The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread | Page 63 | FerrariChat

The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by NürScud, Dec 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thanks for the update....oh man......hating this.

Go Schumi!

2. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
    Small amount of positive news is better than no news. I really hope he continues to make progress.

3. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    I think his fitness training will really pay off in recovering from this. When i had a serious accident the doctor said i would have severely limited arm motion but coming from a bodybuilding background i made everyones jaw drop when they saw me two years later. I was in better shape and nearly as strong as i was pre accident.

4. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    At the risk of getting all preachy here, perhaps there is a valuable life lesson going on with this situation. For all his phenomenal success, adulation, wealth and fame Michael is merely human. He may live in the mansion on the lake, but his recovery is still in the hands of medical personnel, physicians, and a higher power. Most Ferrari fans and owners have a high regard for MS, myself included, and we have come to expect miracles from him. Is there one more on the horizon? I pray that there is, but like a recent poster, I would be over the moon if he could just recover enough to take care of himself and enjoy his family. For all the thrills he has given us, this would be perhaps the greatest.
    An avalanche of positive vibes and best wishes from around the world may ultimately be the greatest measure of Michael Schumacher's life.

5. clayton bigsby

clayton bigsby Karting

Jan 29, 2008
    seattle wa
    Full Name:
    Arby Asatoorians
    Given my condition and what I survived I'm hopeful for Michael. I survived a 6 time rollover and was in a induced coma for over a month. I'm alive to talk about it, doctors also told my parents that they had no idea what condition I was gonna be in when I woke up.

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I agree with you.
    But I'm not going to gainsay anyone else's faith or hope.

7. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Clearly that, imo. It's the writer providing the one-line summary of the preceding story (his version, in this case)

8. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Very well said.

9. Blue@Heart

Blue@Heart F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Full Name:
    David
    Extremely well said.

10. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    if true,its great news,that theres hope,,please get better Mr SCHUMACHER

11. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

Agree 100%

12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The recovery stories are really encouraging :).

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, yes, but I guess we must ready ourselves for a long period without any information whatsoever...

Rgds

14. b4z

b4z Rookie

Apr 28, 2008
    Irish independent news was reporting that the doctors have been doing neurological tests since Monday.

15. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Well said.

16. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    No harm in my/our hoping for the best is there?

(Post #1441)

17. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    update from Gary Hartstein

Stopping the sedation! | A Former F1 Doc Writes

Stopping the sedation!

Let’s be unambiguous about this – the announcement that Michael’s care team is discontinuing his sedation is the news we’ve been waiting for. It’s the first big transition – from acute, life-threatening head injury to subacute recovery. Followed no doubt, let’s not forget, by a chronic rehabilitation phase. But this is wonderful news.

In terms of how this is done, well it’s actually pretty simple. The electronic pumps driving the continuous infusions of the sedative drugs are turned off. That’s it. But doing that means that the people taking care of Michael have a reasonable expectation that he will not exhibit untoward reactions to the “stress” of these medicines being turned off. The most undesirable of these would be elevations in . . . you guessed it . . . intracranial pressure, but to be honest, we’re now more than four weeks post-injury, and I’d rather think that we’re past that.

So what will happen now that this stuff is turned off?

1) It may or may not be true that, in general, French neurointensivists maintain sedation longer than their Anglo-Saxon colleagues. It doesn’t matter. The people taking care of Michael know what they’re doing.

2) while it’s possible that a long-acting drug may well have been used in the early, “suppressive” phase of Michael’s care, it’s quite likely that if so, it’s been replaced with one or more short-acting substances. These usually allow signs of emergence to appear within several hours of stopping the infusions.

3) What actually happens? Well in general, the first attempt to stop sedation usually gets interrupted by something. The patient gets agitated, the blood pressure goes up, the oxygen saturation goes down . . . something. So you turn the sedation back on, let the situation settle down, and then either try again or wait until tomorrow. It often takes a few tries before everything goes the way it should.

How should it go? Well ideally Michael will start to want to breathe, and allow weaning from ventilatory support. And just as important of course he will hopefully start to show meaningful interaction with his environment. Following simple commands, visual tracking, etc.

Now I’ve heard (from unconfirmed sources), unconfirmed reports (double “unconfirmed” should ring alarm bells of course) that Michael has indeed already done this.

I’d love any neurosurgeons to jump in and comment, but if this indeed is true, it is fairly astonishingly good (but indeed totally conceivable) news. So I we need to cross our fingers and hope something like this DOES get confirmed in the future.

Tell you what – let’s not talk about any other alternatives right now, ok, so we keep it positive.

One last thing.

I’ve seen some very heartfelt comments here and there about articles, tv pieces, and blog speculation “hurting” Michael’ family. I wanted to just weigh in for a second.

I’ve been pretty harsh with the tabloid press, and deservedly so. But not because the Daily Mail’s moronity hurts Corinna, Gina Maria and Mick. ARE YOU KIDDING? Could they possibly hurt more? And if so, is it likely to be because of the suffering induced by a British rag? Of course not. I think it’s detestable coz it’s **** “journalism”. I kinda don’t think it’s on Corinna’s reading list, I don’t think their “journalism” could possibly add to their pain, and lastly, Michael’s care team have no doubt been TOTALLY up front with the family. Meaning they have a better idea than any of us of just what the . . . hell . . . is up.

If I thought for a second that anything I’ve written might hurt Michael or his family, I’d not have written it. To be honest, I’ve spoken to you as I’d speak to Michael’s family. I assume you know that, because I think it’s to THAT that you’ve reacted (to my infinite astonishment), more than to the information that I’ve transmitted.

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm afraid I feel much the same, about the "racing" posts.
    They belie the serious life and death struggle we are watching.

He has retired from F1...twice.
    Let him live the rest of his life!

I will hope for a little more than Andreas, and pray he is able to be a husband, and father.
    That will be enough....IMO.

19. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

well said my friend!!

20. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Awesome! Totally agree with what Dr H says about the whole situation, speculation, the ****ing Daily Mail and random blog posts etc!

Let hope he's already starting to respond and breathe etc on his own! :) (I have a sneaking suspicion that's indeed the case, but the family and his doctors want to be left somewhat alone while his recovery continues).

Godspeed Michael
    Ian

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks Pete, a Happy 2014 to you!

22. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I was very cautious about the original news of Schuey being brought out of the induced coma, basically refusing to believe it until his medical team/manager announced it and so I was incredibly happy to hear Sabine confirm the news.

As with others here, I sincerely hope that his recovery is at the very least, enough for him to recognise, appreciate and enjoy his wife and family once more, and to just enjoy the rest of his life in peace and quiet.

I also hope that he recovers well enough to be able to make a trip back to Maranello/Monza one day, not for any silly "getting back in a race car" reasons but to be able to allow his other family:The Tifosi, to show their appreciation of him, and for him to show his appreciation of them!

For Us Tifosi especially, this whole episode has been so upsetting, almost as much as if it had happened to a blood relative or close friend, but in line with Schuey's racing attitude, We've never given up on him winning this one and it will continue that way forever more!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the best recovery possible for Schuey and want him to know that his Tifosi family are behind him all the way!

FORZA SCHUMACHER!

23. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Amen brother.

24. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

We also all know that if anyone can pull thru this, it's him! He's quite simply 'superior' to us mere mortals.....

Godspeed Michael
    Ian

25. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    our world stops in my household whenever there is mention of Michael on the TV, and then a rush to the PC, laptop and tablet for any other news to back up or negate the info coming from the media