to not be an "invisible, rag doll target" to adult skiers and was competently skilled enough and mature enough to be vigilantly cautious while skiing.

What happened to MS is a 1-in-a-million (or more) chance ---- but, getting seriously banged up by some nimrod slamming into you because he / she is skiing out of control and you did not see or hear them well enough to get out their way...... that event is more like a 1-in-a-hundred (or less) chance.

5. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Ok. I mostly agree with you.

I roller skate actually and wear a full suite of pads but not a helmet. So I understand where you are coming from on nearly every point (about negligent and/or inexperienced people coming at you at random angles). I know what I'm doing but many others do not. And they are the dangers above most.

But I personally would not ski un-helmeted. All it takes is the alleged "one in a million" event and you're life is over--all for what? To have a few hours of fun? These random and freak and impossible events killed Sonny Bono, Michael Kennedy, and Natasha Richardson--with helmets.

So they're not as infrequent as I am gathering from your tone. I think if you're skiing un-helmeted you're asking for a epidural hematoma. I respect your views but can't get all excited about un-helmeted skiing.

6. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I would recommend wearing a helmet when skiing. Especially if you go fast or go into the trees. Or look at it as protection when you get hit by the other guy. Why take a chance?

Man, that "permanent comma" statement leaves me in knots. What a horrible thought. Hoping and praying it doesn't come true.

-F

7. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #1232 finnerty, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    I perfectly appreciate someone's choice to wear a helmet, and I think if one feels more comfortable with a helmet on --- then they should wear one.

But, I gotta say it seems like a contradiction in your own reasoning to me as for the skating helmet-less. Assuming it's just a typical fall (no collision with another person or an object) I'd rather hit my head on soft (even hard-pack is forgiving) snow than smack it on, what I assume, are the very hard surfaces you are skating on. :)

Hell, I once slipped and fell while ice skating, bonked my helmet-less noggin on the ice, and knocked myself out for a few seconds :).

Granted, much higher speeds can be attained in skiing, so if you hit something --- you can hit it harder ---- but, that is still a matter of being within your control.

I gather that because you are an accomplished skater, you feel safer, and more in control, while skating than you do while skiing ? ---- so, that makes sense. But, that is also my point for not needing one while I ski :).

Trust me (or you can go hunt it out for yourself on the web) that the injury data reported for skiing (and it is diligently and accurately recorded in the US) pertaining to the frequency of serious head injuries supports the numbers I made reference to ---- it just does not happen as often as you might think. That may be surprising to many, but it is the fact nonetheless.

You mention 3 (and MS makes 4) incidents that involve very well known people --- so their accidents were widely publicized, which makes it seem more prevalent perhaps. But, factor those 3 US (although Natasha's was actually in Canada) occurrences, which did not even happen in the same year, against the nearly 60,000,000 skier-days logged annually in the US, and the percentage is beyond trivial ---- we're talking "odds of winning the lotto" kind of numbers here.

Also, FTR --- Kennedy was not really skiing. He and a group of friends were horsing around playing "football on skis" --- whatever the hell that means. The upshot is that, IMO, they were being reckless, and I do not attribute his accident to the natural risks of skiing.

And, Bono, had a very high BAL when he crashed ---- so does that mean skiing is dangerous ?? Or, does it mean that skiing while you are hammered drunk is dangerous ?? I don't classify that one as a "skiing accident" per se, either. (I've seen people fall down walking and get badly hurt when they were drunk ;))

8. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Yes, when you don't use them as intended it can be rather dangerous:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8OFckLqd0Q]Ski Flipping Showoff Results in Broken Bus Window - YouTube[/ame]

Hopefully a bit of levity for this miserable thread.

>8^)
    ER

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Guys can we please refrain from putting up sources that are there simply to speculate? Only official updates from the management or doctors, not speculative **** from tabloid agencies with the need to create a headline because they spoke to AN doctor, but who has never seen anything to do with MS's case.

Helpful topics are of course welcome, such as Gary Hartstein's contributions which translates doctor talk into stuff that we can understand.

10. Fiorano57

Fiorano57 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 23, 2010
  11. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Good points.

Sure. We tend to feel more in control of our own habitual areas of practice. I skate indoors but would wear a helmet outdoors. And I wear a helmet biking. Nobody indoors wears a helmet when skating but that of course doesn't mean it shouldn't be worn. Not even olympic ice skaters wear helmets. But I see your point and it is a good one.

I believe you.

Yes I see the myth versus reality side of things. I think I'm still emotionally reactionary to this whole turn of events because the outcome was so unfair, ironic, and seemingly random. I'm not denying the statistics but I am spooked. To that, I would never ski un-helmeted. And if I did I would not go off-piste unless I was walking through it. But again, I'm being emotionally reactionary.

What makes this so bizarre, furthermore, is that Schumacher prided himself in being "in complete control" when interviewed about his mode of focus and success in F1. The one in ten million chance that he, of all people, would meet such a fate is horrifically mind boggling and difficult to reconcile. Do you know what I'm saying?

12. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Pretty pathetic that media outlets post this stuff to get a few clicks and fulfill their quotas for the day, but with everyone desperate for a Schumacher update, this is what we get!

13. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I heard a whisper that he is somewhat conscious! Really hoping there is some truth to this.

14. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    That would be great news, holding out hope.

15. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Latest update from Sabine....not a ton of insight but there is no decline at least.

Schumacher stable, according to latest update
    3 minutes ago
    AP - Sports

FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) -- Michael Schumacher's manager says the former Formula One champion remains in stable condition following a skiing accident that left him with severe head injuries and in a coma since Dec. 29.

The statement from manager Sabine Kehm does not mention the word ''critical'' for the first time since describing the seven-time champion's condition.

Schumacher has been in an induced coma in a Grenoble hospital since the Dec. 29 crash in the French Alps.

Kehm says that ''Michael's family is very happy and confident with the work of the team of doctors treating Michael, and they trust them completely. Michael's condition is still considered as stable.''

16. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Wow that was fast, that's exactly what I heard. His condition no longer critical, but I also heard he has been 'in and out'.

17. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    In and out gives some hope. Particularly at this point in the process

18. Blue@Heart

Blue@Heart F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Full Name:
    David
    Why is that? Not doubting you, trying to understand.

19. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    The dropping of the word 'critical' is at least a little hopeful.

I guess, but am sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon, that 'in & out' means just that; He's starting to wake up!....

Come on Michael! Godspeed.

Ian

20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Exactly what we have here, first official news since Jan 6th. Not much, but official nevertheless.

L'état de santé de Schumacher toujours jugé "stationnaire" - La Libre.be

Sabine Kehm has been asked about the redaction of the communiqué, which, for the first time, does not use the expression "critical", and has simply replied: "I have nothing else to add to this communiqué".

21. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Your the man on the ground Nerfor. Thanks for keeping us up to date. Enjoy your weekend and drive safe. :)

22. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Statistics have shown that coma patients have a much better chance of recovery if they wake up within the first two weeks. Thereafter it gets more rare that the outcome is positive.

Of course each case is different but going by a rule of thumb.

23. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    Where is there a report of him being in and out?

24. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    No report published. I have some MB team assets that hear things which are at times just unconfirmed rumors, sometimes right sometimes not. What's funny is 10 minutes later Sabine made a statement, she just didn't add this which may or may not be true. What's important though is he is not critical, so that much of what I heard has been confirmed thankfully.

25. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    ;)

I told it off in no uncertain terms, but it didn't seem to care! :p

Cheer,
    Ian