F430 Spider: Capristo vs Tubi vs FabSpeed vs Larini vs Kreissig? Valves or No Valves? | FerrariChat

F430 Spider: Capristo vs Tubi vs FabSpeed vs Larini vs Kreissig? Valves or No Valves?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Treviso, Jan 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #1 Treviso, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    I have a 2008 F430 Spider and I am very interested in swapping out my original exhaust system from the Headers back (headers, cats, & muffler). I would like to hear from aftermarket exhaust owners owning f430s. Please describe the sound and how loud the system is. My car is a Spider and I want to make sure I don't get any annoying drone sounds at certain RPMs. Also, most of my driving is local zooming...no long weekend type trips where I am driving 500 miles/day. I like it loud, but I don't want to get a headache everytime I am in the car with the top down. I don't know if these systems are that "type" of loud?

Capristo vs Tubi vs FabSpeed vs Larini vs Kreissig? Sound quality? Any others to consider?

Valves or no Valves? Will these systems be too loud on a Spider without valves? For example, is the Capristo racing muffler without valves louder than the twin sound muffer running wide open? Also, which system will impart more overall HP and Torque? An experienced F mechanic in my area said to keep things as simple as possible...in other words, no valves. Has anyone had problems with aftermarket valves?

I talked to my local F dealer and asked them and, surprisingly, they said that they haven't done any aftermarket exhaust system installs at all! I was shocked since so many of you out there have mods on your cars. I don't know if I want to be the first one they do? Please advise.

Thank you, in advance.

P.S. I never use the radio in these cars...so that is not an issue for me. The music these cars make is enough for me!

2. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    This whole area is so subjective that it's very difficult to offer advice other than to try and see/hear as many different systems as you possibly can.

If you're going to change out the whole system and price is not an issue I would recommend Capristo with a valved system. You're talking about eliminating cats in the headers as well as changing, if not eliminating, the main cats. That's going to be a noisy system at best I would think. I'd recommend having the option to close valves in order to be able to quieten things down when you need it. I've not heard any chatter about valve failure on the Capristo system.

3. sssdu01

sssdu01 Karting

Dec 25, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Dutton
    Hi

I have capristo headers and twinsound exhaust on my 430 but have retained the factory cat. This still has valves so I also got a remote valve override.

You can feel the extra power, I have no droning/rattling/hissing/horrible noise, in any gear or speed.

Regarding the noise it is a bit more of a throaty/deep/powerfull sound with the valves closed - its difficult to describe but you can almost feel the air being bludgeoned to death inside the engine .....and that's just on tickover !! Once you put your foot down it sounds like a Ferrari should with a crisp but deep throaty and powerfull sound. Its a win win situation for me as I have removed the crappy Ferrari parts and have a better sound that does justice to the car. Yes the capristo kit is expensive but the quality is superb, and the headers do come with a really effective heat blanket.

If you open the valves its just so loud that if anyone is stood behind the car they will jump with the shock, and your neighbours wont like you. I do like some noise but valves open all the time is to much for regular use for me, but its great for the occasional blast, but the right place and time.

The silencer is easy to fit, but for the headers it needs to go into a workshop on a ramp and I think the mechanics undid the rear gearbox mounting as dropping it a little made it easier to fit. Any Ferrari dealers or good independent should be able to do this with their eyes shut.

My car is a coupe and the sound levels inside the car are fine just a bit more of a sporty noise but not so much that you cant have a conversation. Not sure what it would be like on a spider with the roof down.

I would strongly recommend listening to any system before you commit to buy. Stand behind, listen from inside, listen as it goes past under power. This will help you decide if its what you want.

I listened on you tube etc to several systems, but in real life the sound is just so different so I would ignore anything you hear on the net.

I asked around to see if anyone near me had a capristo and the independent who fitted it for me told me that one of their customers had a capristo silencer and put me in touch, so I was able to listen to the silencer. It sounded good so I initially got the twin sound silencer and fitted it myself. I was so impressed with the quality, that I just went and ordered the headers as well.

Simon

4. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I am getting the feeling that more 430 owners have kept their exhaust systems stock rather than swapping them out for aftermarket systems. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

5. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You might try searching YouTube. There are dozens of clips of aftermarket exhausts on 430's and 360's. That way you might get an idea of what you like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    I like the option of being quiet. I think besides the extra weight, the OEM exhaust is quite good. *EXCLUDING the headers (aka exhaust manifold)

My vote is just to replace the headers.

But if I had a full system, or was looking to buy a 430 with a full (unvalued) system, it would be OK as well. My valves are locked open via the Capristo remote 99% of the time. But during that 1% I am grateful.

Too loud? Thats a matter of taste and the cumulative number of rock concerts and dance clubs you have attended. I like it loud.

7. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Yeah, I like it loud too. Prior to my Ferrari experience, I had a Ford GT with a racing exhaust and that was pretty loud, but really good too:) My Vipers were pretty loud as well, but a very different kind of sound compared to Ferrari. None of my previous cars had the valve option to go quiet/stealth...

8. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    You can't go wrong with Capristo or Tubi. They all sound slightly different so search you tube for the sound you like.

If you like loud Capristo all the way ...

Ps, as for Fabspeed some like and had good experience others no.

9. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm kicking around the idea of doing a full Capristo system on my scud. 40 extra horses and 50 fewer pounds sounds like a nice combination. Drop in a lightweight battery and you're well on your way to cutting 100 lbs.

I've heard online sound clips of the system but that doesn't really tell you much about how loud the system is. Hoping to find someone local to me that has the full system already installed on their car.

10. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hey Dave,
    Would you opt for valves or no valves?

11. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Personally I'd go with valves. Loud can be fun but it's also nice to turn down the volume when you want to. From what I understand, you can control the Capristo valves with a remote to have OEM operation or to be always open. So, it's the best of both worlds.

12. Timpo

Timpo Karting

Jan 4, 2008
    POWER CRAFT

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si0Qy4qkLbU]Power Craft Ferrari F430 Hybrid Exhaust System - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIaIJWDDV7o]Power CraftFerrari F430 SCUDERIA Exhaust System - YouTube[/ame]

13. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1 on stock. I think the stock sound is awesome enough.

14. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    On my 430 Spider, I have:

Capristo headers
    OEM cats
    OEM muffer
    Plugged valves (open all the time)

No drone (the OEM headers with plugged valves had a drone)
    No CEL
    "Puttering" sound at idle gone
    Very loud with top down, but wouldn't have it any other way.

My friend's 430 has Fabspeed headers/OEM cats/Capristo racing muffler. Because the exhaust always runs through the Capristo racing muffler, it's not as loud as mine with plugged valves.

Good luck in your decision!

15. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    That high-pitch sound is nice...any of the vendors sells Powercraft?

16. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Ron,
    I think that your setup with Capristo headers and OEM cats and muffler might be my starting point for modifying my exhaust.
    Rob

17. Joe@Fabspeed

Joe@Fabspeed Karting
    Sponsor

Jul 1, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe Fabiani
    All The factory Ferrari 430 muffler systems included an ingenious vacuum actuated muffler bypass system with exhaust valves. When the valves are opened by a vacuum signal the exhaust flow essentially bypasses the top side muffler given raucous sports car sound and the wow factor at start up.

The real gains in significant horsepower torque and sports car sound is achieved by removing some of the 6 restrictive 700 cell OEM catalytic converters installed by Ferrari.

The factory ferrari 430 headers are 4 into 1 style with a pre catalytic converter jammed into the collector (F360 cars have the same design)

My fabspeed race quality headers eliminate this restriction and can be considered preventative maintenance given the numerous recalls TSBs on f430 oem headers.
    This is actually good upgrade for any and all 430 cars.

For even more power and sports car sound replacing the main left and right 430 catalytic converters are an easy bolt on option. The 430 has two over the axle catalytic converters on each exhaust bank or side.

I manufacture HJS German trimetalic sports racing catalytic converters 200 cells that are the worlds best high performance catalytic converters. I import the catalytic converter cores from Germany and Tig weld these o cnc mandrel bent pipes. Fabspeed headers and sports race catalytic converters really wake up these cars. Our parts will also compliment any Capristo, Tubi and other aftermarket rear muffler system.

Hope you are catching the Rolex 24 at Daytona and rooting for Ferrari to win again. Lat time Ferrari won it was a Momo 333 SP!

18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Rob,
    I agree this is the way to go initially, then later after you hear more stuff you can fine tune.

19. JWD355

JWD355 Karting

Dec 28, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Jordy
    I still don't understand why people change their stock muffler, ok weight saving seems like a legit reason but sound?
    As stated above you'll create a straight pipe like system when you open the valves manually, the muffler is not used at all.

If I would change my muffler I would go for a lighter more quiet one so I could travel in relatively stealth mode on the highway :).

A few weeks ago I've replaced my secondary cats (OEM Headers still in place) with straight pipes and the difference is enormous, way louder and (maybe a bit subjective but) the car feels a lot faster.

So if you want to experiment with the sound of your car;
    1. Capristo Remote Valve Control
    2. Replace Secondary cats with 200 Cells (or nothing at all like me if you don't mind to clear a CEL every now and then).
    3. Capristo Headers

There is no need to do this all at once, I'm at 2 currently and every step puts a bigger smile on your face when you've done it ;).

20. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Maybe I will learn something new today; Where are the 5th and 6th CATs?

I really thought my 2006 F430 had 4x [(L and R header) + (L and R main CAT)]

21. 360blue

360blue Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2007
    Hancock Park
    Full Name:
    adil
    Tubi racing exhaust, period!

22. allen_993

allen_993 Karting

Jul 3, 2006
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Allen
  23. OldSlowpoke

OldSlowpoke Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2012
    Longmont, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I have the following components in my 360:

Fabspeed headers
    ECUs reprogrammed by EuroCustoms Tuning (to eliminate CELs)
    Capristo sport catalytic converters
    Capristo Twin Sound muffler, valved, no remote.

I like the results very much. I don't have to bother with a remote when I want the valves open. When they are closed, the sound is nice but not loud. When you get on the throttle, they open up, and the secondary exhaust path bypasses the muffler altogether. Then it's loud enough for anyone, I would think.

Bill

24. StoneCold

StoneCold Rookie

Sep 14, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Niall
    I'm sure you asked this question about Capristo a few weeks ago on another thread. But in summary:-

1. Definitely Capristo Headers - because OEM are rubbish!
    2. If you want F1 scream get Capristo cats but need simulator to prevent CEL
    3. Get race silencer (not twin sound)
    4. Get valves and set level 2 for closed and level 3 for open. Level 2 makes wonderful sound when valves closed way better than standard but gives your ears a rest when needed!
    5. Valves open all time is very very loud but amazing sound!!
    6. Remove radio - surplus!

Only road legal cars that sound better than that setup is F50 with race exhaust or Zonda!!

25. Timpo

Timpo Karting

Jan 4, 2008
    yeah they're Kreissieg's biggest rival in Japan

here's one for 360 modena
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBalNPD-wM8]Power Craft Ferrari 360 Modena Exhaust System - YouTube[/ame]