This is the new California: The California T. | Page 7 | FerrariChat

This is the new California: The California T.

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by DriveAfterDark, Feb 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    It's an improvement but as someone else said, more evolutionary than revolutionary. I suspect most non-Ferrari people would hardly notice the difference. I like it, but I like the predecessor, too. I'm not sure I agree with those who say it's "way" different. It's different more like a 575 is different from a 550 or a 430 is different from a 360. Only tifosi would readily notice the differences. The overall shape of the exterior is roughly the same. On the interior, there is still a "flying bridge" for the center console and the HVAC controls are grouped in a similar Oscar Meyer wiener-shaped housing.

Did anyone notice the 458-style steering wheel? The wiper and turn signal functions are buttons on the wheel like the 458. Also, there's a separate button for shock settings like on the 458, which I very much appreciate and wish the prior car had. Often there are times when I want to dial the shock settings different from sport mode, e.g. when the road is rough so I want the shocks in normal mode, but the throttle mapping and exhaust to be on sport.

I hope they made the big round tail lights function like they do on a 458 or F12. The small brake lights hidden in the black tail panel on the prior car was one of its worst features.

The added torque of the engine will make the car much more satisfying to drive on city streets, so long as there is no turbo lag, as claimed. Hopefully it will sound nice. 0-60 in 3.6 makes it faster than the present car and most competitors.

It will be interesting to see how it's priced and equipped. Would it be too much to ask for standard cruise control, auto-dimming mirrors, heated memory seats and a garage door opener on a GT car that is meant to be a daily driver or near DD? Those features are standard on most mid-line cars and SUVs. Having them standard would help ensure that all Cali-Ts retain their re-sale value. If you don't make them standard, cars without those features will be ordered and then sit around in the secondary market whilst well-equipped cars sell. The ones sitting around will tend to drag down values.

2. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    an (albeit slight) visual improvement over the California, but that was hardly a tall order.

3. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    Nice to see you back in here....

How is the beautiful Xsara coupe?

4. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Hah! :)

5. fuoco

fuoco Rookie

Feb 21, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    I have always respected your previous comments, but here today don't agree with you at all, I think the Gen 1 Cali is quite gorgeous and last of the Pin design cars having a non Turbo V8 with a design that's aged very well so far. However the 550 Maranello design has aged very badly.

6. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    LOL - you might get stopped at the state line and get arrested for carrying a dangerous weapon. NY state police will know for sure that the new Cal has a cup holder and having TX plates will only mean they know you are wild and free.

I for one like the new Cal, keeps many hints of the older car, yet incorporating features of the direction the FF and F12 have taken.

7. fuoco

fuoco Rookie

Feb 21, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    Agree 100% you're on the money with this

8. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    no idea, sold it years ago.

9. martyb

martyb Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    South County
    Full Name:
    marty b
    Anyone have an order in yet?

10. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I respectfully disagree. Other than the "porky" look, the tailpipes reallyyyyy turned me off. It turned me off the first time I saw them on the IS-F. That was one of the main reasons we got the 430 instead. The front was very bland.

For me it just seems like it wasn't a "Ferrari". But like everyone has said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and at the end of the day its still a Ferrari and not many other people have one.

If I wanted a convertible though, I would probably go with a DB9 out of all those 4. They are beautiful.

11. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yes, ordered a year ago and in the fortunate position of trying to decide if I should trade my F12 in as a swap.

12. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Tim, will they contact you at Geneva to spec out your car ?

13. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    No. I decided to delay my ordere until Aprilish for a number of reasons.

1. If I took one when offered, yet again I would be collecting it from the factory when the passes were shut!
    2. It is a new motor and would like to let others be the guinea pigs
    3. I want to enjoy the F12, not exactly a hardship,
    4. I want to drive it before I decide for sure if I am going to trade down
    5. I will want lots of internal carbon detailing, including the insane Cupholder, and that should come early next year if the normal timeframe is adhered to.

14. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Does anyone have any idea when they are accepting North American orders?

15. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Why not keep them both, if you have the garage space? Without having driven the F12 or new California I suspect the cars will be entirely different personalities. Anyways, I would want a test drive of the turbo engine before commiting to a purchase!

16. rardoin

rardoin Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Lafayette Louisiana
    Full Name:
    R Ardoin
    I was told that I could put a deposit in now for the Cali T with estimated delivery in about 12 months. Salesman said their dealership will be allocated 3 or 4 cars per year and they had 9 in line ahead of me.

17. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Are you going to put down the deposit or will you puchase a 2013-2014 ?

18. rardoin

rardoin Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Lafayette Louisiana
    Full Name:
    R Ardoin
    Not sure yet. I had ruled out the Cali about 3 months ago and bought a new Bentley Conti GT-C V-8 for my wife as a DD. I did not think she would be comfortable in the Cali as a DD and storage space is much less than the Bentley. But...I happened to be in Houston this past weekend and was passing by F of H and decided to stop in just for poops and giggles. Well, as luck would have it, the salesman talks the little lady into a test drive of a gorgeous 2010 Blu Pozzi loaded Cali and she loved it! The hit I would take on the trade of the B car for the 2010 Cali is too much to stomach so I will pass. The salesman offered a spot in line for the usual deposit fee but he did not make mention of the new Cali T. He touched base with me yesterday and gave me the info posted above. I think I will wait a couple of months and put down the deposit and wait on a new build. By the delivery time I will be in a position to keep the Bentley and get the Cali. That is likely to be my path.

19. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    No, not a collector of new cars. I just need a single stablemate for the LM.

20. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    A N/A V12 vs. a TT V8? You already have a TT V8.

21. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    LM? That is an awesome car! My dad had one and loved giving rides to unsuspecting folks!

22. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #172 4th_gear, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As I explained already, the "porky" impression is mostly an optical illusion that many casual observers will experience. I had the same impression when I was deciding to buy my car. The impression is understood as soon as you raise the roof. If you then try to imagine a lower trunk you realize it would ruin the look of the "coupe" alter ego of the car. Now test yourself by looking at the coupes and and imagining them as convertibles… porky rear-ends? :)

At any rate, I respect your opinion but I think you'll end up with a different impression once you have the car in your garage and use it regularly.

Like you, the California front also struck me as bland, especially compared to the Maserati. I also thought it smiled too much like a Mazda. I wasn't keen on it. But I loved the way the car drove and how versatile it was by allowing me to be discrete when I wish to be. After I got the car I started collecting Ferrari trivia and realized the California's front end faithfully captures the front ends of older Fcars. It was more like Mazda was copying Ferrari. As the California is a retro-look Fcar, the rather bland-looking tribute to older Fcars is actually nice because I am more at home with classic Fcar looks than with the hardcore newer models.

I also drove the F430 Spider but realized it wasn't happy at under 4,000 RPM and my ears hurt after 15 minutes. It wasn't practical for me as I needed a DD. But I do love the look of the Spider and might add one just for the weekend if my lifestyle finds room for one.

I was also considering a used low mileage stick-shift DBS which is essentially an upmarket, more dynamic DB9 and has the same body with a higher-end kit. It is more beautiful than the California with a stunning interior. Engine sounds wonderful as well. But it's a much bigger car, drives a lot more like a GT and there were questions regarding how practical it would serve as a DD. It would also have been cheaper than my new Cali30.

Finally, here's a comparison between the stacked exhaust pipes as executed by Ferrari vs. Lexus - IMO, the IS-F rear does look really bad but doesn't resemble the California's at all:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    As in F40 or proper 275 LM?

24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I really like it...and I'm a Maserati guy! :)

If I were to spec one out, and in a couple years I might (when the GranTurismoS is getting a little 'old'), I bet it would be stunning in Grigio Silverstone, Bordeaux interior, Shields, Silver Calipers, and Daytona seats (if they have them for this model that is).

25. Maggio23

Maggio23 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2013
    #175 Maggio23, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017